The Student Room Group

Plan to bring UK clocks forward

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RyanT
Ahem, actually vis-a-vis other countries in our longitude we're out of sync for our timezone. You do have to ask yourself whether the French and everyone south of us, really have set their clocks wrong or perhaps it's us, you know - the people who share a time zone with portugal and west Africa - might be the ones in the wrong time zone.

All for what? Some of us work and would like to come back from work with an evening worth going out in. I'm personally fed up of coming home in darkness.

Why? Because some farmers in western scotland cry that it's too dark for them in the mornings. By having a timezone that is appropiate for our geography (for the vast majority of the people not living on the west coast of scotland!!) we could help move beyond a work-work-work mentality where our daylight hours are all spent in the office during 6 months of the year.

I personally look forward to being able to do something pleasant with my evenings. Also it's light enough in the mornings for most of the year (!) - why should we spend our evenings in darkness because some sad souls go to work at 6am? The problem is with them and their warped idea of work-life balance.

What's wrong with going to work at 6am? In some other countries in Europe it is common to start work really early but finish mid-afternoon. Why not adjust the work hours?

And I know my post was rather opinionated, but I leave the house at about 7:50 and walk through the woods to get to school. If it was any darker in the winter I just would not feel safe doing this!

Anyway, doesn't the government have more important stuff to be dealing with? I don't know... but isn't there some sort of economic recession they're supposed to be getting us out of? :rolleyes:
So, we are supposed to bend our time to fit the Eurocrats? Not on my watch thankyouverymuch. :lol:
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
So, we are supposed to bend our time to fit the Eurocrats? Not on my watch thankyouverymuch. :lol:

That is so bad, it's actually quite funny.
100% support. Visit France in May or September as I have done and you'll know the benefits.

Scotland's Parliament can make it's own decision, so if it doesn't suit them, they can stay as they are.
Reply 24
I'd definitely prefer longer evenings, even if the mornings are darker. When do both students and working adults have most lesuire/chill out time - in the evenings!
Reply 25
Original post by lintu93

anyway, doesn't the government have more important stuff to be dealing with? I don't know... But isn't there some sort of economic recession they're supposed to be getting us out of? :rolleyes:

and they are trying to do this by majorly boosting tourism, longer evenings would help this.
Reply 26
Original post by greebo-man
I'd well happily sacrifice light in the morning for extended evening fun. Think about it: when have you enjoyed your funnest times? just after waking up? or sitting on your porch watching the sky, cool beverage in hand.

It depends if your a morning person. I personally love the early morning run watching the sun rise. Priceless.
Reply 27
Surely for a scottish farmer the numbers on his clock are irrelevent?

he's got X amount of work and Y hours of daylight to do it in whatever the timezone.
-
Let's have decent evenings where most of us can get out and do something active after work rather than slopping in front of the telly and getting obese.
Reply 28
Yes do it. Darkness comes too early :frown:
The government are morons.
"If it's not broken, don't fix it" is what I've always said. Shame my MP doesn't agree :angry:
Reply 31
Waking up to dark rain clouds of doom is the worst feeling eve

Made me laugh!

'
Reply 32
We should just keep the clocks as they are, no need to change for a few tourists.
Reply 33
Why would it going dark put off tourists?
When you visit somewhere, seeing it all lit up at night is part of the attraction :moon:
I done get what everyone is saying, about less time in the day?

The day will still be 24hrs long, you're not losing any sleep or anything.
Reply 35
The fact that the UK is one measly hour behind Norway really doesn't bother me very much :tongue:. It wouldn't be an extreme change though.
I like having lighter evenings. Especially in the summer ,when the sun goes down late.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending