The Student Room Group

How do I pronounce couscous in order to stop being bullied?

I'm being play-bullied about my pronunciation of couscous and I will no longer stand for it! I need to get enough evidence that people in the UK do in fact pronounce couscous with the French vowel sounds to prove that I am not in a very small minority.

So the question is, which do you say?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ok i get far too confused writing with phonetics not to mention tsr doesn't seem to display them properly

i seem to switch between koos koos and kus kus. depending on who i'm with

and seriously who on earth would bully you for pronouncing it differently
(edited 13 years ago)
Lol.
Reply 3
Brilliant.

Yeah, as in coos-coos. Also add "it's so nice they named it twice", for extra cool points.
I say 'cus cus'. Not 'coos coos'. I am from Yorkshire, perhaps this is why.
i pronounce it "couscous"
Reply 6
Pronounce it like its spelt...
Reply 7
This can't be serious can it? OP please tell me this isn't serious? 0/10 for trolling, if this is real; I hope those kids who are bullying are shot by revolvers through their rectums...Sweet zombie Jesus kids are so stupid nowadays...Do half of these kids even know what a couscous is?
Original post by TheSilentG
This can't be serious can it? OP please tell me this isn't serious? 0/10 for trolling, if this is real; I hope those kids who are bullying are shot by revolvers through their rectums...Sweet zombie Jesus kids are so stupid nowadays...Do half of these kids even know what a couscous is?

Durr, everyone knows its a small winged creature from Norway. Don't know why they'd mention it at school though to be honest..
Reply 9
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Durr, everyone knows its a small winged creature from Norway. Don't know why they'd mention it at school though to be honest..

Ah good old couscous; it's a bit like Pegasaus but without the swagger...:biggrin:
Pronounce it as is, and learn to deflect their comments.
coo like a bird so 'coo-s coo-s' is how I would pronounce it.
I say kooskoos..

But then i've had a lot of problems with pronouncing english words (didn't grow up in the UK + first language not English,even though i AM English!)

Worst word problems i had were with pencil,penis (used to invert the pronunciation of the first three letters for both words!) and bantam.. I still apparently mispronounce turquoise too! I'm sure there are a few others... But i wouldn't worry that much.. Its cute to a lot of people :tongue:
Reply 13
I'd pronounce it like its spelt - couscous :rolleyes:

Quiche on the other hand...
kus kus...
Reply 15
like "noose noose" but with a c
koos koos (Y)
not kus kus or kows kows
Reply 17
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I say 'cus cus'. Not 'coos coos'. I am from Yorkshire, perhaps this is why.

Same here, and I'm from around Sheffield.
Original post by Einheri

Hah, I've literally never heard anyone say 'coos coos' before like other people are suggesting, at least nobody I know says it like that. Probably going to be some Northern hate going on now.:rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by Einheri

It's cus-cus. Yorkshire is right at everything.

For example, discontinuing the word 'the' when speaking.

OFF TO T' PUB!!

Latest