The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nazi Vienna95
Is it morally right to favour one race over another because it is the minority? Even though it is meant with good intentions, to me this is racism in itself. I thought we lived in a meritocratic society where ethnicity is irrelevant. Surely it isn't fair for minority races to be faboured over the majority when it comes to employment etc? Positive discrimination is institutionalised racism!

what inspired your screen name? Just politely curious.
Reply 2
why do you have NAZI in your name
Reply 3
SirWhale

Why do you have whale in yours?
Reply 4
No, "you're black, therefore you're more deserving of a place" is stupid, they might be black and still from a privelidged background. Such an assumption is silly.

"You're from an underprivelidged background and have struggled to get where you are, you're more deserving of a place." I agree with.

Positive discrimination is good but not when you make blanket assumptions that certain races are *always* disadvantaged. However, if you don't do that then it might not be positive discrimination anymore I suppose.
Reply 5
SirWhale

If you posted more often here, you might understand.

This is an offensive, cruel attempt at humiliating an active member of this forum.
Reply 6
coz i hate NAZI's
Reply 7
boygenious
why don't you have nazi in your screen name?

Are you a boy genious?

So many questions, so few answers....
Reply 8
Bigcnee

This is an offensive, cruel attempt at humiliating an active member of this forum.

calm yourself
Reply 9
Bigcnee

The fact that the member it is attempting to humiliate is signed on to the board at the same time also shows the validity of it. Fairly lame attempt really.
Reply 10
See Vienna95. Her poltical alignment persuaded me to choose this screen name. I have taken over one of her alter egos.
Reply 11
boygenious
calm yourself

Have a can of "shut up".... Go on, it's on me.
Reply 12
boygenious
real clever wordplay there mate, no seriously

Why thank you, boy.
Reply 13
Bigcnee
Why thank you, boy.

don't mention it
Reply 14
Genious is spellt wrongly.
Positive discrimination is a terrible thing, discrimination of any form is wrong and giving people any form of minority the 'right' to express their views while this cannot be reversed shows how relations have developed in the world. On a similar point, does anybody else agree with the 'freedom of speech' views on question time last night? I think its the only way to go to have a balanced society.
Reply 16
fishpaste
No, "you're black, therefore you're more deserving of a place" is stupid, they might be black and still from a privelidged background. Such an assumption is silly.

"You're from an underprivelidged background and have struggled to get where you are, you're more deserving of a place." I agree with.

Positive discrimination is good but not when you make blanket assumptions that certain races are *always* disadvantaged. However, if you don't do that then it might not be positive discrimination anymore I suppose.

Well said.

The thing is there are plenty of white people that come from disadvantaged backgrounds too. But they don't usually get preferential treatment and can't play 'the race card' if they feel discriminated against. I think positive discrimination for etnic miorities should be scrapped. Instead the government should focus postive disrimination on everyone from disadvantaged backgrounds, regardless of race. And employers should be able to pick the best people for the job and not have to employ 'five ethnic minorities' or 'five disabled people' to fill their quotas.
Reply 17
2 2776
Genious is spellt wrongly.

Would have had better effect if he'd spelt it with a J as well....
Reply 18
meepmeep
Would have had better effect if he'd spelt it with a J as well....

for your information it was a typo. i know there's no o in genius
Reply 19
boygenious
for your information it was a typo. i know there's no o in genius

You're forgiven then. :wink: Having said that, I don't have that great spelling myself, so I can't talk.

Latest

Trending

Trending