Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ensocopier
What exam board are you for biology?

Edexcel, yourself?
Reply 21
Lucy
Edexcel, yourself?

OCR, I was just wondering if you were cram learning the Jan module as well.
Reply 22
Ensocopier
OCR, I was just wondering if you were cram learning the Jan module as well.

Nah, (luckily) I have all my bio modules in the summer :smile: . Right now I'm trying to cram learn the jan module for chemistry (exam on Friday - when's your bio exam?) - infact I better get going now :tongue: ...
Reply 23
Lucy
Nah, (luckily) I have all my bio modules in the summer :smile: . Right now I'm trying to cram learn the jan module for chemistry (exam on Friday - when's your bio exam?) - infact I better get going now :tongue: ...

lol, good luck. I'm on thursday.
I think if the gap year goes as planned it will be wonderful and valuable experience. Ensocopier has a point though, you must consider the possibility that you may not be accepted even though you have talked with academics and have had time to think. Don't forget the chance element. You need to make sure that you will value the gap year even if you end up at a different uni and not resent the effort, esp. if you wern't intending to take one originally.

IMO you would probably (understandably) feel hard done by if you were unsuccessful at Cam at the end of it but if you could deal with that then your gap plans would very much increase your Cam chances and add to a degree anywhere.
Reply 25
Adhsur
I work really hard for my A levels...get 5 A's for A2...And reapply to Cambridge.

Then I spend a year doing things such as -

... discovering my roots and "soul searching" - going and meeting my extended family (probably the only chance I'll get in quite a few years), experience the life and culture difference in India and Pakistan...Maybe work in an indian movie while I'm there (lol).

...Go meet some top philosophers in America with my dad (he's going to do that anyway since he knows a lot of them, so I might as wlel join him).

...become more widely read, get more independent

...perhaps get a job somewhere or do work experience in a legal firm.

And if I still don't get in, I'll be pleased for a lovely break from academics and go and do well at another good uni. Hmmmm, good plan or not?

Go for it! Just don't get upset if they reject you again - I take it you won't be applying for Clare again?

It sounds like a good gap year to me, I'd have just squandered a gap year!

Alaric.
While it's true that someone is unlikely to be more intelligent second time around, there can be little doubt that the Oxbridge admissions process makes some mistakes. For example I know someone who got a First who was rejected when he first applied, obviously rejecting him was a mistake.
Reply 27
ThornsnRoses
not wanting to sound obtuse but there isnt really a difference between indian and pakistani culture...well not a noticable one in my point of view, since they were once one country...

other than that...i think that your proposals are a great idea! I would love to do that...its good to go trekking while youre young and free! yay...

From somebody who has been to both countries, I would say there is a good deal of difference. Even within India, there's IMMENSE diversity depending on what region you're in.
Reply 28
I think your plans for the gap year sound excellent, and as long as you are completely convinced you want to do it then go for it.

I reapplied but as I changed subjects I had to, I was always intending on taking a gap year anyway and had applied for deferred entry first time around. I wouldn't have taken a gap year just to reapply.

I certainly was one of those who realised second time around that it wasn't everything to go to Oxbridge (after falling in love with Cam the year before).

Make sure the decision is right for you and that you wont regret it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Reply 29
gap years are worthwhile for whatever reason you choose to do them, and yours sounds really interesting. also i reckon half the people i know who got into oxbridge got in after reapplying - plus you'll have the experience of the first interview process to help you prepare for the next. perhaps this time match up your personal preferences college wise with the most advatageous interview process- i.e. even if a college is more competetive, they may (for example) have a couple of hours in a seminar with other students, as opposed to an isolated interview; perhaps this would give you the chance to settle in, get going and show them your worth!!
Reply 30
Ensocopier
lol, good luck. I'm on thursday.

Thanks :smile: Good luck for tomorrow! Oh well, if it all goes horribly wrong (hopefully not *fingers crossed*) at least we can retake in the summer :tongue: !

Latest

Trending

Trending