The Student Room Group

im gunna go for it!!

Right,after trawling through the internet for hours and hours i have decided at the age of very nearly 35 i am going to def do the access course and then four year (part time) degree in occupational health. Im a single mum going no-where fast and only i can sort it out! So (as this is all new) this is what i need to know...will the NHS fund my degree? would i be entitled to any help towards travel/anything? (whilst i appreciate i cant get a travel card to help with cost of commuting bcus i will be part time,on 'placement weeks' i will be commuting a lot more,so would i get any help) im currently getting housing ben,income support and child tax credit and really need to weigh it all up as the last thing i want is to not be able to pay my rent (dont think my sons would be too chuffed either) Can anyone advise me on any of this or direct me to any help??
Thanks for taking the time to read this :smile:
Reply 1
occupational THERAPY even!!!!! (oh dear)
Occupational therapy...is that the one where you go round to peoples houses and problem solve. So if they've had a stroke, or are wheelchair bound etc, you say what needs to be done for them to be able to do things themselves?

If so then i'm pretty sure they do finance your course. I know someone, who is the same age as you who is doing the course part time (2-3 days a week, i can't remember). I can't give you any links or anything, but i'll ask her more about it next time i see her :smile:

Good luck, and it's nice you decided to apply as a mature. I'm 30 and trying to get into uni at the moment.
Reply 3
This might help http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=284
I know I'm not a mature student but I was looking before when my aunt wanted to do midwifery :smile:
Reply 4
thank-you :smile: yes thats an occupational therapists role,to enable ppl to do things for themselves,ppl with mental health,physical probs etc,really appreciate the advice guys,feels like a huge leap into the unknown!! i cant be the first single mum who has taken this route tho at this age,any more advice/tips would be gratefully recieved..oh and thanks for the link,that was really helpful :smile: this is all very scary!!!
Reply 5
Good luck with your degree - it's all very daunting and scary at first but iI found it to be such a breath of fresh air when I finally found out what I wanted to do, after loads and loads of research. As you say, you're the only person who can make it happen!

I'm training to be a dietitian so with OT being an NHS funded course funding should be similar. The NHS pay for your degree, you pay NOTHING!! :redface:) You also get a means tested bursary (maximum is roughly about £2800 per year?), but you get more on top of that for having a dependant. The NHS also pay up to 85% of childcare costs (means tested) if you need help for paying nursery fees. My son is in nursery and there is no way I could afford to do this degree without the help of the NHS, even though I have a partner, but he only earns a lowly postman's wage. Admittedly we are really struggling at the moment. I'm in my third year of a four year degree (full time) and it is very difficult.

Your tax credits aren't affected by your bursary which is good news. You can't really apply for additional travel costs because you will already have the bursary, but when you are on placement you can apply for travel expenses then. You can also apply for a reduced rate student loan.

Have a look here for more details: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx

Oh, but that's the good news - the bad news is the access course. It's a brilliant course and I loved doing mine, but you get hardly any help financially for that as it's only classes as Further Education not Higher Education. That was a verrrrry hard year money wise for me.

Good luck with it all x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
That was really really helpful thank-you so much! :smile: Thats great that I wont have to pay for the course...i dont understand the whole bursary thing tho? (blonde) i currently get my benefits and manage ok,so would my benefits be affected and the bursary is there to make it a bit easier? Im sure i dont get that ON TOP of everything i get now? Oh actually,i think ive read somewhere that the bursary you get would then affect the HOUSING benefit? Will have no nursery fees as both will be at school. Yes i was wondering about the access course,how that will effect things financially..when you say it was a bad year for you financially,did you quit working to do it?
I feel for you with your husband being a postie,my ex husband is one and i know its not well paid at all,and they are going through big changes at the moment arent they. You are nearly there though!! I hope i have what it takes to stick with it and see it through like you.

And you are so very right,ive hated not knowing what i wanted to do with my life...and suddenly to have this goal,i feel like i have a purpose again and i feel very motivated :smile:

xx
Reply 7
Oh hold on a moment...another blonde question...will i be doing placements in school holidays? perhaps i will need help with childcare costs after all..so much to think about!! x
Reply 8
Yes, I gave up my job to study the access course full time - I had just finished maternity leave and didn't see any point in going back, and I thought 'sod it -we'll cope'. But it was very tough. Some access courses can be studied in the evenings or over two years, but I was 33 and didn't want to leave it any longer to get to uni.

Not sure about your placements, but yes you may well need to sort out childcare for that. Ours run in term-time, and in a block of 4 weeks then 2x12 weeks, but yours may be different - yours may be more like nursing where they do placements continually throughout the year. You'd have to check with the uni about that.

It is so nice when you finally feel motivated and know what you actually want to do with your life. It's annoying for me that it took so long to get there though. And admittedly I'm beginning to flag a bit, lost my enthusiasm slightly, but alot of us feel like that in this third year - just cos it's a bit overwhelming with so much to do and learn!!
Reply 9
Also, regarding placement: this may not be the same everywhere, but on my course anyone with children (or any other type of dependant) is a priority student when it comes to choosing placement. So I can pick the closest hospitals to me and know I'll get either my first or second choice. But again, might not be the same everywhere. Don't see why it wouldn't be though.
Reply 10
Hey, good choice on the course!!

I'm currently a first year OT student, and I know for us our placements are in semester time. But for part time students they are different, and there isn't a placement in year 1.

Also we have no say in where we are placed, however if you have children under 11 they make sure it is commutable.

I recieve full (maximum) funding, and although it's different for you as you have dependents, if you wanted more clarrification, PM me and I'll try and help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending