The Student Room Group

Computing course personal statement

Hey all :smile:
I'm currently trying to write my ps for internet computing, digital systems and multimedia, and computer science courses, but i'm pretty much at a loss as to what to write... do i need to show extensive knowledge of the course content, or will they expect my knowledge to be basic? I would LOVE the opportunity to learn more about computing, it's just i don't know anything much at the moment!
If anyone would be willing to pm me a ps just to get the jist from i'd be eternally grateful :smile: or if you're on a course similar to one i've listed, if anyone would be able to outline the course content and give me some ideas for the ps i'd really appreciate it :smile: Thanx in advance guys :p:
Reply 1
If you've got any experience then it will put you at a great advantage to put that in your personal statement. Otherwise, just say why you think you'd make a good computer science student. i.e. Talk about any skills you may have which could be transfered and made usable in computer science (maths, logical thinking, problem solving, etc).

Also, anywhere you will apply to will want to know about you in general as a person. What are your interests?, any work experience you may have, etc. You could also explain why you think your subjects are good for someone applying to a computing course and something I think is very important: what you want to do with your degree once you have graduated.
Reply 2
I applied for those courses. I can help you with your personal statement.

Sample Computing/IT personal statements: http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/getpscourse.asp?type=12
Reply 3
Thanks so much for those, i was really expecting them to start talking about robotics and graphics and everything lol :redface: i really hope i'm not at a severe disadvantage as far as maths is concerned, i got a B at GCSE but didn't do A-Level. And ICT GCSE was a joke, so they didn't even consider running it at A-Level :frown: Thanks again guys, that was really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 4
AlbelNox
Thanks so much for those, i was really expecting them to start talking about robotics and graphics and everything lol :redface: i really hope i'm not at a severe disadvantage as far as maths is concerned, i got a B at GCSE but didn't do A-Level. And ICT GCSE was a joke, so they didn't even consider running it at A-Level :frown: Thanks again guys, that was really helpful :biggrin:

You're welcome.

You could talk about the robotics and graphics stuff. Just follow the phrasology (sp?) on how they explain some aspects of computing, and you will be fine. You can post in this forum where a university student to check the personal statement for you. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/f185.html

I would check the entry requirements for the uni's you are interested in to studying computer science and similar type of computing courses to see if they want AS/A-level maths. If they don't, you will be fine, as you have GCSE Maths at grade C or above.

Latest

Trending

Trending