The Student Room Group

Masters in Shipping and Finance

Hello!
I am looking for a good masters in shipping in the UK. I would like to combine this with finance. Anyone knows anything about the MSc in International Shipping and Finance offered by ICMA Centre, Henley Business School? It looks very interesting and also Cass has a similar one in Shipping, Trade and Finance. I am thinking of applying to both but anyone that knows more about these two?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Hey! I just found this on google. I am thinking of applying to the Masters in Shipping and Finance at Henley Business School too. It looks very interesting, both in terms of content and career potential and it certainly sounds very practical, which is exactly what I'm looking for! Hope if we are both accepted i may see you there??! Email me if you are still around.
Alex
Reply 2
Hi !
I just saw your messages about which master degree to follow, so as an MSc student in the program of International Shipping and Finance of the ICMA centre, I thought I can help you on your decision.
One year before actually that I was at the same position you currently are, I decided to apply for this degree having as an aim to combine knowledge of two strong markets, the financial and the shipping one.
Being a student at the ICMA, I can assure you that I am getting the most out of my investment. In terms of knowledge, the program offers both theoretical but also practical backround, by having many practitioners of the market as guest speakers to discuss on current issues.
That gives students the opportunity to start building a professional network which is indeed necessary for your career. At this point, I also want to mention the internship opportunities available which are definitely a good start on your professional world.
Finally, what I found even more important is the continuous support and accessibility we have from our program directors which helps resolve immediately any issues that affect our studies.
And to conclude, I think that the competitive advantage of the MSc in International Shipping & Finance of the ICMA centre is the fact that it brings you close to two of the biggest financial and shipping centres worldwide, London and Piraeus.
I hope my comments had been useful to you!

Anna-Maria
Reply 3
Hi!
I've recently been accepted into the Masters in Shipping and Finance at Henley Business School. I finished my undergrad degree in 2010 and my main concern is preparation before September academically.

Anna-Maria- Do you have any advice on how I can prepare myself as far as something I should read or brush up on?

Also, I'd love to get to know more people who will join me in the program this year :smile:
Reply 4
The shipping business is quite down recently. Take a look at the Baltic Exchange Dry Index.
Reply 5
I think Cass is the best school to study finance and shipping!!
Reply 6
Original post by Emo_Rhino
The shipping business is quite down recently. Take a look at the Baltic Exchange Dry Index.

It's a mistake to make a decision that may affect the rest of your life based on what is currently happening in a market. If you had an argument that the shipping business was in long-term decline and there was an oversupply of graduates, that might be an argument. But BDI can be pretty volatile. I wouldn't base a career decision on where it is now.
Reply 7
Hi all, wow it seems like this is getting hot again after a year or so! Well I have to say my experience at Cass is a bit disappointing. The programme is well marketed and advertised but it's now clearly on auto pilot. And It didn't help me a lot getting a job really. It is all up to me.

From what people say here it does sound like the Msc International Shipping and Finance at Henley Business School has a more hands on approach and the internships offered are also quite impressive I have to say. Oh well too late for me now anyway!

Also about Emo's comment: this is the best possible time to study shipping exactly because the market has bottomed!
Reply 8
Hey Nilu! Hope all is well. Good to hear that you will be joining. Me too!
I mean its 90% sure I think I have made my final choice now. It looks like ICMA Centre's shipping degree has some very interesting features that make it quite unique.
Actually I have met some others with offers on the degree's facebook site.
Also I emailed the director and he was very helpful regarding preparation etc.
Hopefully see you in Reading!
S
Hello Nilu265 & Sam86666. Hope to see you guys at Icma center soonnnn. I'm the one who'd like to join MSc ISF at Henley Business School. I reckon the course is unique and very practical.

Please keep in touch via facebook; http://facebook.com/Jitchanamont
Hello guys,

looks like there was an intense discussion choice of business schools regarding masters in shipping finance. CASS and ICMA are the best in this profession.

CASS is conducting the shipping program from a much longer time as compared to ICMA and hence has captured good market reputations. I am not very sure about the internships they provide (as one of the student earlier is not very happy) but of course a good student from CASS would be fetching a dream job. One the other hand ICMA gives a month experience in Greece as they conduct this programme along with ALBA. You would get a dual master degree. They conduct field trips to various companies in Greece, and London. This of course gives an exposure to shipping practices and Greece being the largest ship owning country, this experience would be priceless. You would get good contacts with the companies during your visits.

Regarding bad shipping market, I would say it's the right opportunity to get a professional degree as industry would need more expertise when they are making losses. When market is good, everyone makes money and no one cares how it comes. No doubt it would be a challenge for you to make a company perform good in a very bad market as this, but also would be a gateway for your bright future if you prove yourself worthy. you can rise up the ladder faster.

Hope this helps
Reply 11
HiI just read all the comments in this thread.Can you please share your post career journey?Did you like it??Was it a successful one?? can I seek your advice in making my decision of joining icma?Please respond. Cheers!
Reply 12
Original post by amfoteinou
Hi !
I just saw your messages about which master degree to follow, so as an MSc student in the program of International Shipping and Finance of the ICMA centre, I thought I can help you on your decision.
One year before actually that I was at the same position you currently are, I decided to apply for this degree having as an aim to combine knowledge of two strong markets, the financial and the shipping one.
Being a student at the ICMA, I can assure you that I am getting the most out of my investment. In terms of knowledge, the program offers both theoretical but also practical backround, by having many practitioners of the market as guest speakers to discuss on current issues.
That gives students the opportunity to start building a professional network which is indeed necessary for your career. At this point, I also want to mention the internship opportunities available which are definitely a good start on your professional world.
Finally, what I found even more important is the continuous support and accessibility we have from our program directors which helps resolve immediately any issues that affect our studies.
And to conclude, I think that the competitive advantage of the MSc in International Shipping & Finance of the ICMA centre is the fact that it brings you close to two of the biggest financial and shipping centres worldwide, London and Piraeus.
I hope my comments had been useful to you!

Anna-Maria

Hi!
I just read all the comments on this thread and I am interested in knowing your post career journey. Can you please help me in making the decision of joining icma?
if yes then please reply here
Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending