The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by nikki_louise

Plus the bloody qts standards are already annoying me and I wish I could book the bloody skill tests already!!

Original post by affinity89
We've not been given that number yet, so I can't book mine either. A blessing in one way, as I think it is going to be a pain to do [you can't do them here, so it'll be a case of getting the train somewhere else, when the train station is at least 30 minutes away from my flat lol], but then again, I'd like to get them out of the way. :smile:

I got impatient waiting for my uni to give me my TRN number, so I rang the GTC earlier this week and they gave it to me no problem. I now have my tests booked. :smile:
I passed all my tests first time, end of september, I had to drive an hour to get them done but at least I passed them :biggrin:

I'm getting a bit exhausted at the moment, watching lessons is knackering, god knows how I'll manage when I start teaching after half term.
Original post by affinity89

We've discussed planning though. That is going to be the killer. My tutor said a few hours a week for the week long plans plus an average of 1 hour per hour for individual lesson plans. Plus the reflective assignments and essays that go with it. Joy!

If you spend this amount of time on planning you will die. Bare in mind that by the summer you may be teaching 20 hours per week. If you are spending 20 hours planning individual lessons, as well as a few hours on weekly plans, you will not cope. Your tutor is exaggerating how much work you have to do (mine loved to do this).

Your first few plans will take ages - fair enough. However by about February you should be able to a weekly plan in an hour or so, then only spend a few minutes on individual plans (if you bother to use them...by February I just worked off my weekly plans). Preparing resources takes a bit more time on top of this, as do evaluations etc.

Don't work too hard everyone!
Reply 383
Original post by Mr Student
I feel the same. However, what kills me the most is that I am starting to question the relevance of my subjects (Economics, Business, and ICT to KS3). If you asked me to honestly say whether I thought that what I teach is equipping kids for the real world of work, I'd have to say no. My main subjects (Business and Economics, and there's more Business than Economics going on in the teaching world these days) generally require students to remember facts and write essays. My school is a production line where all the senior leaders care about are grades, grades, grades and maintaining Outstanding status. We have a couple of students who will leave with 16 GCSEs across 4 BTEC subjects: Travel, Business, PE (with no physical element) and Childcare Studies. How is it possible that they don't do English and Maths? Surely they'd be better off with 8 GCSEs incl. Eng, Maths and Science?

I know education is a political football that politicians like to kick around but I personally think that there's a lot of room for improvement. Not to make teachers' lives hell, but to allow the students to get ahead in life. Then again, if you take a back to basics approach you may create another elitist system which isolates students who don't find it engaging. This profession goes over my head. I just don't know how we can best provide young people with an education ...

Totally agree, schools are all about forwarding their own agendas now. Even if they don't put the best interests of the students first.
The problem is they don't give students proper English and Maths skills up to a reasonable level. It's common practice for FE colleges to make students who enrol to do basic KS1 English and Math tests and I can tell you it's not uncommon for students to fail them. These are students who have just finished doing their GCSEs!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
I might start chipping in here- just finished week 5 of my course (SCITT, secondary MFL), and week 3 of being in school. Finding it manageable (and dare I say enjoyable) so far, although I've not long started taking on any teaching. We're in school 3 days a week until half term, and the first week I was observing lessons from all over the school, second week observing in MFL and this week just gone I've done 3 episodes (and observed otherwise- would have done more teaching but one teacher was away on an exchange trip). The first one (bottom set year 9) was a failure as far as I was concerned- I got the activity wrong so it was never going to work. My mentor was lovely and picked out some good bits though so it's not all bad I guess. The next two went better so am hoping for that to continue this week, but I fully expect teaching to have shown me its true colours by after half term!
My first lesson (observed!) went terribly, but after that it went much better :smile: don't be afraid to ask before a lesson - the teacher will know the kids better after all :smile: sometimes you've got to try things tho! Even experienced teachers can have bad days/lessons
Original post by Kidders
Now into my 3rd month of the secondary PGCE course and i can honestly say i have never looked forward to Xmas quite as much as i currently am! This has been the hardest few months i have ever experienced. Such a massive amount of work to be done all the time. Lesson plans still taking me hours and I'm never more than a day ahead of myself! Assignment due in 2 weeks and not even beyond the introduction. Getting home at 5pm every night due to the distance of my placement school and leaving at 7:20am every morning. Weekends written off and relationship with my partner suffering!

Anyone else feel this way too?

Also a little reminder to all those wanting to apply for next year; this is CERTAINLY not an option for you if you're doing it just to put off finding a job! HUGE step up from undergrad degree!! (i think the MA students are a little better prepared)

Rant over. :colondollar:

That really is not that bad.

When I was at secondary school school, I got up at 6:30, was on the bus at 7:10, got to school at 8:50. In the afternoon I finished at 4:00, got home at 5:30, then had a private tutor everyday from 5:45 till 6:45 and I went to her house so as soon as I got home at 5:30 I had to leave straight away to get there. Then afterwards I had at least 3 (sometimes 4 or 5) homeworks, plus work for the tutor. So I ate dinner at 7:15, then started my work till 11. Then afterwards I would go to bed, wake up at 6:30 to start the day again. Then at weekends I had loads of work as well. So :/ and I did this when I was 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 (doing it at 12 years old is a MASSIVE step up from primary school). No wonder I was going grey at 15
Not too bad so far, it's no way near as bad as Finals year at university. Had second week in school last week, including the first couple of lessons to teach and even a bit of assembly in front of the whole school which wasn't too bad.

Glad to be able to have a lie-in next week until 6:45, have been up at 5:45 the past week to get to the placement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FadeToBlackout

Original post by FadeToBlackout
Not too bad so far, it's no way near as bad as Finals year at university. Had second week in school last week, including the first couple of lessons to teach and even a bit of assembly in front of the whole school which wasn't too bad.

Glad to be able to have a lie-in next week until 6:45, have been up at 5:45 the past week to get to the placement.

Did you decide to do primary or secondary in the end?

Twas ages ago when we met you in Cambridge :smile:
Reply 389
If anyone wishes to shoot a few more hours in the day my way, please do get in touch!
Original post by *Interrobang*
My first lesson (observed!) went terribly, but after that it went much better :smile: don't be afraid to ask before a lesson - the teacher will know the kids better after all :smile: sometimes you've got to try things tho! Even experienced teachers can have bad days/lessons

Oh, God, yes!
I'm doing my first bit of teaching tomorrow, just a starter but I'm still nervous!
Reply 392
Original post by dobbs
Haha no, but if you look at the time of my post - basically 5.30am this morning when I got in from my new year celebrations, got a bit excited...I'm from Newcastle but I find it rare to see northerners (proper northerners, not fake ones like Manchester etc) on TSR!

Anywho, I'll shut up now and crawl back into my hangover hole :smile:

Love it when people read through the thread from page 1 and find an incredibly old post to neg rep lol :rolleyes:
Reply 393
Original post by dobbs
Love it when people read through the thread from page 1 and find an incredibly old post to neg rep lol :rolleyes:
I feel bad about bumping it now!

Has anyone else booked QTS skills tests? There're all booked up in Oxford in the few afternoons we have off this term - after Michaelmas (Autumn term) we're in school 5 days a week until June - so Christmas holidays it'll have to be.

Also - has anyone got any experience using Prezi?! I really want to geek up and find an appropriate lesson to use it in...
I've used prezi a few times, it's great but a lot of effort. I got my tests out of the way in September thank god.
Original post by Rainy

Has anyone else booked QTS skills tests? There're all booked up in Oxford in the few afternoons we have off this term - after Michaelmas (Autumn term) we're in school 5 days a week until June - so Christmas holidays it'll have to be.

I passed my skills tests yesterday. I was lucky enough to get a slot during my half term. So glad they're out the way!

Good luck to all those who are yet to take them :smile:
People on my course are starting to show the strain. We all look knackered. Some people are getting snappy and are losing it over tiny things, others are really disengaged. :/

It is quite scary that we've got 8 weeks before our break for Christmas, including 3 weeks on placement before then.

I already feel like I could sleep for a month! :/
Reply 397
Original post by Rainy
I feel bad about bumping it now!

Also - has anyone got any experience using Prezi?! I really want to geek up and find an appropriate lesson to use it in...

Ha don't worry about it, I've been around TSR for so long that a few neg reps aren't going to worry me too much :wink:

And yes, I've used Prezi a few times - though it can be annoying at first it's not so bad once you get used to it, but it is annoying if you want to use it with an interactive whiteboard for you to make notes on (although whiteboards will allow you to do this, it's not as good as using Smart Notebook software, for example).

However I must point out that the effort put in is certainly worth it! I used it with my Year 9s and they LOVED it, were really engaged just because things were swooping in and out and around etc. Though saying all this, everyone loved Powerpoint when it first came out. Give it a while and it'll probably just become as tedious as a black-font powerpoint :smile:
Got my tests on Friday. Hope I pass the maths :s-smilie: The level is the same as the online practice ones isn't it? I can just about pass those.

On my course everyone's so tired and we've had it pretty easy so far- been in school 3 days a week for the past 4 weeks but the next 5 of them are block placement, so we're in school 5 days a week teaching 40% of a timetable. This half term is apparently the worst for exhaustion/stress/wanting to leave so that will be interesting!

I'm currently 3/4 of the way through my first assignment, hoping to at least get the rest of it written out of the way today so I can spend the next couple of days planning for next week before I go back to it for final adjustments etc. Holiday? What holiday? :frown:
Reply 399
Original post by noodles!
Got my tests on Friday. Hope I pass the maths :s-smilie: The level is the same as the online practice ones isn't it? I can just about pass those.

On my course everyone's so tired and we've had it pretty easy so far- been in school 3 days a week for the past 4 weeks but the next 5 of them are block placement, so we're in school 5 days a week teaching 40% of a timetable. This half term is apparently the worst for exhaustion/stress/wanting to leave so that will be interesting!

I'm currently 3/4 of the way through my first assignment, hoping to at least get the rest of it written out of the way today so I can spend the next couple of days planning for next week before I go back to it for final adjustments etc. Holiday? What holiday? :frown:

I found the practice ones harder! I failed the maths and ICT ones in practice then passed all 3 tests first time when I went to do them! Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending