The Student Room Group

Jobs in South Thames

So I have been allocated to South Thames (hooray! :biggrin:)

But i'm confused about jobs/locations. I know what my preferences are:

Out of London F1, London F2

DGH for F1

Good mess environment (I know at some places everyone disappears to London at every given opportunity)

Able to work nights

Good reports from other F1s about teaching/support etc

Not essential, but possibly somewhere offering Paeds or Obs/Gynae for F1

The only South Thames places Southampton have placements at are Guildford and Chichester and I don't have placements at either of them so would really appreciate people's guidance esp Jamie and Helenia (and anyone else who knows anything about South Thames!

Not too worried about F2 at present but am thinking Lewisham or Guys/Tommies as I know the areas very well.

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
*scuttles in* even though I'm only an applicant but I'll pm you :smile: *scuttles out*
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sarky
So I have been allocated to South Thames (hooray! :biggrin:)

But i'm confused about jobs/locations. I know what my preferences are:

Out of London F1, London F2

DGH for F1

Good mess environment (I know at some places everyone disappears to London at every given opportunity)

Able to work nights

Good reports from other F1s about teaching/support etc

Not essential, but possibly somewhere offering Paeds or Obs/Gynae for F1

The only South Thames places Southampton have placements at are Guildford and Chichester and I don't have placements at either of them so would really appreciate people's guidance esp Jamie and Helenia (and anyone else who knows anything about South Thames!

Not too worried about F2 at present but am thinking Lewisham or Guys/Tommies as I know the areas very well.

Thank you in advance

How are they doing it this year?
Paired f1-f2 jobs
choose jobs based on rotations etc?
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie
How are they doing it this year?
Paired f1-f2 jobs
choose jobs based on rotations etc?

Initially its based on colours (not sure if it was when you applied). So blue is roughly east south thames, green is south (includes brighton) and yellow is west (i.e. surrey). There are a mixture of all areas within the colours though. I'm going to go with blue because it has the most jobs that are linked to the F2 areas I want to work in.

Your F1 job is linked to an F2 trust rather than an F2 job.

I have a decent score (i'm in the second decile) but they haven't given us a histogram so I don't know how many other people are in the same position.
Original post by Sarky
Initially its based on colours (not sure if it was when you applied). So blue is roughly east south thames, green is south (includes brighton) and yellow is west (i.e. surrey). There are a mixture of all areas within the colours though. I'm going to go with blue because it has the most jobs that are linked to the F2 areas I want to work in.

Your F1 job is linked to an F2 trust rather than an F2 job.

I have a decent score (i'm in the second decile) but they haven't given us a histogram so I don't know how many other people are in the same position.

What a bonkers system. Gets worse every year.

Back in t'day I had a list of 400+ jobs, each showing the hospital and rotations for F1 AND F2. Came ona massive excel spreadsheet.

Few clicks later and all jobs that has psych, O&G, paeds, ortho or GP removed, and down to 120 ish jobs.
Knew I was first quartile so I rated 50.

Got number 2
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie
What a bonkers system. Gets worse every year.

Back in t'day I had a list of 400+ jobs, each showing the hospital and rotations for F1 AND F2. Came ona massive excel spreadsheet.

Few clicks later and all jobs that has psych, O&G, paeds, ortho or GP removed, and down to 120 ish jobs.
Knew I was first quartile so I rated 50.

Got number 2

Any tips then? Or recommendation of places that are good for F1 bearing in mind what i said in my first post. Please? :redface:
Original post by Sarky
Any tips then? Or recommendation of places that are good for F1 bearing in mind what i said in my first post. Please? :redface:

Not really. Since my F1 year the free accomodation has been removed from most places and that has been a death knell to the social lives at many DGHs.
I love Hastings in my F1 year and the guys at Worthing, Eastbourne, Tumbridge Wells all said the same. Really great communities of F1s who hung out alot.

But from what I've heard now its the familiar story of everyone living out and commuting with the expected loss of social cohesion and comradery.
Reply 7
Original post by Jamie
Not really. Since my F1 year the free accomodation has been removed from most places and that has been a death knell to the social lives at many DGHs.
I love Hastings in my F1 year and the guys at Worthing, Eastbourne, Tumbridge Wells all said the same. Really great communities of F1s who hung out alot.

But from what I've heard now its the familiar story of everyone living out and commuting with the expected loss of social cohesion and comradery.

Ok, thanks for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending