The Student Room Group

Do you international students have lot of British friends?

Scroll to see replies

I've never had any issue making friends with 'pure white English' people, as some are suggesting. I suppose I don't fully count as an international student because I've got a British passport and my dad is half English/half Irish, but until I moved here three years ago, the last time I set foot in UK was in flight transit. Other than that, I was born in Asia and grew up in Asia, so I do still think of myself as a foreigner. And, as you can tell by my accent and the culture I grew up with, I'm definitely not from here. Either way, my British friends have never thought bad of me for it and most are actually quite interested in it. To say otherwise is being unfair on people from here and putting them into a horrid little box they do not fit nor belong in.
Reply 21
Weird thread........ I been an overseas student in UK, USA and an exchange student in Australia and Sweden.

Friends, while I was in USA, my closest friends were 2 Brits :smile: But having said that I was also friends with many Americans. It was a great experience because for the most part no one cares where you came from and no one gives a damn about anything else other than whether you're a fun person to be around or not :biggrin:

While I was an exchange student in Sweden, this was the strangest ever place I had been to. My exchange batch, I was the only undergraduate, only one who studied business as that school was mostly known for its sciences. All the other international students were either graduate or post-grad students, so we had little in common....... ended up mixing with people who were in the same field of study and they were either Swedes, Norwegians or Finns. The whole group were a close knit bunch, and we used to love our time together as we would have a curry night every Friday after a trip to the system bolaget ;P It was a blast and tbh at the beginning I thought I wouldn't enjoy my time there..... but summer came, I didn't want to leave LOL.

Time in Australia..... tbh I hated my time there. But I hung out with loads of their domestic students.

Time in UK, I went to a university that was 85% White British students. Flatmates were all White British, never had problems mixing with them including the 2 Londoners. The ones I was really close to were the EU exchange students and other overseas students though, just felt more in common and it made the time more memorable. However I only hung out minimally with people from my home country. Brits, there were a lot I got to know well from my course, flat and societies, but the true ones that I am closer to are those from the car club I joined while in UK. Generally I think to sum it up, as an overseas students, you will have many friends of all colours and nationalities if you choose to make the effort.
Original post by Iorek
Weird thread........ I been an overseas student in UK, USA and an exchange student in Australia and Sweden.

Friends, while I was in USA, my closest friends were 2 Brits :smile: But having said that I was also friends with many Americans. It was a great experience because for the most part no one cares where you came from and no one gives a damn about anything else other than whether you're a fun person to be around or not :biggrin:

While I was an exchange student in Sweden, this was the strangest ever place I had been to. My exchange batch, I was the only undergraduate, only one who studied business as that school was mostly known for its sciences. All the other international students were either graduate or post-grad students, so we had little in common....... ended up mixing with people who were in the same field of study and they were either Swedes, Norwegians or Finns. The whole group were a close knit bunch, and we used to love our time together as we would have a curry night every Friday after a trip to the system bolaget ;P It was a blast and tbh at the beginning I thought I wouldn't enjoy my time there..... but summer came, I didn't want to leave LOL.

Time in Australia..... tbh I hated my time there. But I hung out with loads of their domestic students.

Time in UK, I went to a university that was 85% White British students. Flatmates were all White British, never had problems mixing with them including the 2 Londoners. The ones I was really close to were the EU exchange students and other overseas students though, just felt more in common and it made the time more memorable. However I only hung out minimally with people from my home country. Brits, there were a lot I got to know well from my course, flat and societies, but the true ones that I am closer to are those from the car club I joined while in UK. Generally I think to sum it up, as an overseas students, you will have many friends of all colours and nationalities if you choose to make the effort.

What was wrong with Australia?
do i have a lot of british friends? - no. mostly because i haven't many friends of any nationality,full-stop ;'D
Original post by scandal
As far as I know some people are likely to be in their own groups depending on their they came from or other reasons. And British people are not interested in making friends with people from other countries

I go to a boarding school in the UK, and apart from maybe a handful of my friends, they're all British. Which is the annoying part XD 'Cus now I only keep in touch with about 5/6 people from back home.

But I know what you mean; I spent the entire of Year 7 as an outcast, and it wasn't exactly fun. Now it gets on my nerves when everyone always says that I'm 'basically British'. Meh.

I think that there's a split when the international student feels more comfortable around the group that comes from the same place, and so they never get out of the phase of being an 'outsider' from the British students. I don't really think that it ever happens purposefully, though.
Reply 25
well I'm asian so i guess i get a pretty good say in this..

It really depends on the Asian person. Asians that understand and can speak english relatively well or used to go to an international school where english is taught as their first language tend to be more sociable in international countries such as UK since they can actually communicate with each other and find no difficulty understand what others are talking about.

Majority of Asians that go to the UK and study there can't really speak english as well as some others can, they feel kind of stupid and hard sort of pressured when speaking english to an english speaking person, worried that they might think theyre stupid or something therefore as part of preservation instinct or something stick with each other in their comfort zone.

So yea some do have a lot and some don't. I was fortunate enough to go to an international school here in HK and english is literally my first language, chinese is a difficulty for me. Imagine how that feels like, being chinese but unable to actually read or write it. :colondollar: Ironically i don't get along well with asians since i cant really speak chinese properly and they just sort of avoid me.....
(edited 13 years ago)
I have no probelem with Internation friends. The more the better. Especially when they are diverse and come from all over the world. It makes the friendship interesting.

However what I don't like is those who stick to their own ethnic groups. For example, Chinese students stick with Chinese. Or Indian students sticking with Indians. When they form a group like that, what chance to brits have of forming a friendship with them. On the other hand, I can understand why they would do that. Being in a new country, alone, must be a new but also terrifying experience.
Reply 27
Original post by asdfg0987
What was wrong with Australia?

It's shorter to say what's right about it :smile:

The weather tbh :biggrin:
Reply 28
im goin to the uk this coming fall! im really excited about it and am really looking forward to meeting more friends of different natonalities.

i am sure many international students feel this way, but many a times, they arent able to do it, mayb 'cause they're shy?

well, for the locals, u have to understand that being in a foreign country in which almost everyone is of a different race as u can be quite intimidating. they're usually alone in an unfamiliar place, it's very natural for them to look for people who have something in common with them, i.e. people from their very own country.
in my opinion, asians in GENERAL are a little more introvert compared to westerners (no offence, just my personal opinion, im sorry if anyone feels differently), and some of my friends have concerns that westerners may look down on them, due to reasons such as not-so-good english?
so i think the locals should be more friendly towards them, n make them feel welcomed and that u're sincere in making friends with them. (not saying that u arent already doing so)

for international students, i think that after u've establish ur own circle of friends of your nationality and race, u should start mixing around outside ur group n meet some students of different race/nationalites. u dont expect a local british to approach a large group of chinese and try make friends with u. it's as intimidating for them as it is for u to go up and talk to a gang of brits. and especially when a local students takes the initiative, dont shun him away. talk to him and c if u guys have anything in common.
besides the best part about overseas studies is to make friends from alll over the world. y waste the money if u are just goin to stick to people of your own nationality.

the relationship between people is a 2-way thing. so this's jsut my view on how to make things work. hope i can practise what i preach. haha. looking forward to september!
Reply 29
Original post by scandal
As far as I know some people are likely to be in their own groups depending on their they came from or other reasons. And British people are not interested in making friends with people from other countries

2 years here.

New friends: 6

of which

British: 0

Europeans: 6

I don't get on with British at all.
Reply 30
Well, I have not yet moved to the UK, and I would love to find British friends, and moving there without knowing anyone frightens me... So I hope I will get along with them even though I am foreign.
Reply 31
I have a descent amount of British friends, they love to party that;s for sure, so at least I always have that option to party with them :smile:
Reply 32
This so good that you want make new friends from out of country,,, am from Pakistan
Original post by cm123
well I'm asian so i guess i get a pretty good say in this..

It really depends on the Asian person. Asians that understand and can speak english relatively well or used to go to an international school where english is taught as their first language tend to be more sociable in international countries such as UK since they can actually communicate with each other and find no difficulty understand what others are talking about.

Majority of Asians that go to the UK and study there can't really speak english as well as some others can, they feel kind of stupid and hard sort of pressured when speaking english to an english speaking person, worried that they might think theyre stupid or something therefore as part of preservation instinct or something stick with each other in their comfort zone.

So yea some do have a lot and some don't. I was fortunate enough to go to an international school here in HK and english is literally my first language, chinese is a difficulty for me. Imagine how that feels like, being chinese but unable to actually read or write it. :colondollar: Ironically i don't get along well with asians since i cant really speak chinese properly and they just sort of avoid me.....

i agree with this...i'm not asian but i do live in asia. :biggrin:
even at international schools in asia there's an obvious split between the foreigners and the asians. some of the more outgoing asians will hang out in both social groups, but others, especially those who struggle with english, will stay with others who can speak their language and understand their culture. but, i've always felt that if you do reach out to them, they're very nice and open and slowly you'll be building a friendship.

oh, and when people are in a foreign country they'll probably feel slightly alienated and they're away from their family/friends etc...so, obviously, when they do meet someone from their home country they're gonna connect and feel less alone.
I've got friends from loads of different countries: Sweden, Greece, Cyprus, Poland, etc. The majority are British, though. So, they're definitely not afraid of making international friends.
Reply 35
Hi new here . From Malaysia .
Long ago I talked and befriended a Englishman from UK .
He's kinda old , we differs from sky and earth but do talk pretty well ~
We went for some drinks ,we were talking a lot that I even gave him my contact .
Great day .

But just a question ? Do usually English feel that we are not welcoming enough if we refuse for more drinks ?
I'm Chinese and its not coz' I'm a Chinese that I refuse for more drink but its just the way I behave .
I just can't spend a friends money too much even he's buying .
Reply 36
keep on sharing i like this ,,,,
At least he was politically correct and said international students :biggrin:
Reply 38
i'm thai, i don't have many british friends. its ok, its just that we don't have that much in common i guess.
Original post by mr wong

Original post by mr wong
Hi new here . From Malaysia .
Long ago I talked and befriended a Englishman from UK .
He's kinda old , we differs from sky and earth but do talk pretty well ~
We went for some drinks ,we were talking a lot that I even gave him my contact .
Great day .

But just a question ? Do usually English feel that we are not welcoming enough if we refuse for more drinks ?
I'm Chinese and its not coz' I'm a Chinese that I refuse for more drink but its just the way I behave .
I just can't spend a friends money too much even he's buying .

Dear friend

There are good and bad people all around the world. I am not telling all the English people bad or wicked, but 98% of them(white) are racist. If you want to have the proof, you need to study true history and interact with English people in the towns and villages. London is different. Racism is a part of human nature. Everwhere it is. But English people should not use media to expose themselves as..

Quick Reply

Latest