The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neilcn
All starts for me tomorrow........INSET day followed by first classes on Thursday. (Non salaried schools direct). But, hey....how hard can it be???. :colondollar:
Golly, that's early. Is it Scotland?
Reply 7261
Nope..... East Midlands. We traditionally have early summer holidays (and early returns!) Used to be to allow for factory closures. I'm old enough to remember the Leicester July fortnight when everything there (including the schools) always closed down for the first two weeks in July.
Original post by neilcn
Nope..... East Midlands. We traditionally have early summer holidays (and early returns!) Used to be to allow for factory closures. I'm old enough to remember the Leicester July fortnight when everything there (including the schools) always closed down for the first two weeks in July.

Ah, right. Same story in Lancashire, I think. Hard luck.:frown: Still, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. (Actually, is that even true or comforting? I don't know.) Anyway, good luck!
Reply 7263
Thanks! Looking forward to it, and finally feel entitled to post on this thread after months of stalking! :smile:
Original post by neilcn
Thanks! Looking forward to it, and finally feel entitled to post on this thread after months of stalking! :smile:

All are welcome here. The support is vital. (BTW if you use the reply button in the post box instead of the quick reply box at the bottom, it will alert people that you've replied to them.)
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Ah, right. Same story in Lancashire, I think. Hard luck.:frown: Still, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. (Actually, is that even true or comforting? I don't know.) Anyway, good luck!

I'm in Lancashire and we start back on the 3rd September. That's normal right? I never considered it not to be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I'm in Lancashire and we start back on the 3rd September. That's normal right? I never considered it not to be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's normal. I was thinking about Wakes Weeks and places like Wigan and Oldham, which used to have that pattern of holidays. Probably don't these days. I go back a long way...
Reply 7267
All are welcome here. The support is vital. (BTW if you use the reply button in the post box instead of the quick reply box at the bottom, it will alert people that you've replied to them.)

Got it! :smile: Yes, I'm sure I will be back for some moral support........
My uni lectures begin on the 14th, but I've got a week long placement starting in the 7th to do before that.

Nearly all my previous experience was with KS1, I'm excited to get some time with KS2. And a bit nervous if I have year 6...some of them are definitely taller than me (and probably have better hair and makeup!).
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone!

Just to let you know, from next Wednesday I will be co-hosting a trainee teacher chat on Twitter. We'll put out a few questions and it'll be a good chance for us to share experiences, thoughts etc about our journey through our training route. The account to follow is @ITTChat.

I hope to speak to you all soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neilcn

Nottingham must be very different to Leicester, even though we're right next door! I'm starting my PGCE on the 1st September, schools round here typically go back around the 3rd :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kinda random perhaps, but I've been pondering whether to try teaching, and the process has involved a lot of forum-surfing! I remember you from a thread a year or two old, where you were thinking seriously about finding another career. If it's not too intrusive, could I ask whether you still feel that way? And if not, what has changed?
Original post by member841230
Kinda random perhaps, but I've been pondering whether to try teaching, and the process has involved a lot of forum-surfing! I remember you from a thread a year or two old, where you were thinking seriously about finding another career. If it's not too intrusive, could I ask whether you still feel that way? And if not, what has changed?

Hi. No problem. Impressive memory. Probably every 1 in 4 posts of mine on this thread were me wanting to leave :awesome: .

Anyway. I didn't necessarily change my mind - the thought still continually runs laps around my mind! However, the thought has significantly dulled down since my second placement. I hated first placement and I have no doubts that if that school was my second (longer) placement, I'd not have finished the course. It is amazing the effect that a good placement school and mentor can have on your confidence and enjoyment. I also made a lot of growth on my second placement and it made me believe that I am actually good at teaching. Lets face it, everyone enjoys things that they are good at and have confidence in.

However, to put a downer on things, I must say that the number one reason as to why I haven't left teaching is a lack of alternative for me. I do not have a useful degree so the alternative careers are not clear cut. I do plan to move into a pastoral role eventually though. My current job is half teaching half pastoral so I'll be well qualified to move over to pastoral if something comes up hopefully. College starts next week and I can't wait to be a personal tutor but I'm dreading the actual lessons. That is a sign for me. I have found that I have a genuine want to work in education and help students, just not necessarily by teaching. I have lacked confidence in my subject knowledge and what I'm actually qualified to teach, which can leave me feeling a bit aimless when it comes to delivering a subject. Don't underestimate how important it is to have a passion for the subject you are teaching!

Sorry if I ranted. If you want any advice just ask.
Hi. No problem. Impressive memory. Probably every 1 in 4 posts of mine on this thread were me wanting to leave :awesome: .

Anyway. I didn't necessarily change my mind - the thought still continually runs laps around my mind! However, the thought has significantly dulled down since my second placement. I hated first placement and I have no doubts that if that school was my second (longer) placement, I'd not have finished the course. It is amazing the effect that a good placement school and mentor can have on your confidence and enjoyment. I also made a lot of growth on my second placement and it made me believe that I am actually good at teaching. Lets face it, everyone enjoys things that they are good at and have confidence in.

However, to put a downer on things, I must say that the number one reason as to why I haven't left teaching is a lack of alternative for me. I do not have a useful degree so the alternative careers are not clear cut. I do plan to move into a pastoral role eventually though. My current job is half teaching half pastoral so I'll be well qualified to move over to pastoral if something comes up hopefully. College starts next week and I can't wait to be a personal tutor but I'm dreading the actual lessons. That is a sign for me. I have found that I have a genuine want to work in education and help students, just not necessarily by teaching. I have lacked confidence in my subject knowledge and what I'm actually qualified to teach, which can leave me feeling a bit aimless when it comes to delivering a subject. Don't underestimate how important it is to have a passion for the subject you are teaching!

Sorry if I ranted. If you want any advice just ask.

Thanks - really helpful!
That's normal. I was thinking about Wakes Weeks and places like Wigan and Oldham, which used to have that pattern of holidays. Probably don't these days. I go back a long way...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in Lancashire and I go back on the 8th! We got a lovely 7 week holiday this year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm in Lancashire and I go back on the 8th! We got a lovely 7 week holiday this year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not jealous at all...

I've been in from the 17th August as they have two week staff training (for all staff not just nqts). I'm sure that's not typical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same time last year I was so nervous about starting the PGCE, now I am about to start my NQT year. A lot has happened In one year.

For all those who are starting your PGCE in September, make sure you have a restful summer holiday(what's left of it anyway). Try and not worry about the course. I didn't do any reading before and am glad I did not! Honestly,you will be taught everything from scratch once you start the course.

Before I started, I thought the course would be notoriously difficult as I've heard it so many times. Now I've experienced it myself and I want to offer my 2 cents on it. You will be occupied with tasks from the minute you step into uni on your first day until the day you finish(get used to having to add more items on your growing to-list) , you're being trained to become a teacher, so expect the course to be busy and full on.

You will probably cry at least once during the course(more than once in my case haha) .There were moments in this course where I was totally stressed(see earlier posts) and was completely out of my depth. It was a challenging year in which ultimately boils down to on how organised you are. But do remember you are not alone, I was lucky to have such supportive PGCE-ers in my course and colleagues in school. Also, I can't thank this thread enough( thank you everybody, especially @Carnationlilyrose for being such a hero to us all).

Overall, during the PGCE you experience plenty of highs and lows, make sure you constantly reflect on those experience and learn from those.Also, try and take on board the teaching feedback given by your tutors and mentors(as well as classroom teachers observing you). I know it's easier said than done, some feedback given to me were pretty hard to swallow. But,If you can take feedback on board and be able to implement it, then you will go very far.

The course was really enjoyable, you will meet interesting people from all walks of life. It was such a great experience and I've learnt so much about myself.

I am currently preparing myself for the NQT Year and the new challenges I will encounter. I am kind of nervous(and tad bit scared),but I know that the PGCE year has given me all the confidence in the world to take on this new challenge.

Good luck. It will be all worth it in the end.

Sorry the the long post ;p
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess i count as this now, I've registered and start in 2 weeks... Exciting.
Original post by Red Lightning
Also, I can't thank this thread enough( thank you everybody, especially @Carnationlilyrose for being such a hero to us all)
Aw, sweetheart!:colondollar: Thank you! Now, go out and be great and be happy.
Aw, sweetheart!:colondollar: Thank you! Now, go out and be great and be happy.

I don't think you realise how much you've helped people on here. We all really appreciate it. :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending