The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I applied to Manchester Business School for MSc Finance on Tuesday. I got a rejection yesterday. Do they really dish out acceptance/rejection this quickly?

I had submitted every document that they required. In the rejection email, the admission officer mentioned six other programmes to which I can apply and my application would be re-considered. Is this a normal practice? I have also applied Warwick for the same program and now I am quite fearful.

I have a C-GPA of 2.93. A's in in my Finance Elective courses and I have relevant work experience too. Currently I am also the President of Investment Club and VP of Finance Society. I mentioned all these positions in the statement of purpose too. I just cannot comprehend how can they reject me this quickly. Anyone has any idea?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by moony12
I applied to Manchester Business School for MSc Finance on Tuesday. I got a rejection yesterday. Do they really dish out acceptance/rejection this quickly?

I had submitted every document that they required. I the rejection email, the admission mentioned six other programmes to which I can apply and my application would be re-considered. Is this a normal practice? I have also applied Warwick for the same program and now I am quite fearful.

I have a C-GPA of 2.93. A's in in my Finance Elective courses and I have relevant work experience too. Currently I am also the President of Investment Club and VP of Finance Society. I mentioned all these positions in the statement of purpose too. I just cannot comprehend how can they reject me this quickly. Anyone has any idea?

Your GPA is awful. You would need at least a 3.4 to stand a chance at any decent university for MSc Finance.
Reply 82
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Your GPA is awful. You would need at least a 3.4 to stand a chance at any decent university for MSc Finance.

My friend last year got accepted to the msc finance program with a gpa of 2.9. MBS gave him a conditional offer to maintain the gpa at 2.9. He even had less experience than me.
Reply 83
Original post by Nichrome
I am thinking about applying for PhDs at a few unis for 2011, but might leave it till next year as I don't really know anyone well enough at my masters uni to give me a good reference yet...that and I don't think I'm deep enough into my project at the moment to stand up at interview very well.

I feel like this too, but I actually had an informal meeting with both my dissertation supervisors earlier this week; they were both pleased to see that I was planning in advance, and the meeting itself was at least 'a term earlier than it usually would have been'. But it was not just about planning ahead, but also about them getting to know me personally so that I can ask them for a reference without feeling weird. I take a unit with one of them in this term, but the second I only meet once formally (he teaches a text for two weeks on one of my core units) in my first term. I am taking a independent study unit with him in my second term too, but that is not really helpful if funding deadlines for a PhD are early next year.

I think I might have to wait a year anyway as most PhD programmes, especially in the states, require language skills that I simply do not have at the moment. :frown:
Have you asked for feedback Moony?

I got a letter from Chester yesterday, acknowledging my application, I knew it would be that but I was still scared to open it :p:

I've been waiting to apply for months and was reasonably confident about my experience etc, but now I have applied all I can think about is what I haven't done that other people might have :cry2:
Reply 85
What up ya'll?

I have made the following applications for PhD study 2011 start:

KCL: waiting for decision - 01/11 start.
Bristol: "
Exeter: Unconditional. 10/11 start.
Hi guys :smile:

I want to apply for a MSc Psychology (conversion course + MSc degree).

Is it true that UK Unis (I'm german, but I'm on a regular course for my B.A not study abroad and I still have no idea about the system here :/ ) operate on a 'first come, first serve' basis? I really want to try applying at St. Andrews but they want a piece of academic writing from your dissertation... and I won't have anything decent to present until the end of January :frown: Is it too risky to wait that long with the application? They officially don't close before May but I'm just worried since it's just a popular University, all the places might be gone by then :s-smilie:

Any advice on this is very appreciated!
It would probably be best to contact the university directly, because they will be able to advise you :smile:
Reply 88
Applied/Applying to KCL, Kent, Queen's Belfast, Leeds, Aberystwyth, Nottingham, and Salford all for programs in terrorism and security studies.

Anyone else in that field or in global politics in general?

James
Reply 89
Original post by LysFromParis

Being a CS student and from abroad I don't understand what IT is supposed to be. I think Glasgow is the best among those you cited.

Question why you don't apply to conversion course in CS ? I saw some in good unis.

IT = Information Technology, and usually it brings to mind using applications such as microsoft office on a computer to complete a task, rather than 'higher level' stuff like programming. But for the basis of this, MSc Information Technology and MSc Computing Science are one and the same. For some reason, Scottish universities call the CS conversion course IT, even though they teach the same thing (broadly, obviously it varies from university to university). I don't know why, but that's how it is. Hope that clarifies things.
Original post by ~ Mandy ~
It would probably be best to contact the university directly, because they will be able to advise you :smile:

I sent them an e-mail yesterday. Thanks :smile:
Reply 91
Are you guys just applying to each uni individually? I take it there is no UCAS equivalent?
Original post by Strider_
Are you guys just applying to each uni individually? I take it there is no UCAS equivalent?

No, no UCAS equivalent for postgraduate courses. You apply individually.

Can I just ask, how do you apply for two courses at the same place? You would send in two separate application forms right? Sorry, really simple question!
Original post by Formerly LieDown
No, no UCAS equivalent for postgraduate courses. You apply individually.

Can I just ask, how do you apply for two courses at the same place? You would send in two separate application forms right? Sorry, really simple question!

You can apply through internet, when you made your first application they give you opportunity to add additional one. You have to provide a PS and Reference for each application but you don't need to re-upload your transcript and certificate.
You can apply through internet, when you made your first application they give you opportunity to add additional one. You have to provide a PS and Reference for each application but you don't need to re-upload your transcript and certificate.

Brill, thanks :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by jqs711
Applied/Applying to KCL, Kent, Queen's Belfast, Leeds, Aberystwyth, Nottingham, and Salford all for programs in terrorism and security studies.

Anyone else in that field or in global politics in general?

James

Dude,

This is my exact field. I have a BA in History and an MA in Intl Relations. My PhD research proposal focuses on US security policy in the greater Middle East.

Do you have a sister? :biggrin:
Reply 96
Any biosciences students applying for postgraduate studies?
Original post by SelfAdict
Any biosciences students applying for postgraduate studies?

Does chemical biology count?
Still getting my application together here. I'm a bit concerned about my primary referee: he taught me last year, and agreed to give me an academic reference. The trouble is I'm not convinced that he can actually remember anything about my work. I emailed him today to get his final go ahead and asked him what he would need from me (thinking he might ask for a recent sample of my work, perhaps), but his response is a "that'll be fine" one-liner :s-smilie:

My other referee couldn't be more different: she's offered to help me with the application and shows a keen interest in what I'm doing. Should I be concerned that my main referee is showing such a lack of interest? I realise he's busy, but wonder how he's going to write a reference for me when he hasn't taught me for over a year and - to be frank - would probably struggle to remember who the hell I am.

Any advice anyone?
Ugh these applications are driving me crazy :s-smilie: Is there a general deadline for accepting an offer? I'm a little worried .. like, if I'm accepted by a university which is not my first choice before I hear back from the other one... how long can I hold them off? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending