The Student Room Group

Chance of Offers (LAW): LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol, Queen Marys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Thanks :smile: You too. I guess I'm not the only one who was defeated by UCL lol. It was my first choice as well :frown::frown:

ahaha, SAME! although LSE is harder to get into I really liked UCL, was my dream uni. Sigh. Best of luck in life anyhu.
Original post by DivineIntervention
ahaha, SAME! although LSE is harder to get into I really liked UCL, was my dream uni. Sigh. Best of luck in life anyhu.

We are soul mates OMG! Me too ahaha. If I was lucky enough to be blessed with a UCL and LSE offer I would've taken UCL any day. I was in love with it but they rejected my ass :frown:

I guess it's QM for me, as LSE is probably a nono.
We are soul mates OMG! Me too ahaha. If I was lucky enough to be blessed with a UCL and LSE offer I would've taken UCL any day. I was in love with it but they rejected my ass :frown:

I guess it's QM for me, as LSE is probably a nono.

Jah, would've done exactly the same. Was crushed when I was rejected (stupid LNAT :mad:)

LSE most likely kill me off too so probably see you at QM then :biggrin:
Reply 43
Fu

Thanks "mann" (lol) I see you around the Law Applicants thread a lot and I would've really appreiciated that advice when applying (no one else gave it to me)

Purely because I didn't know about the LNAT till I started looking at university admissions and really didn't know how much it meant.

My two mistakes were not really researching the universities properly and then taking the LNAT extremely casually (I did one practice exam from there website the night before when I should've revised like it was a real exam)

Either way UCL rejected me on the basis of LNAT so I'm really worried for KCL and Bristol. LSE I doubted from the moment I put it on my application, If I weren't so lazy I might've got for Oxford.

Thanks anyway :smile:

The problem with advice on this site is it's mostly based on conjecture, even what I consider to be fairly accurate (my own.) So for every person who says "You have no chance at LSE!" There's another who knows someone whose girlfriend got in with 2A*s 7Bs and a U. With regard to UCL, they're known to be the strictest with LNAT scores, so do not think you're automatically rejected from the rest (UCL rejected people who got 19 last year, good enough for Bristol and KCL usually.)

So in short, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and just have faith that you've done well enough for KCL/Bristol (I'm sure you have :wink: ) And in the event you haven't, QMUL is a brilliant uni for Law by anyone's standards :p:

And don't doubt your actions, the second you start second guessing things when they're out of your control, you go crazy. Push comes to shove, if you decide to shoot again next year, you have experience.
Firstly, new to this...old account...first thread.

If any of you have spare time I would appreciate some input. May seem a bit odd me asking you to assess my situation as it were but meh I need to gain some perspective.

GCSE: 2 A*, 6 A, 1 B
AS: Maths A, Philo A, ClassCiv A, EngLit B
A2 predictions: Philo A*, ClassCiv A*, EngLit A
LNAT taken, results pending
Personal Statement: Medium-Strong (Obviously opinionated)

Uni's applied to for LLB (M100) [a law degree for those who don't know]:

LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol
Queen Marys

Give me my chances straight, Offers etc. BUT PLEASE BACK UP YOUR CLAIMS! e.g. "My friend got XYZ and applied to ABC and got offers..."

*Remember this is for a Law degree, all general input would still be appreciated.

Lastly, thanks for reading and posting.:smile:

I'm a law (with hispanic law) candidate too, with an offer from UCL and Queen Mary off your list.

In all honest, your GCSEs could be pushing it a little with LSE. They are well-known GCSE Nazis. UCL are harsh on the LNAT. I guess you'll have a better idea of your chances when you get your results next Monday.

Interesting that you haven't got much of an insurance?
Original post by Mann18
The problem with advice on this site is it's mostly based on conjecture, even what I consider to be fairly accurate (my own.) So for every person who says "You have no chance at LSE!" There's another who knows someone whose girlfriend got in with 2A*s 7Bs and a U. With regard to UCL, they're known to be the strictest with LNAT scores, so do not think you're automatically rejected from the rest (UCL rejected people who got 19 last year, good enough for Bristol and KCL usually.)

So in short, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and just have faith that you've done well enough for KCL/Bristol (I'm sure you have :wink: ) And in the event you haven't, QMUL is a brilliant uni for Law by anyone's standards :p:

And don't doubt your actions, the second you start second guessing things when they're out of your control, you go crazy. Push comes to shove, if you decide to shoot again next year, you have experience.

Yeah, I know. I really wonder if what comes to be "common knowledge" on TSR was acctually once a rumour that sounded convincing.

Either way I have QM which I like and would be happy to go there.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it for what its worth.

:smile:

Original post by LornaSandison1
I'm a law (with hispanic law) candidate too, with an offer from UCL and Queen Mary off your list.

In all honest, your GCSEs could be pushing it a little with LSE. They are well-known GCSE Nazis. UCL are harsh on the LNAT. I guess you'll have a better idea of your chances when you get your results next Monday.

Interesting that you haven't got much of an insurance?

Yeah, I heard about the LSE thing just after I applied (sigh) and now know about UCL's LNAT standards.

Results coming out the day after my birthday so could be interesting :curious:

The lack of insurance was a failure on my part. I fear the B in English Lit, I got 3 As and B in AS but thought I'd be ballsy and drop Maths (an A) and continue English (the B). Could be catastrophic but meh, I'm a gambling man :wink:
Reply 46
Yeah, I know. I really wonder if what comes to be "common knowledge" on TSR was acctually once a rumour that sounded convincing.

Either way I have QM which I like and would be happy to go there.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it for what its worth.

:smile:

Honestly, not a problem :p:

Good to know you'd be happy with QMUL, and hey, you're not out of the running for LSE, Bristol or KCL yet either. (I'd say, if your PS is strong, you'll get into Bristol.)

How would you rank them in terms of personal preference?
Original post by Mann18
Honestly, not a problem :p:

Good to know you'd be happy with QMUL, and hey, you're not out of the running for LSE, Bristol or KCL yet either. (I'd say, if your PS is strong, you'll get into Bristol.)

How would you rank them in terms of personal preference?

personal preference (as in what I consider the best uni for me) would be:

UCL
LSE
Kings
Bristol
QMUL

UCL beats LSE coz I really like UCL as a university, Kings beats Bristol coz its in London, Bristol beats QMUL purely because I know others have misconceptions and reputation means a lot to employers (not just assumption I have reasonable evidence to support this - though abviously not a sure thing :P)
Jah, would've done exactly the same. Was crushed when I was rejected (stupid LNAT :mad:)

LSE most likely kill me off too so probably see you at QM then :biggrin:

Glad I'm not the only one :smile:

QM it is!
Yeah, I heard about the LSE thing just after I applied (sigh) and now know about UCL's LNAT standards.

Results coming out the day after my birthday so could be interesting :curious:

The lack of insurance was a failure on my part. I fear the B in English Lit, I got 3 As and B in AS but thought I'd be ballsy and drop Maths (an A) and continue English (the B). Could be catastrophic but meh, I'm a gambling man :wink:

Ha, that's interesting. It's my Mum's and 2 friends' birthday on the 30th as well. There's a little general knowledge of you.

I sincerely hope you're doing a retake in English Lit, otherwise you really are gambling a lot.
Reply 50
I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an offer from Queen Mary. I got an offer from them and I have much, much worse GCSEs than you. (Having said that, I applied 5 years ago, they may have got stricter since then).

It's hard to say with the others. LSE is unlikely. If you did well in the LNAT then I'd predict that you'd get an offer from Bristol. It could really go either way with UCL and KCL.
Glad I'm not the only one :smile:

QM it is!

:biggrin:

Ha, that's interesting. It's my Mum's and 2 friends' birthday on the 30th as well. There's a little general knowledge of you.

I sincerely hope you're doing a retake in English Lit, otherwise you really are gambling a lot.

30th is a good date to be born on :tongue:

I've already done the English Lit retake last week (went well I think) It was really the coursework that let me down (my mark was moderated from 93% to 74%). My exam mark was 78% so hopefully 8+ marks should bring it up to an A.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
LSE is a risky choice with those GCSE's; they're renowned GCSE nazis. I didn't bother applying there because I wasn't confident that I'd get in. (grades in singature)

Not because 'I hate the place and would never go there' then? :holmes:
Original post by *Ivy*
I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an offer from Queen Mary. I got an offer from them and I have much, much worse GCSEs than you. (Having said that, I applied 5 years ago, they may have got stricter since then).

It's hard to say with the others. LSE is unlikely. If you did well in the LNAT then I'd predict that you'd get an offer from Bristol. It could really go either way with UCL and KCL.

Got an offer from Queen Mary and a rejection from UCL due to LNAT :smile: Really hoping for KCL and Bristol atm but worried about low LNAT score.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not because 'I hate the place and would never go there' then? :holmes:

:tehee:

Grades were a secondary factor in my decision not to apply! I was tempted to apply to appease my parents and apply to a uni in London but decided it'd be a waste as I'd probably get rejected and I'd never go there if I were to somehow get an offer.
:biggrin:

30th is a good date to be born on :tongue:

I've already done the English Lit retake last week (went well I think) It was really the coursework that let me down (my mark was moderated from 93% to 74%). My exam mark was 78% so hopefully 8+ marks should bring it up to an A.

Ah that makes me feel slightly better!
Ah that makes me feel slightly better!

Glad to know you care :biggrin:
Glad to know you care :biggrin:

Of course. We're all in this together!
Reply 58
Got an offer from Queen Mary and a rejection from UCL due to LNAT :smile: Really hoping for KCL and Bristol atm but worried about low LNAT score.

Good luck, I hope you get offers from them. Even if you don't, don't be disheartened, Queen Mary is a great uni. I didn't go there in the end but I really liked it when I went to the open day.
Reply 59
I KNOW! exactly this has happened. I got a Queen Mary offer, but UCL rejected me due to LNAT and now I regrett applying to so many LNAT unis. sigh, thanks for the post though.

Don't stress, unis do look at the LNAT differently, like, some focus more on the essay, others emphasise the questions- this could work in your favour! But yeah, I did two LNAT unis, so glad I didn't go for anymore! Good luck with everything though x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending