The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Donosti
Wow that was quick! I was planning on doing it in November :s-smilie:

ooo I am starting this september. Is this thread for september 2011 :rolleyes: silly me
Liv1204

for personal statement, its important to first understand the mission statement of the university you are applying to so that you can derive part of your alignment from therein. i have done mine (draft) and i initially talked about myself (briefly especially where you need to attach a copy of CV). Then i gave my motivation to joining the college/university (this is where i aligned with their mission) and motivation to persue a particular course (you can borrow heavily from your experiences and why you have an interest in Forensic and mental health) then talk about how the objectives of the course (which you will get from the university websites) will support your long term objectives after graduation.....if your university is research based, its important to demonstrate your interest in carrying out research and put a few lines from the course theme and show its relevance in what you already studied at undergraduate....in your case units like abnormal psychology or forensic psychology would really be helpful.....

well, am sharing how i constructed my personal statement and maybe it maybe helpful....let me know if you get more information on this area.....so cheer up and make this an enjoyable writing experience......
MSc International Management.
Reply 23
MFTherapist
Liv1204

for personal statement, its important to first understand the mission statement of the university you are applying to so that you can derive part of your alignment from therein. i have done mine (draft) and i initially talked about myself (briefly especially where you need to attach a copy of CV). Then i gave my motivation to joining the college/university (this is where i aligned with their mission) and motivation to persue a particular course (you can borrow heavily from your experiences and why you have an interest in Forensic and mental health) then talk about how the objectives of the course (which you will get from the university websites) will support your long term objectives after graduation.....if your university is research based, its important to demonstrate your interest in carrying out research and put a few lines from the course theme and show its relevance in what you already studied at undergraduate....in your case units like abnormal psychology or forensic psychology would really be helpful.....

well, am sharing how i constructed my personal statement and maybe it maybe helpful....let me know if you get more information on this area.....so cheer up and make this an enjoyable writing experience......

Heya, thank-you. :smile: That sounds like the kinds of things I was considering putting so it sounds like I'm along the right lines!

I'll let you know if/when I get more information on the area too. :smile:
Reply 24
I will be applying for both a PGCE and PhD. I am trying to short-list which universities for the latter at the moment as I only want to write a small number of applications unlike last year, but I think I will wait until I have started my masters and talk to my new lecturers about it.
Reply 25
Do you have an idea when the application for most universities open? I am trying to complete the application to Warwick (Msc in economics) but I have no idea when the application process really starts.
Reply 26
Started to look at PhD options the past couple of weeks. It's really all about the funding for me, so I will definately be applying where I am now taking my MA, as they have great funding opportunities, but otherwise I'll definately be looking to apply to King's College, Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, and Warwick, for their history PhD programmes.

Like someone above, I'm going to wait until Dec / Jan, in the hopes of a) having coursework results available, and b) for my teachers to know me well enough to give good references to support my application, as these, I've realised from experience, are absolutely crucial.
MSc in Advanced Computer Science, I have started my applications, I just need to finish my personal statements and I can submit my applications.

Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Sheffield, St Andrews, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
MRes Computer Science, I have applied to Staffordshire University. The university is local to me, I have already studied there in p/t mode and 15% discount for being an existing student :smile:
I'm having to put my applications on hold for a couple of weeks - I have an essay due this week and am moving in two weeks. Once my essay is done I can hopefully finish my PS so at least that will be ready to go.
hello :biggrin:

i am applying to Oxford, UCL and KCL for Film :smile:

i registered for Ox on 2nd sep :blush: and then UCL a few days later. I've already done my CV, got two of my references already in and i've applied for my transcript. My funding is all but completed and i'm about to start my PoS. don't even mention the two essays though. or i might kill you. the reason i'm being so efficient is because i want to pretend i don't have two essays to do. and £50 app fee?! WTF.

anywho, good luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 31
francescarella
hello :biggrin:

i am applying to Oxford, UCL and KCL for Film :smile:

i registered for Ox on 2nd sep :blush: and then UCL a few days later. I've already done my CV, got two of my references already in and i've applied for my transcript. My funding is all but completed and i'm about to start my PoS. don't even mention the two essays though. or i might kill you. the reason i'm being so efficient is because i want to pretend i don't have two essays to do. and £50 app fee?! WTF.

anywho, good luck everyone :biggrin:

Oxford require three references, and their application fee is (or at least it was last year) £25 per programme.
evantej
Oxford require three references, and their application fee is (or at least it was last year) £25 per programme.

i said "two of my references", implying there is more to be had, and actually, it is £50 this year. unfortunately.
Reply 33
francescarella
i said "two of my references", implying there is more to be had, and actually, it is £50 this year. unfortunately.

Haha, oh my. I know one place I will not be applying this year!
Reply 34
francescarella

Haha. You neg repped me? You sad stupid little girl. I was actually trying to be helpful...
evantej
Haha. You neg repped me? You sad stupid little girl. I was actually trying to be helpful...

well you should learn to read, and do your research before jumping straight in to correct me, when in fact what I said was right all along. So actually, you came across as sad and stupid, not me.
francescarella

£50 just to apply :eek3:

Are those courses practical or theory based?
~ Mandy
£50 just to apply :eek3:

Are those courses practical or theory based?

i know! Theory, as far as I'm aware.
Reply 38
I will also apply to LSE for 2011, probably MSc Management. Does anyone in here plan on doing the same? What is the average GMAT? I heard last intake they took a lot of people with a 470?
Matrick
I will also apply to LSE for 2011, probably MSc Management. Does anyone in here plan on doing the same? What is the average GMAT? I heard last intake they took a lot of people with a 470?

470 GMAT ? I think it's very low. School like HEC ask for something like 700, it's doubtful that LSE as lower criteria.

From their FAQ :
What is the minimum GMAT or GRE score required?
There is no minimum GMAT score required to apply for MIF. The average GMAT score of the 2009 intake is 720. Similar performance is expected from candidates submitting GRE scores (average of verbal and quantitative scores)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending