The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

2011/12 Postgraduates

Scroll to see replies

Right - just got accepted to Fife Park Apartments which happen to be the most expensive! Not good at all! Rang up accommodation and this is all that was left sadly!

At least I get my own shower? :/
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
thats awesome !
I accepted FPA too. Can u tell me what does NS1002 mean?
The NS refers to which building (there are a handful) I am in NS as well and I assume the numbers refer to the dorm? However, I complained and got offered 49 weeks at Fife Park which is ridiculously cheap but it seems to get dire reviews online & from forums (dated/too many people to one shower/really cold/wildlife in the house).

Also its not offered online or in the application form which makes me wonder whether this is good - also there was rumours that it wasn't available as it will be knocked down this year but maybe pushed back to 2012! Either way if its getting knocked down it cannot be good!

Tasha1986 offer any advice on Fife Park Houses?
(dated/too many people to one shower/really cold/wildlife in the house).

Wildlife? insects and rodents or are we dealing with something larger. I live in an urban jungle of sorts. I thought i would be getting a vacation from bugs bats and rats in the much colder climat of st andrews. O well you just got to prepare, to prevent bed bug contamination just wrap the matress in a plastic cover after you spray a mild disinfectant , if its roachs just make sure to not keep any food in the trash can at night(this tip applies to all insects). If its rats i would sugest to get a cat only we cant have pets in the dorms. And for the communal showering i would sugest FLIPFLOPS the feet are the windows of the soul dermatologicaly speaking. Im a germaphobe /Insesctaphobe there are plenty more nurotic tips where those came from.
Yeah I read that it is mainly rodents/mice - either way may be an exaggeration by previous students. I am tempted to pay the full price for the expensive FPA instead - will think about it over the weekend.
Did you check into Eden court?
Yeah - everything is completely booked now apart from FPA and the Fife Park housing.
I lived in FP Houses last year and they honestly are not that bad! THey are ugly, that's for sure, but as for wildlife?! If you don't clean your house then of course you're going to get unwanted visitors!

FPA are the biggest rip-off in town by far!!!! You can still use the bar and other facilities in DRA/FPA if you live in FP Houses, and they are in the same area, which is quiet and green. The houses are old, and they will be demolished eventually, but this part of a university-wide plan that also includes demolishing Albany Park eventually, getting rid of St Regulus as a residence (a really pretty undergrad residence in town because they claim it is too expensive to renovate), and building more massively over-priced accommodation on the edge of town. The demolition of FP Houses is not because they are unfit to live in. It is part of an extensive plan by the university (and one which if more students new about the small print details, they would definitely not support).

There is no way that FPA are worth £7000 a year. A complete rip-off.
Original post by bruisedheart17
Ugly? Are you talking about from the inside? They look kinda pretty from the outside. Atleast better than Gannochy. Could you share us some pictures of FPH if you have any? Im gonna be in FPH :smile:

Well I suppose ugly is a subjective word :s-smilie: I don't have any pictures unfortunately. But on the inside they are pretty plain. As you go in the front door there is the stair case in front of you, and then a small hallway on the other side with the bathroom at the end. The walls are painted white, and the floor is either blue or red. There is a door next to the bathroom leading into a small hallway where the kitchen and 3 bedrooms are. Right at the top of the staircase is a toilet and another hallway where the other three bedrooms are. All the walls are white. The new kitchens have black cabinets, which are lockable and each resident gets their own cabinet. It's pretty basic to be honest, but all the residences are. The undergrads are the only ones who get the pretty residences, except for Dean's Court obviously. But the area is nice and green, and people often have picnics on the lawn when the weather is nice. And it's always nice to see the ducks and ducklings wondering around :smile:
i had a question regarding electronics. Im from overseas and i have been getting conflicting reports about what type of electronic devices are permited. i have been told that i can use a convirter and then i have also been told that i need to get my equipment PET certified . I have a Laptop that is adapted to north american voltage will i have to get a new one? Are there any north americans who have been able to take their computers? any guidance on this matter will be helpful Thanks :smile:
i had a question regarding electronics. Im from overseas and i have been getting conflicting reports about what type of electronic devices are permited. i have been told that i can use a convirter and then i have also been told that i need to get my equipment PET certified . I have a Laptop that is adapted to north american voltage will i have to get a new one? Are there any north americans who have been able to take their computers? any guidance on this matter will be helpful Thanks
Original post by frangelico
i had a question regarding electronics. Im from overseas and i have been getting conflicting reports about what type of electronic devices are permited. i have been told that i can use a convirter and then i have also been told that i need to get my equipment PET certified . I have a Laptop that is adapted to north american voltage will i have to get a new one? Are there any north americans who have been able to take their computers? any guidance on this matter will be helpful Thanks

You can take your computer, there'll be no problem. You do have to get things PET tested though, as they do carry out inspections (I almost had my computer confiscated because I didn't get it PET tested). It's a really easy thing to do. You may be able to get around it by having a multisocket that is protected against surges (I can't remember atm what these are called), but at any rate, you can bring your computer.
...what's a PET test? o_o all my electronic equipment is from Germany but I have loads of UK adaptors which I used for the last couple of years while I lived in the UK. I hope that'll be okay... >_>.
Original post by Seelentherapie
...what's a PET test? o_o all my electronic equipment is from Germany but I have loads of UK adaptors which I used for the last couple of years while I lived in the UK. I hope that'll be okay... >_>.

A PET test is just a quick test that an electrician does on your electrical equipment to certify that it is safe (correctly wired, etc). The electrician plugs your things into a special box and then puts a sticker on your lead if its safe. Usually the residence management team will arrange a few days when an electrician will visit in order to get this done. Obviously it is posible to go the whole year without this being done, but if during an inspection it is brought up then you will have to get your stuff tested.
Original post by Tasha1986
Y
You may be able to get around it by having a multisocket that is protected against surges (I can't remember atm what these are called), but at any rate, you can bring your computer.

Does the multisocket have to be from the uk? thanks alot for the tip
Original post by Tasha1986
A PET test is just a quick test that an electrician does on your electrical equipment to certify that it is safe (correctly wired, etc). The electrician plugs your things into a special box and then puts a sticker on your lead if its safe. Usually the residence management team will arrange a few days when an electrician will visit in order to get this done. Obviously it is posible to go the whole year without this being done, but if during an inspection it is brought up then you will have to get your stuff tested.

Okay, thanks :smile:
So, the Postgraduate Catalogue for 2011/12 is up (yay!), but it has only very general information on the courses. Does anyone know how I can find out the class times (and possibly the profs/lecturers)?
Original post by Miss_Washington
So, the Postgraduate Catalogue for 2011/12 is up (yay!), but it has only very general information on the courses. Does anyone know how I can find out the class times (and possibly the profs/lecturers)?

Ooh exciting! Thanks for letting us know that the catalogue is up. It says 'continuous assessment' for almost all of my modules. I really hope that means no written examination at the end of each semester :biggrin:
Original post by frangelico
Does the multisocket have to be from the uk? thanks alot for the tip

I don't think so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending