The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alidawwggg
ahahah thanks ahahahah

i hope not cuz mine are HIGGHH :P

Calm down XD

I'm also worried about this. I don't know what to have as a back up either, as in, I don't know what's 'too low' for me =\
Reply 21
CityOfMyHeart
Calm down XD

I'm also worried about this. I don't know what to have as a back up either, as in, I don't know what's 'too low' for me =\

OHHHH ahaha some one said can you get rejected for having high eyebrows ahahah and i said mine are HIGGGH ahah not my grades :P

but i do what you mean i picked choices on a basis of where i want to move too :P
aha x
alidawwggg
OHHHH ahaha some one said can you get rejected for having high eyebrows ahahah and i said mine are HIGGGH ahah not my grades :P

but i do what you mean i picked choices on a basis of where i want to move too :P
aha x

Oh right. Your backwards spelling of 'haha' is making me cringe.. aha..aha..XD
Edinburgh don't like English students especially from the South East so any excuse to get rid of them they use.
Reply 24
dotty_but_good
Edinburgh don't like English students especially from the South East so any excuse to get rid of them they use.
Nonsense again. In fact, a very large proportion of Edinburgh's students come from the South East.

What you are thinking of is that they do explicitly give a degree of priority to applicants from their local area - which stretches down into the North of England. It does not mean that they look for reasons not to take people from the South; it just means that it's rather more competitive for them and different things get used as tie-breakers.
Reply 25
Minerva
Nonsense again. In fact, a very large proportion of Edinburgh's students come from the South East.

What you are thinking of is that they do explicitly give a degree of priority to applicants from their local area - which stretches down into the North of England. It does not mean that they look for reasons not to take people from the South; it just means that it's rather more competitive for them and different things get used as tie-breakers.

Indeed and by north of England Minerva (hopefully) means the proper north :p: Northumberland, Cumbria, Tyne and Wear and Durham. I can't remember whether Teesside was ever included but it's Yorkshire in all honesty.

Although I was discussing this in a thread a few weeks ago and we couldn't find any mention of this policy on the website anymore. This doesn't mean it has been dropped but, if it has, then this just reinforces the point that they don't dislike English students.

To say Edinburgh don't like English students, even those from the south east, is complete tosh. As Minerva has said you only need to have a look at the numbers of English students at Edinburgh. It still remains a popular university across the UK and is, as far as I'm aware, the most popular destination for Harrow students. Newcastle was most popular, with Edinburgh second, but Edinburgh has now overtaken it (in order of popularity Edinburgh, then Oxford, then Newcastle I think).

Harrow's in the south of England. Or it was last time I checked.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
River85
Indeed and by north of England Minerva (hopefully) means the proper north Northumberland, Cumbria, Tyne and Wear and Durham. I can't remember whether Teesside was ever included but it's Yorkshire in all honesty.
She does :tongue:
River85

Which loophole is that?

The offer was 3As including an A in either Art or Design/Technology. They got 4As and were rejected on the grounds that they got As in both subjects specified. Not so much a loophole as just making use of an ambiguous offer, perhaps...
Reply 28
readingr
Yes. My friend applied to Edinburgh and got rejected because they thought she was Cambridge material. She did get an offer from Cambridge but put it second choice behind Bristol... idiot :facepalm:

I'm going to call you out on this one. I really hate when people say he/she got rejected because "insert some obscene reason." Unless the admissions tutor specifically wrote a later explaining that she could have got into Cambridge, and therefore rejected her...I don't believe this is why. She didn't get into Edinburgh but got into Cambridge. Leave it at that. Shows admissions is tough. You have absolutely no idea why she was rejected. Don't even pretend you do by using some lame rumor as an excuse.

Latest

Trending

Trending