The Student Room Group

My school is making me pay for my exams!!!

Hey guys,

I'm currently in year 13 ready to take my A2s. I study hard and have always received good grades.

Attendance to my lessons is 100%, however like 90% of people in my year we do not attend form time on a regular basis.

Form time consists of sitting doing nothing for 25mins, a waste of time. Even on the day when I have no lessons I am expected to come into form and then stay at school all day and do nothing, what a joke. I can't even do work at school as the equipment and resources they have are inadequate.

Ok get this, me and a few of other guys have been told because we don't go to form (even though our attendance to lessons is 100% that WE WILL NOW HAVE TO PAY TO BE ENTERED FOR OUR OWN A2s

Basically I just wanted to know if schools are actually allowed to do this and if you think it's right of them?

Thanks in advance, joelyboi xxxx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joelyboi

Original post by joelyboi
Hey guys,

I'm currently in year 13 ready to take my A2s. I study hard and have always received good grades.

Attendance to my lessons is 100%, however like 90% of people in my year we do not attend form time on a regular basis.

Form time consists of sitting doing nothing for 25mins, a waste of time. Even on the day when I have no lessons I am expected to come into form and then stay at school all day and do nothing, what a joke. I can't even do work at school as the equipment and resources they have are inadequate.

Ok get this, me and a few of other guys have been told because we don't go to form (even though our attendance to lessons is 100% that WE WILL NOW HAVE TO PAY TO BE ENTERED FOR OUR OWN A2s

Basically I just wanted to know if schools are actually allowed to do this and if you think it's right of them?

Thanks in advance, joelyboi xxxx

Technically you're not even supposed to be having "free exams", I cannot find anywhere on the 'net where it is the school's obligation to pay for the exams. After all, with the school cuts and all that, they have to save money somewhere.

What else can you do? :dontknow: (Unless phone up for council/LEA for advice).
doesn't everyone have to have to pay for their exams?
Reply 3
wow this is the first i've heard of this we don't have to pay to do our exams we only have to pay if we miss or withdraw from an exam ...
Reply 4
Original post by green chica
doesn't everyone have to have to pay for their exams?

We don't even have to pay for resits.
Reply 5
I get mine for free, including re-sits...
Your fault. Go to form class.
Do you go GHS?
Reply 8
Original post by helpnowplease
Do you go GHS?

haha nah mate, oh well spose I'll just pay up, better than losing precious minutes of my life in form LMAO
I'm sure they are allowed to charge you to be entered in to the exams., I knew a few people who had to pay for their exams. However, they would have to be able to prove that you knew the consequences of not attending form.
They should be able to prove they sent you warning letters and that they had informed you "if students do not attend form then students may be liable to pay for their exams" or something along those lines.

They can't just make you pay out of no-where.
I get free entrances but resits have to be payed for. Seems a bit stupid what they are saying, form time is just as much of a waste of time where I am, and if I had a free day I definitely wouldn't be coming in.
Write a letter to your head of year explaining what you have said here, or as a last resort just say you can't afford to pay. They'll soon back down, having someone drop out during the last year of school looks really bad for them so they would never let that happen.
Reply 11
I paid for all my exams... :s
Reply 12
It's not too much really.. Isn't it £12 odd per exam? It might work out to quite abit if you've got lots of exams though. Also, if you're over 19 you have to pay for your exams.
Reply 13
Is it just a new thing thats suddenly come out of the blue having to pay for your exams if you don't go to tutor or has this always been the case? Because if it has always been the case and you knew, surly they have a point by doing this. For example its like we have to have a certain attendance (over 85%) otherwise we don't get entered for the exam. But this has always been the case and we knew about it so I think unless there is a genuine reason then they have the right.

So the most important thing is, has this always been the case or has it come out of the blue with no warning and no information on the fact that this is what they will do? Because if you have known that this will happen then it's your own fault and its part of the schools rules that you have to follow.
Original post by Genocidal
We don't even have to pay for resits.

damn, as your sig says, i hate you.

i had to pay $95 PER EXAM!!!! and i took...8 exams!
Reply 15
Yeah, write to your headteacher. If your on course to be getting good results then they can't afford to lose you :tongue: if they do make you pay then MAKE THEM PAY ASWELL! :P If I'd been attending class all year and getting good results and they tried to do this, I'd give them a f**king reason to make me pay! :tongue: start egging the place left, right and centre, toilet paper over the building, or go egyptian riot style and ride a camel through the corridor! :tongue: Man, that got out of hand fast! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Twinkle06
It's not too much really.. Isn't it £12 odd per exam? It might work out to quite abit if you've got lots of exams though. Also, if you're over 19 you have to pay for your exams.

£12 :O :O :O My school are making us pay between 45 and 80 euros for each exam! Thieves!:mad:
Reply 17
Wtf where are you guys from?? :lolwut:
I didnt have to pay for anything to do with my education except school lunches, haha!
Reply 18
Original post by Tabers
Is it just a new thing thats suddenly come out of the blue having to pay for your exams if you don't go to tutor or has this always been the case? Because if it has always been the case and you knew, surly they have a point by doing this. For example its like we have to have a certain attendance (over 85%) otherwise we don't get entered for the exam. But this has always been the case and we knew about it so I think unless there is a genuine reason then they have the right.

So the most important thing is, has this always been the case or has it come out of the blue with no warning and no information on the fact that this is what they will do? Because if you have known that this will happen then it's your own fault and its part of the schools rules that you have to follow.

Me and a few others just got told about it today. Many others who also do not attend form were not even spoken to :/
Reply 19
Original post by KCosmo
Yeah, write to your headteacher. If your on course to be getting good results then they can't afford to lose you :tongue: if they do make you pay then MAKE THEM PAY ASWELL! :P If I'd been attending class all year and getting good results and they tried to do this, I'd give them a f**king reason to make me pay! :tongue: start egging the place left, right and centre, toilet paper over the building, or go egyptian riot style and ride a camel through the corridor! :tongue: Man, that got out of hand fast! :biggrin:

I like your style :biggrin: awesomesauce

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending