The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
alidawwggg
hiii! , i heard that a university can reject you for having too high grades?

im not big headed or anything i just really want to go to bedfordshire university and the only want a BCC , but im predicted to get a AAB :P
would they care? :smile:

In short, no you can't. But they do have this thing called Adjustment for people that have exceeded their offers. I don't really think it did much for people this year though, considering so many people with high grades missed out on uni places.
Reply 2
Theyre likely to give you a scholarship (thousands of pounds)
Reply 3
Naffy
Theyre likely to give you a scholarship (thousands of pounds)

ahaha
now tht cant be a bad thing xD
Reply 4
Yes. My friend applied to Edinburgh and got rejected because they thought she was Cambridge material. She did get an offer from Cambridge but put it second choice behind Bristol... idiot :facepalm:
No - if you're rejected there's always a different reason (poor personal statement, lack of extracurricular involvement, etc) other than you exceeding their offer. If you want to go to Bedfordshire then go for it but you might not find the course particularly challenging.
Reply 6
readingr
Yes. My friend applied to Edinburgh and got rejected because they thought she was Cambridge material. She did get an offer from Cambridge but put it second choice behind Bristol... idiot :facepalm:

Agree.
readingr

Ultimate :facepalm:

and another one for Edinburgh :facepalm:

Also, I know someone who did get rejected this year because there grades were too high. However the course was oversubscribed and the university was looking for loopholes to cut down numbers. In your case, you aren't applying to a highly applied-to course, so having high grades will only benefit you, and as someone said before, if you apply for a merit scholarship then you could be awarded thousands for being a potential excellent student.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
no i dont think they can
Reply 9
No they can't :smile:
Reply 10
ahahah thanks ahahahah

i hope not cuz mine are HIGGHH :P
readingr
Yes. My friend applied to Edinburgh and got rejected because they thought she was Cambridge material.

That's a load of rubbish because Edinburgh (and Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee too) are full of Scots who were in the top 5% of their entire year and got AAAAB or the magic five As.
Reply 12
No you can't. The only case I know you may do is in Medicine. If you have a prediction of AAA or AAB or A*AA or A*AB you can't get into a 6 year medicine (A104) course which requires BBB or BBC or BCC. They would advise you to go onto standard Medicine a100
readingr

what the absolute ****?
Reply 14
Smack
That's a load of rubbish because Edinburgh (and Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee too) are full of Scots who were in the top 5% of their entire year and got AAAAB or the magic five As.

Well it happened to my friend so I think it can >.>
Reply 15
Jellytots122
What subject did she want to do?
Brainbox. I feel stupid...

English language.
readingr
Well it happened to my friend so I think it can >.>

It didn't. Your friend is lying, and you're really gullible.
Reply 17
readingr
English language.

aha nooo social work and mental health nursing :smile:
Reply 18
readingr

They (Edinburgh) actually told her that? Or is this another "Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and the like don't like Oxbridge applicants" as that's complete rubbish.

I doubt Edinburgh did tell her this. If they want a student and have the space they will let the student onto the course. For all they know the student won't get an offer from Cambridge or will chose Edinburgh.

But, most importantly, Edinburgh won't even know where else she had applied to. They could only guess she applied to Oxford OR Cambridge as she sent the application off before the deadline. But this is just a guess. They certainly wouldn't know which of the two she applied to.

I think your friend is telling porkies to try and make herself feel better about an Edinburgh rejection.

69Crazyfists

Also, I know someone who did get rejected this year because there grades were too high. However the course was oversubscribed and the university was looking for loopholes to cut down numbers.

Which loophole is that?

Universities can reject an applicant for any reason they like (except onthe grounds of disability, race or gender). They don't need to look for loopholes. Especially non-existent loopholes.

A university is not obliged to take a student who meets or exceeds a typical offer.

If your grades are higher than the typical offer (and higher than most applicants) they you're more likely to get an offer. Not less likely.

That said there are those with high grades but couldn't write a personal statement for toffee. These are unlikely to get an offer.
Reply 19
readingr
Yes. My friend applied to Edinburgh and got rejected because they thought she was Cambridge material. She did get an offer from Cambridge but put it second choice behind Bristol... idiot
Rubbish. It is a myth that unis reject people *because* they might be applying to Oxbridge. What actually happened was that she didn't meet their requirements (or did but not strongly enough relative to other applicants) - which are not necessarily the same as Cambridge's requirements.

Latest

Trending

Trending