The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suki92
Offer from Birmingham L100 Economics AAB

Applied to: LSE, UCL, Bristol (Economics & Finance), Nottingham and Bristol

GCSE:11A*
AS:4As - Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Mathematics
A2 Predictions : 3A*s (dropped biology) and an A* in the EPQ

Was wondering about my chances about getting into LSE and UCL, due to my lack of further maths anybody got any comments? Quote in replys please.

Cheers

hey, when did you apply?
Reply 701
Original post by SPMS
Actually you won't be as disadvantaged as you might think.
Could you take it in YR 13 at AS level then email LSE/UCL about it.
However, don't worry too much about it.
Did you have the opportunity to do Further Maths?

Well basically i didn't realise it was as advantageous and something that most uni's prefer for a pure economics degree as when i chose my A level choices in year 11 i wanted to keep my options open between medicine and economics so i chose bio, econ, chem and maths.
When i was told it would be better to have it in year 12 my subjects couldn't be rescheduled to fit it in so i had to carry on with my original choices.
Reply 702
Original post by thesnowman
hey, when did you apply?

My UCAS form was sent off by my school a month ago today. I've heard Birmingham use GCSE grades alot to differentiate so if you didn't get 10+ A*s i wouldn't worry about it too much; it just means they'll look at your application a bit later on.
Hope that helps.
Reply 703
Original post by suki92
Well basically i didn't realise it was as advantageous and something that most uni's prefer for a pure economics degree as when i chose my A level choices in year 11 i wanted to keep my options open between medicine and economics so i chose bio, econ, chem and maths.
When i was told it would be better to have it in year 12 my subjects couldn't be rescheduled to fit it in so i had to carry on with my original choices.

You do have the option of doing the AS or even A level in year 13 and it would benefit you hugely, just I would both ring and email both UCL and LSE and get confirmation that they now know you are self studying Further Maths to A2 or something along them lines, otherwise you could be doing Further Maths for no benefit to your application. Good luck though.
Reply 704
**** if Birm rejected me, what are the chances of getting an offer from UCL/LSE/Cam...
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 705
I was gonna apply to LSE.. but I rang them up and said I would be at a disadvantage without further maths?! but UCL said it was fine if I didn't do it they just wanted a* prediction in maths
I wanna hear from UCL :frown:
Reply 706
Original post by Mdawg

Original post by Mdawg
It's their official offer for this year.

btw i also applied for jesus college cambridge!!!
and i had my interview on 6.12.10 as well... i think we might have met, maybe when we were doing the tsa??
good luck!!

Economics
Warwick
A*AAA (with maths and further maths as part of the offer)
Reply 707
Course: Economics and Management
University: Oxford! Pembroke College
Grades: AAA

Oh yes :biggrin:
BA Economics Essex Uni -ABC-
Reply 709
Original post by plinguu
btw i also applied for jesus college cambridge!!!
and i had my interview on 6.12.10 as well... i think we might have met, maybe when we were doing the tsa??
good luck!!

Economics
Warwick
A*AAA (with maths and further maths as part of the offer)

Were you in the TSA that got delayed like 10 minutes, and the supervisor guy had left his Facebook on all the computers?
Original post by suki92
My UCAS form was sent off by my school a month ago today. I've heard Birmingham use GCSE grades alot to differentiate so if you didn't get 10+ A*s i wouldn't worry about it too much; it just means they'll look at your application a bit later on.
Hope that helps.

Yeap that actually has releived me quite a bit! I applied about 5 weeks ago, with A* 10 A's and B at GCSE so that would explain it
Reply 711
Original post by suki92
Offer from Birmingham L100 Economics AAB

Applied to: LSE, UCL, Bristol (Economics & Finance), Nottingham and Bristol

GCSE:11A*
AS:4As - Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Mathematics
A2 Predictions : 3A*s (dropped biology) and an A* in the EPQ

Was wondering about my chances about getting into LSE and UCL, due to my lack of further maths anybody got any comments? Quote in replys please.

Cheers

I got into both LSE and UCL without further maths. :biggrin: But I did do 4 A-Levels. Might as well take a chance. Hope your personal statement is good!
Did everyone who got rejected from Bristol get asked if they would like to be considered for their management course?
Reply 713
no i just got a rejection plain...
Course: Economics L100 (Deferred)
Uni: Newcastle
Offer: AAB

Applied 15th November, got offer on the 10th of December.
Studying Economics, Chemistry and Biology.
Reply 715
Original post by Mdawg
Were you in the TSA that got delayed like 10 minutes, and the supervisor guy had left his Facebook on all the computers?

I was as well!! Wow that makes 3 of us here that were in that room :eek:

And yh i thought we had done the hard part but no that tsa was seriously difficult....

Oh well good luck everyone :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 716
Original post by darrold
I got into both LSE and UCL without further maths. :biggrin: But I did do 4 A-Levels. Might as well take a chance. Hope your personal statement is good!

Oh okay, thats reassuring news! I'm doing the EPQ and counts as a 4th A2. I chose to do that rather than carrying on with all 4 A levels as i was told universities prefer it as its the same workload as an A2 but its completely independent and helps develop skills that you need for undergraduate study.
Time will tell i guess!
Original post by Byrney11
has anyone got university of surrey and sussex offers yet......... what are the grades that they are offering out

I've got an offer from Surrey of ABB
Reply 718
Original post by suki92
Hope that helps.

ye they must only be looking at people with 5A*'s and above as amarcou has 5, and he recently got an offer, and i have 4 and have heard nothing :/
Original post by Wezzler
ye they must only be looking at people with 5A*'s and above as amarcou has 5, and he recently got an offer, and i have 4 and have heard nothing :/

hmm same and I sent mine off on the 14th of October at least we haven't been rejected yet..........

Latest

Trending

Trending