The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lella
Thanks guys :smile:

I feel a lot better about it now, I'm just gonna hope for the best!

I made the mistake of reading it through again and noticed ANOTHER typo. Again it was only a small one but I'm just mad that I didn't noticed them when I was supposedly proofreading!! duh. But I'm not gonna worry about it...just hope I get an interview and a chance to redeem myself lol.

Hang on, why is everyone saying 'oh it doesn't matter'? It does, its one of the most important documents you will write in your working life. You made a mistake in it, it suggests you didn't re-read it. If someone else was level pegging with you on all fronts and then they compared personal statements you would probably lose out.

I say cancel it and submit again, its lazy not to.
Reply 21
Original post by simstar88
Hang on, why is everyone saying 'oh it doesn't matter'? It does, its one of the most important documents you will write in your working life. You made a mistake in it, it suggests you didn't re-read it. If someone else was level pegging with you on all fronts and then they compared personal statements you would probably lose out.

I say cancel it and submit again, its lazy not to.

Ok well as for your assumption that I didn't re-read it, I'd like to point out that I checked it, got a friend who is also applying for a PGCE to look at it and travelled up to Manchester from Birmingham specifically so I could get a careers advisor from my old university to go through it. Although when I eventually did spot my mistake (after already sending it off to my principal referee), I majorly panicked; in hindsight I can see it was a very minor mistake (hence none of us noticing it) and hopefully does not take much away from my personal statement as a whole. It was a missing word, not a spelling, punctuation or grammar mistake and the meaning of the sentence is still perfectly clear.

Thanks for your advice though.
Reply 22
don't worry about it,
I'm sure they're not gona notice, you'll get away with it :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Lella

Ok well as for your assumption that I didn't re-read it, I'd like to point out that I checked it, got a friend who is also applying for a PGCE to look at it and travelled up to Manchester from Birmingham specifically so I could get a careers advisor from my old university to go through it. Although when I eventually did spot my mistake (after already sending it off to my principal referee), I majorly panicked; in hindsight I can see it was a very minor mistake (hence none of us noticing it) and hopefully does not take much away from my personal statement as a whole. It was a missing word, not a spelling, punctuation or grammar mistake and the meaning of the sentence is still perfectly clear.

Thanks for your advice though.

I didn't assume anything. I was saying thats what they will think at the uni's. Its like a CV, if there is a mistake on it the HR department will chuck it in the bin immediately.

It also a grammar mistake, as it doesn't make sense without the word. Maybe you should leave it in there, it probably shows the true you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
I didn't assume anything. I was saying thats what they will think at the uni's. Its like a CV, if there is a mistake on it the HR department will chuck it in the bin immediately.

It also a grammar mistake, as it doesn't make sense without the word. Maybe you should leave it in there, it probably shows the true you.

The meaning of the sentence is clear. I would hope that admissions tutors would not reject my application on the basis of me missing 'at' out in a sentence as based on the rest of my personal statement, it is obvious that it is a typo and nothing to do with my English ability.

With regards to your last (and rather nasty) remark; if the true me is someone who makes mistakes sometimes then yeah you're right. I'm not ashamed of it, I'm only human!

Like I said thanks for your advice.
Reply 25
Original post by Lella
The meaning of the sentence is clear. I would hope that admissions tutors would not reject my application on the basis of me missing 'at' out in a sentence as based on the rest of my personal statement, it is obvious that it is a typo and nothing to do with my English ability.

With regards to your last (and rather nasty) remark; if the true me is someone who makes mistakes sometimes then yeah you're right. I'm not ashamed of it, I'm only human!

Like I said thanks for your advice.

Ok yes that remark wasn't nice, sorry about that. I was just annoyed that i tried to stress the importance of making a good impression to uni's, and you seem to have dismissed this. I get the feeling you created this thread to make you feel better and will dismiss anyone who says that you should withdraw and correct the mistake. I believe the BIGGEST mistake you're doing is the decision you're making right now. You have noticed it as an error yet you appear not that bothered about correcting, just about feeling better.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Ok yes that remark wasn't nice, sorry about that. I was just annoyed that i tried to stress the importance of making a good impression to uni's, and you seem to have dismissed this. I get the feeling you created this thread to make you feel better and will dismiss anyone who says that you should withdraw and correct the mistake. I believe the BIGGEST mistake you're doing is the decision you're making right now. You have noticed it as an error yet you appear not that bothered about correcting, just about feeling better.

I didn't create this thread to make me feel better, I was simply asking for advice. I will admit that it was reassuring that most people told me not to stress too much about it BUT that was not my sole intention of creating the thread. I have never 'dismissed' your advice and I'm sorry if you got that impression it's just that right now what you're suggesting is a bit of a moot point. My application is currently being considered by my first choice so it's a bit late to cancel it. Right now I've decided to put my efforts into interview preparation and hoping that the admissions tutor who reads it is slightly more forgiving and doesn't let a tiny syntax error completely eclipse the rest of my application...
Reply 27
don't worry i proof read mine many times and got others to read it too. Then i stupidly re-read it after i had sent it and noticed an 'and' in a sentence where it didn't make sense. I decided to leave it- i doubt unis are that petty.
Reply 28
I was just annoyed that i tried to stress the importance of making a good impression to uni's

Your own grammar isn't perfect though :p: sorry, I have an irrational hatred for extra apostrophes.

anyway, my mind filled in the extra word and it took a re-read to notice a mistake... I wouldn't worry too much, maybe if they noticed it would count a tiny bit against you but the chances of them noticing (they do read a lot of personal statements) are quite slim. Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by linzcc48
don't worry i proof read mine many times and got others to read it too. Then i stupidly re-read it after i had sent it and noticed an 'and' in a sentence where it didn't make sense. I decided to leave it- i doubt unis are that petty.

Lol why oh why did we read them after we had sent them? Ignorance would definitely have been bliss in this case! Ah well these things happen, I'm sure we'll be fine :smile:

Where have you applied?
Reply 30
Original post by conway!
Your own grammar isn't perfect though :p: sorry, I have an irrational hatred for extra apostrophes.

anyway, my mind filled in the extra word and it took a re-read to notice a mistake... I wouldn't worry too much, maybe if they noticed it would count a tiny bit against you but the chances of them noticing (they do read a lot of personal statements) are quite slim. Good luck!

Reply 31
Original post by Lella
Lol why oh why did we read them after we had sent them? Ignorance would definitely have been bliss in this case! Ah well these things happen, I'm sure we'll be fine :smile:

Where have you applied?

yeah it's human nature to get paranoid about silly little things- we need to just forget about it.
I have applied for History and Philosophy at York, Reading, Leeds, Birmingham and Southampton. you?
Reply 32
yeah it's human nature to get paranoid about silly little things- we need to just forget about it.
I have applied for History and Philosophy at York, Reading, Leeds, Birmingham and Southampton. you?

I've applied for English at Birmingham, Warwick, Wolverhampton and Manchester. I'm just getting so impatient now, I keep checking my emails and track and there's been absolutely nothing so far!
Reply 33
Original post by Lella
I've applied for English at Birmingham, Warwick, Wolverhampton and Manchester. I'm just getting so impatient now, I keep checking my emails and track and there's been absolutely nothing so far!

Birmingham and Wolverhampton- i'm guessing you want to stay close to home. I was born in Wolverhampton but live in Ipswich and am bored of it! I'm really impatient i check every day also although it's pointless as only one of my unis interview and they are unlikely to give out offer this early! You might get one for manchester soon as they've given out lots of interviews/offers for various subjects. I have had confirmation from all but leeds... I'm getting frustrated but i don't know why.
Reply 34
Birmingham and Wolverhampton- i'm guessing you want to stay close to home. I was born in Wolverhampton but live in Ipswich and am bored of it! I'm really impatient i check every day also although it's pointless as only one of my unis interview and they are unlikely to give out offer this early! You might get one for manchester soon as they've given out lots of interviews/offers for various subjects. I have had confirmation from all but leeds... I'm getting frustrated but i don't know why.

Ooh are you talking about an undergrad degree..? Because all unis interview for PGCE courses..??

I did my English degree at Manchester but have moved home and have applied for an English PGCE at unis closer to home.
Reply 35
yeah i was, sorry i assumed you were too- silly mistake.
Reply 36
yeah i was, sorry i assumed you were too- silly mistake.

No worries, good luck with your application anyway :smile:
Reply 37
I left out an insignificant word like that too in my PS last year. I just emailed my PS to each of the unis I had applied to, with the change highlighted and explaining the error. I'm not sure if it made a difference or if they even looked at it because none of them ever replied to me :/
I'm sure they'll realize that it was a simple mistake and they won't think you have a grammar problem or anything, don't worry about it!
Reply 38
Original post by Anti
Depending on the context, you might be able to get away with that one, if they notice it... it might just come across as a strange sentence pattern that doesn't detract from the meaning. Hopefully they won't even notice if though!

(Welcome to TSR, by the way! :biggrin:)

Thanks :smile: I'm still getting used to this, it's a bit confusing!

This is the sentece: I am also capable of speaking and writing in Catalan, for as it is an official language in Mallorca alongside Spanish.
I hope they don't notice it!
Reply 39
An admissions tutor goes through quite a lot of personal statements a day, they don't have the time to look through looking for tiny mistakes some people may have made, and more to the fact even if they see a mistake, all they'll think is, its a simple enough mistake to make and will focus on your content anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending