The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Question about fees and general prices!

Hey everyone,

I have an offer off Nottingham and I think I want to firm: excellent teaching, great campus, lots of sports facilities, and a good nightlife (I hope?).

Anyway my issue is that the accommodation seems expensive, I am sure it was £4k for self catering at broadgate, I could get a premier en-suite at Keele for less!

Unfortunately I am from a poor family, my single mum does not have a large income, would the £4k be an issue? How much would I have to pay after maintenance?

Also with regards to the nightlife, how expensive are drinks? I don't want to be blowing my savings in a night out! :P

Any help would be appreciated, I would of firmed by now but one of the ladies at work planted it into my head that I should think about accommodation costs..
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation...and I'm choosing an accommodation that costs like £4800 D;
I did some calculation and it could be an issue but I think I will be able to do it if I get a part-time job.

About the drinks...I'm not really sure because I'm a light-weight so I don't have to spend much to get drunk haha.

Alternatively, you could look into private rent flat/house because I've seen some about £65 p/w excluding bills.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Wanischa
I'm in the same situation...and I'm choosing an accommodation that costs like £4800 D;
I did some calculation and it could be an issue but I think I will be able to do it if I get a part-time job.

About the drinks...I'm not really sure because I'm a light-weight so I don't have to spend much to get drunk haha.

Alternatively, you could look into private rent flat/house because I've seen some about £65 p/w excluding bills.

Wow, that's a lot compared to what I was looking at!
Yeah that's always a good idea to have work, I wonder if it is easy to find work.. :/

Haha thinking about it, I'm also a lightweight, 4 pints is enough for me to be extremely giddy!
Yeah that's an idea, but I think I want the whole halls experience in my first year :smile:
Reply 3
I know right!
I'm sure if we try hard enough, we will probably find a job somewhere lol...if not well, back to overdraft and support from mother XD

I want to hall experience too...that's why I'm paying that much. Plus my mum insists that I have an en-suite. lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Wanischa
I know right!
I'm sure if we try hard enough, we will probably find a job somewhere lol...if not well, back to overdraft and support from mother XD

I want to hall experience too...that's why I'm paying that much. Plus my mum insists that I have an en-suite. lol.

Haha yeah that's true, i've saved up a fair amount, determined not to be in overdraft :P
Ha fair enough, your own toilet will be better in the morning :smile:
£4k for Broadgate? That doesn't sound quite right, I pay £4.4k for fully catered on Uni Park.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
£4k for Broadgate? That doesn't sound quite right, I pay £4.4k for fully catered on Uni Park.

BGP have longer contract than UP, so you get more weeks for your money, but no food.
Reply 7
I'd rather cater for myself anyway :smile:
Original post by MattyC93
Hey everyone,

I have an offer off Nottingham and I think I want to firm: excellent teaching, great campus, lots of sports facilities, and a good nightlife (I hope?).

Anyway my issue is that the accommodation seems expensive, I am sure it was £4k for self catering at broadgate, I could get a premier en-suite at Keele for less!

Unfortunately I am from a poor family, my single mum does not have a large income, would the £4k be an issue? How much would I have to pay after maintenance?

Also with regards to the nightlife, how expensive are drinks? I don't want to be blowing my savings in a night out! :P

Any help would be appreciated, I would of firmed by now but one of the ladies at work planted it into my head that I should think about accommodation costs..

Dude, poor students like us get nice grants from the government and the uni. My grants will cover most of my rent for a catered shared-ensuite on University Park. I'll have to contribute like, £1000? But I'll definitely need to find a job to feed my shopping habit :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by yahyahyahs
Dude, poor students like us get nice grants from the government and the uni. My grants will cover most of my rent for a catered shared-ensuite on University Park. I'll have to contribute like, £1000? But I'll definitely need to find a job to feed my shopping habit :biggrin:

Oh I see, very appealling :wink: I will be the same, but I have money saved up :smile: Hahaha women and their shopping ay! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending