The Student Room Group

How much are iBooks with student discount?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90601/wo/wl5e2YjSVRAj3fVhFrD2f1ZWHNe/6.?p=0

That one. How much would that cost if i get it through my uni network?

Im not sure whether im going to get one or not, im just interested to know what they cost first as i think standard price is overpriced. If i get one it will only be for uni work and taking to lectures, how noisy are they and do they batteries actaully last 6 hours? My current laptop only just lasts over 1 hours and is noisy as hell, not mention it ways a ton. Also, would 512mb be ok? Or does the Mac OS require a GB to run efficiently?
Reply 1
Sorry!

For security and privacy reasons, your session has timed out.
To go back to the Apple Store, please click on the link below.

Which one is it that you are looking at?
Reply 2
lol. Its the standard 12inch iBook.

12 - inch : 1.33GHz

£699.00

Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @1.33GHz
512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
32MB DDR video memory
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Sensor

About the RAM, they charge an extra £100 for 512mb? Is it special RAM or could i just some regular crucial laptop memory for say £30?
I'm using 512mb now and it's okay... I think it depends on what you're using it for!

As long as it matches, you can buy any memory - make sure you get a big name (it will still be lots cheaper than Apple's stuff).
why don't you just log in to the education shop? Then you can get the prices yourself.
Reply 5
Because i havent used the computers at uni yet and i dont know when im going to. I think you need to be on your uni network to get the biggest discount?
Reply 6
http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk/

Thats the link i want someone to go to but you have to be on a uni network to get in.

£656.83 is the cheapest i can get from Apple using my home computer.
Reply 7
Cortez
Because i havent used the computers at uni yet and i dont know when im going to. I think you need to be on your uni network to get the biggest discount?

if you go onto www.nusonline.co.uk and log in with your NUS card number you can access the education apple store thru their computer offers link down the right hand side.
Reply 8
MattG
if you go onto www.nusonline.co.uk and log in with your NUS card number you can access the education apple store thru their computer offers link down the right hand side.

I beleive you get a bigger discount if you access the link i gave above from a uni network. However, going through NUS does give me a better price - £615.70.
Could someone on a uni network please goto the link and tell me if it is any cheaper?

Another question. Its 1.33 GHz, is that equivilant to a 1.33 Pentium? Or is it like an AMD where its more like a Pentium 3GHz for example?
Reply 9
Its a PPC chip, so it wouldnt be equivalent to either, hehe.
They operate completely differently, I would imagine the PPC would be faster than a 1.33Ghz pentium or a 1.33Ghz athlon, but dont rely on that.
Reply 10
i would upgrade the ram, but don't buy the ram from apple (rip off), get it off crucial, mine was about £45 i think for an extra 512mb for my powerbook, it really makes a difference
Reply 11
1.3ghz is much, much, much faster than a pentium of equal clockspeed. cant tell u what though. It is the old G4 i guess.
Reply 12
It turns out that going through the NUS site does give you the same price as being on a uni network.
Reply 13
lol i just sent you a PM before i read your post asking about it. I asked a few more questions though so answer them through PM :wink:
PM replied :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending