The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications 2011

Scroll to see replies

Dexter1865
Well I'll probably apply in 2012, so I'm being ultra eager :wink: Although am looking now in case I do want to apply for 2011 entry.

A few things I was wondering, I dont know if people can help
a) Are you applying for back up choices? I don't know if I should look into lesser universities courses, in case the better ones turn me down.

b) This may sound silly, but I only just scraped a 2:1. I had some issues in my second year and left myself a lot to do in the third year, which thankfully I achieved! If they look at my transcripts will this be frowned upon at all?

c) References. I've not really kept in touch with undergrad tutors. Would they be happy for me to come out of the woodwork and ask for a reference? :o:

a - It seems reasonable to have back-up option. Myself I choose some uni such as Lancaster and Leeds as back up (and hopefully got an offer from Leeds). I think choosing one or two uni a bit under your standard is a good security (especially if you tend to be an anxious person as I am).

b - if it's not super competitive it would be ok I think.

c - I have not left uni yet so I can't provide you with advice here.
(edited 13 years ago)
A 2:1 is a 2:1, unless it is a very competitive course and they ask for a 'high' one. Some courses will take 2:2s, some will take lower results than usual if you have a lot of work experience.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey, does anyone have references yet? When do you think we should be getting them? Classes haven't been running long so I don't feel like it's appropriate to ask my lecturers yet as they don't know me well. I do have a personal tutor but I've only seen him 2 or 3 times the whole time I've been at Uni lol, should I approach him about it?
Any help/info appreciated! :smile:
Reply 63
hi people, do not make the same mistake like i did. Make sure you email the university about the fees and if you are going to go away from home do some research about the accommodation and so on.And make sure your are going to be able to afford the fees, book an so on. good luck to us i have to re-apply this year.
Blueflare
Hey, does anyone have references yet? When do you think we should be getting them? Classes haven't been running long so I don't feel like it's appropriate to ask my lecturers yet as they don't know me well. I do have a personal tutor but I've only seen him 2 or 3 times the whole time I've been at Uni lol, should I approach him about it?
Any help/info appreciated! :smile:

Ideally asap. I didn't feel 100% comfortable asking my project supervisor for a reference, given i'd met her on a handful of occasions.
She asked me to send my CV and she'll be able to tease some info aswell as writing out some stuff of her own.

Im sure all lecturers are aware that they may get asked for references so just get on with it imo.
Reply 65
lisafelix
hi people, do not make the same mistake like i did. Make sure you email the university about the fees and if you are going to go away from home do some research about the accommodation and so on.And make sure your are going to be able to afford the fees, book an so on. good luck to us i have to re-apply this year.

What happened?

Blueflare, I suppose it depends whether you know them or not. Since I moved to a new university for postgraduate, I am not going to ask them until just before Christmas (or after depending on AHRC deadlines). But for my PGCE application, I have already asked my old programme leader and she said yes.
Reply 66
I'm applying to King's, Southampton, Cambridge, and Holloway for MPhil in Music. All my applications are in - Time to wait! :smile:
I'm applying to a bunch of American & Canadian universities and probably Cambridge, maybe Oxford. Might as well try again after being rejected for undergrad! :smile:
Reply 68
forpolarbears
I'm applying to a bunch of American & Canadian universities and probably Cambridge, maybe Oxford. Might as well try again after being rejected for undergrad! :smile:

That will cost quite a lot considering most American universities charge (right?) and Oxford has increased their application fee; unsure about Cambridge, but I assume it is the same.
Viceroy
I'm applying to King's, Southampton, Cambridge, and Holloway for MPhil in Music. All my applications are in - Time to wait! :smile:

Good luck :smile:
My ideal course is UCL for Central and South Eastern European studies :smile: I am in the process of applying, but it's a slow process as I don't reeaaallly know what I'm supposed to be doing....
Reply 71
Applying for IT conversion courses - entry 2011, and looking at
Glasgow - MSc Information Technology
Stirling - MSc Information Technology
Cardiff - MSc Computing
Aberdeen - MSc Information Technology

Not sure about Aberdeen though, don't think it is going to offer what I want in terms of programming languages, and I feel I might be considering it just because it feels like an 'easy option' seeings as I did my undergrad there. Cardiff's looks good for programming, but there's a funding issue there. If I go to one of the Scottish universities, it's highly likely (but not for certain) that my fees will be paid for, in much the same manner that my undergrad was paid for, but not if I go outside Scotland, so I'm in two minds what's for best.
Thankfully I've confirmed who my referees will be, just need to start chasing them up about writing them. Bit nervous about writing the personal statement though, been a while since I did anything like that.
evantej
That will cost quite a lot considering most American universities charge (right?) and Oxford has increased their application fee; unsure about Cambridge, but I assume it is the same.

American universities charge for the application, but in my field, university/external funding exists, albeit very competitively and generally only fully-funded for the PhD. Which probably means I should just rule out Oxford & Cambridge...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 73
forpolarbears
American universities charge for the application, but in my field, university/external funding exists, albeit very competitively and generally only fully-funded for the PhD. Which probably means I should just rule out Oxford & Cambridge...

Funding exists and is competitive in almost all fields; I would not let that put you off applying to Cambridge and Oxford if that is where you would like to study.
I sent all of my applications in yesterday, just need to send copies of my crtificates.

I'm already checking my e-mails obsessively :sigh:
Reply 75
Original post by ~ Mandy ~
I sent all of my applications in yesterday, just need to send copies of my crtificates.

I'm already checking my e-mails obsessively :sigh:

The quickest reply you are likely to get is two to three weeks; some universities can take months. I know this is not what you want to hear... :biggrin:
I know, but I still can't help it :p:
Reply 77
Original post by ~ Mandy ~
I know, but I still can't help it :p:

Me neither :smile:
Original post by ketisfolk
Applying for IT conversion courses - entry 2011, and looking at
Glasgow - MSc Information Technology
Stirling - MSc Information Technology
Cardiff - MSc Computing
Aberdeen - MSc Information Technology

Not sure about Aberdeen though, don't think it is going to offer what I want in terms of programming languages, and I feel I might be considering it just because it feels like an 'easy option' seeings as I did my undergrad there. Cardiff's looks good for programming, but there's a funding issue there. If I go to one of the Scottish universities, it's highly likely (but not for certain) that my fees will be paid for, in much the same manner that my undergrad was paid for, but not if I go outside Scotland, so I'm in two minds what's for best.
Thankfully I've confirmed who my referees will be, just need to start chasing them up about writing them. Bit nervous about writing the personal statement though, been a while since I did anything like that.

Being a CS student and from abroad I don't understand what IT is supposed to be. I think Glasgow is the best among those you cited.

Question why you don't apply to conversion course in CS ? I saw some in good unis.
Reply 79
I am thinking about applying for PhDs at a few unis for 2011, but might leave it till next year as I don't really know anyone well enough at my masters uni to give me a good reference yet...that and I don't think I'm deep enough into my project at the moment to stand up at interview very well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending