The Student Room Group

Illustration University choices

Hello
Anyone here applying for BA Illustration next year?
Wheres everyone applied?
ive got
Falmouth
bournemouth
middlesex
norwich
hertfordshire

I wana go for brighton aswel but my tutor says i shudnt go for falmouth AND brighton cos ther equally competitive, but i could replace one of the less competitve ones for brighton but that may not be a good idea apparently.... What are norwich, middlesex and hertfordshire like? Are they fairly decent for illustration? i wana be sure before i send this.... also is bournemouth particularly competitive to get into for illustration?
Where are you guys applying to do illustrion?
Original post by d swars
Hello
Anyone here applying for BA Illustration next year?
Wheres everyone applied?
ive got
Falmouth
bournemouth
middlesex
norwich
hertfordshire

I wana go for brighton aswel but my tutor says i shudnt go for falmouth AND brighton cos ther equally competitive, but i could replace one of the less competitve ones for brighton but that may not be a good idea apparently.... What are norwich, middlesex and hertfordshire like? Are they fairly decent or ****? i wana be sure before i send this.... also is bournemouth particularly competitive to get into?
Where are you guys applying to do illustrion?

i've got a few friends at camberwell doing it, supposed to be one of the best courses for it.
Reply 2
Camberwells too close, i need to escape london, i know theres many good art colleges in london, but its just as well outside. staying at home is not an option lol
Reply 3
Right so Brighton vs Falmouth. there supposed to be top tier for illustration and really competitive to get a place at.
Which ones better and why?
Is it a good idea to apply for both?
Anyone do illustration at either of these, if so whats it like?
Hey =) i'm applying for graphic design courses and i've applied to Hertfordshire for the Graphic design and Illustration degree. I went to the degree show there and personally I thought that there was some seriously good illustration work - all different styles and media =)
Reply 5
If you want to apply for Brighton, apply for Brighton. I'd personally get rid of Hertfordshire or Middlesex.
Reply 6
Original post by Kai Hiwatari
Hey =) i'm applying for graphic design courses and i've applied to Hertfordshire for the Graphic design and Illustration degree. I went to the degree show there and personally I thought that there was some seriously good illustration work - all different styles and media =)

Sick, im more on the traditional techniques, never used a computer to illustrate anything before lol, but defo wana learn, do they expect u to know how to use various programs already?
I'm applying for Graphic Design (different but still has elements of illustration depending on the course)
I'm applying to
Falmouth
Brighton
Chelsea College of Art and Design
UWIC
Glamorgan

Chelsea isn't really a real option, and i might even substitute it for a different choice.
I'm not sure on those uni's you've listed though sorry, Falmouth is excellent though!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by d swars
Sick, im more on the traditional techniques, never used a computer to illustrate anything before lol, but defo wana learn, do they expect u to know how to use various programs already?

Saame lol =)
Apparently they don't expect you to know and they'll give workshops =)

With your other choices, I actually think its worth applying for Falmouth and Brighton because they're both amazing courses from what i've heard. Also have you looked at Loughborough's course? I've heard that its also really good =)
Reply 9
Saame lol =)
Apparently they don't expect you to know and they'll give workshops =)

With your other choices, I actually think its worth applying for Falmouth and Brighton because they're both amazing courses from what i've heard. Also have you looked at Loughborough's course? I've heard that its also really good =)

thanks man, everyone seems to tell me to apply for both n go for it! its just my tutor who thinks i cant make it lol, but shes only been my tutor for like 1 month, she doesnt really know my work etc.
yh i checked out loughborough but i found the work very narrative focused and i prefered bournemouth, i also heard its very competitive to get into loughborough, i wana keep my choices balanced
Original post by d swars
thanks man, everyone seems to tell me to apply for both n go for it! its just my tutor who thinks i cant make it lol, but shes only been my tutor for like 1 month, she doesnt really know my work etc.
yh i checked out loughborough but i found the work very narrative focused and i prefered bournemouth, i also heard its very competitive to get into loughborough, i wana keep my choices balanced

Lol yeah =p and each university will probably be looking for different things so there's a lot of opportunity I think =) So which one are you swapping Brighton with?
Reply 11
Lol yeah =p and each university will probably be looking for different things so there's a lot of opportunity I think =) So which one are you swapping Brighton with?

Ahh most probably swapping it for middlesex or hertfordshire, which do you think? u know anything bout either of them?
Original post by d swars
Ahh most probably swapping it for middlesex or hertfordshire, which do you think? u know anything bout either of them?

Yeah i'm applying to both for graphic design and graphic design and illustration. Wasn't that impressed with the course tutors at middlesex but its gonna have a new art and design campus...
Hertfordshire had some seriously good work so =)
You been to any of them on open days?
Reply 13
Yeah i'm applying to both for graphic design and graphic design and illustration. Wasn't that impressed with the course tutors at middlesex but its gonna have a new art and design campus...
Hertfordshire had some seriously good work so =)
You been to any of them on open days?

Nope been to none of them lol, first time i see the places wud be in interview if i get that far, which i hope i will lol, ucas is now ready to send what a load of my mind thanks everyone, ive gone with falmouth and brighton ima hope its a good decision :biggrin:
Original post by d swars
Nope been to none of them lol, first time i see the places wud be in interview if i get that far, which i hope i will lol, ucas is now ready to send what a load of my mind thanks everyone, ive gone with falmouth and brighton ima hope its a good decision :biggrin:

Lol good luck =)
Reply 15
Thanks all of you <3

Quick Reply

Latest