The Student Room Group

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by True Ace
Being vegetarian apart from steak. It just makes no sense.

I actually had a falling out with someone over this.

We were at a restaurant for my Grandma's 80th, and my cousin, who is one of those people who joins in with any fad as long as there is SOMEONE else on the planet doing it had declared at the start of the meal that she was a vegetarian.

"I don't eat meat. It's wrong" That's fine and all. If your morals object to eating flesh, I don't have a problem at all. But don't say it's wrong if you're actually just a vegetarian because you're watching your weight or some other spurious reason.

Later on in the meal, she was sat their nibbling on chicken wings that her boyfriend had ordered on the side, and literally just eating the steak he had ordered for his main. Like - she had taken it off his plate and was eating it.

So I said, as a joke "So you're a vegetarian apart from beef and chicken, the two most commercial forms of meat available" "Only with those. They're bred to be eaten, it isn't wrong with chicken and beef" "And ... the Pigs and Lambs are bred for RACING are they?" Cue laughter. Cousin stops eating the steak and sort of sits there sulking a bit. Her boyfriend and my uncle than proceed to joke about what bandwagon she will be on next week. I'm sort of sat there feeling bad because I didn't actually mean to embarrass/upset her.

Anyway, looping in quite nicely, her boyfriend then proceeded to finish off his steak with at least half a gallon of ketchup. His reasoning being "He doesn't like steak sauce". THAT'S NOT A REASON. I don't like the idea of putting my hand in a vice, but that doesn't mean the alternative is putting my hand in a blender. I shouldn't be doing either.
Reply 261
Original post by True Ace
Being vegetarian apart from steak. It just makes no sense.

My GCSE Food Tech teacher was Vegetarian "except from Poultry".

Um. No.
Reply 262
My ex insisted she was vegetarian apart from McDonalds hamburgers and chicken. It drove me to the point of furiousness debating with her, but some people can be infinitely stubborn.
Original post by TotoMimo
My ex insisted she was vegetarian apart from McDonalds hamburgers and chicken. It drove me to the point of furiousness debating with her, but some people can be infinitely stubborn.

Is that the reason she's your Ex?

We all know how you feel about food. I wouldn't judge you.
Reply 264
Original post by TwilightKnight
Is that the reason she's your Ex?

We all know how you feel about food. I wouldn't judge you.

Haha, it's not the reason, but man, did it irritate!
Original post by TotoMimo
Haha, it's not the reason, but man, did it irritate!

:yes:

We're all foodies here. It's ok. :hugs:
Coffee with Dinner! Why?
Original post by Fusilero
Coffee with Dinner! Why?

I really like coffee, so drink it all the time, and sometimes I haven't finished my mug when it's dinner time, so have it with dinner :erm:

(I wouldn't purposely go and make myself a cup of coffee for my with-dinner drink though - tap water all the way!)

Food-crime-wise, my little brother spends half the meal picking vital components out of his food (i.e. picking ginger out of stir fry last night). He also insists he hates onions, so will be eating something quite happily, until someone mentions there's onions in it, at which point he'll refuse to eat any more. YOU LIKED IT BEFORE YOU KNEW SO WHAT'S CHANGED?! :confused:
Putting extra salt on food before you have tasted it really annoys me!!! :angry: and my mother asking for her steak to be burnt!!
Original post by loonyplatypus
Ketchup + Mayonnaise.

Why would anyone think that would be a good combination?? :frown:

Isn't that 1000 Island dressing? :getmecoat:
drinking milk out the carton :frown: can't handle it
Crisps for lunch. Lunch is a meal...
Oooh! Refusal to try offal etc, just because they think the idea is gross. Whether you eat rump steak, chicken breast, or lamb liver, it's all the insides of an animal...Fair enough if you try it and don't like it, but it's silly to be put off by the idea!
Original post by dnumberwang
Crisps for lunch. Lunch is a meal...

YES! The other day a friend looked at me like I'd stabbed a puppy when I said I was making a Stir Fry for lunch. They were like..for lunch? Stir fry is COOKED, COOKED things are for dinner?

Whaaaaat a pleb
Original post by Sockpirate
Food-crime-wise, my little brother spends half the meal picking vital components out of his food (i.e. picking ginger out of stir fry last night). He also insists he hates onions, so will be eating something quite happily, until someone mentions there's onions in it, at which point he'll refuse to eat any more. YOU LIKED IT BEFORE YOU KNEW SO WHAT'S CHANGED?! :confused:

I have a friend like this, she hates onions. I bought some little cheese pasty things that had a bit of onion in for texture (not cheese and onion pasties, just cheese ones with things like potato etc. in) a while ago for a picnic and she ate one, liked it so started on another and after she took the first bite I asked her to pass me the pack and she read that they had onion in...

She spat out the rest immediately. I mean WTF. I can understand if you're allergic or whatever but because you don't like something but don't know it's there?!
Reply 275
Original post by Sockpirate
I really like coffee, so drink it all the time, and sometimes I haven't finished my mug when it's dinner time, so have it with dinner :erm:

(I wouldn't purposely go and make myself a cup of coffee for my with-dinner drink though - tap water all the way!)

This. My sister does this. Sitting there munching a chow mein from a new Chinese Takeaway and she's happily eating it, saying "This is amazing!", and I passively say "I'm surprised you're loving it so much, and you're even eating the water chestnuts, I thought you didn't like them."

Instantly she says "What? I didn't know they were in it! I hate them!" and proceeds to grimace, do the "scrape the tongue in disgust" thing, then tooth-comb the rest of her meal, picking out the water chestnuts she was previously num-numming on with glee.
Original post by SoapyDish
That's just like what they used to do at Boots when I worked there - all the nice sandwiches and fruit salads and stuff would be chucked out if they were out of date. I've asked a couple of times if I could take them home (I don't mind eating stuff that's a couple of days out of date), and they just say no :/

I don't mind either - so long as its not gone off dairy or something thats going to make you sick...cake/sandwiches/fruit salad isn't going to poison anyone if its a day or two over!
It gets worse. Today, there were two bags of raspberry & chocolate macaroons + a panini...just DUMPED in the bin...how can people be so wasteful? When I asked about it she just told me it was past it so it had to go...but i could see that it was all still fit to eat!! Its so wicked. :eek:
People who try something, don't like it, and then fake retch/pull exaggerated disgust faces etc.

People who say ' Ohmygod that makes me heave' in relation to food. I DOUBT THIS HIGHLY. Especially when they see I've ordered it and proceed to go 'Eugh, the smell, makes me retch' and faux retch. I get this so much when I eat tuna sandwiches. My sister does this regarding nuts. She tried VOLUNTARILY, knowing it had nuts in it, a peanut butter cake I made and proceeded to to scrape her tongue off, swill her mouth from the tap and fake heave. Nearly bitch slapped her.

Anyone who orders steak any more well done than rare. Philistines.
(edited 13 years ago)
all of the above. It is so true and so annoying when places do this. I can't bare the thought of a bakery, imagine the amount of deliciousness they throw away. Makes me tempted to do a 7pm shop raid marathon, just buying out all the fresh stuff.

Shamefully, I have to admit, a group of lads I know, when drunk..have been known to raid the bins behind a local tesco. The big biffa ones, they're full of bags and bags of doughnuts, bread, cookies, muffins (all still in their packaging and so on) and they eat them! I couldn't do it myself, being in a bin and all, even if it was a specific food bin for that..but drunken lads seemed not to care. And I was happy to see they weren't wasted.
Original post by skunky x
People who try something, don't like it, and then fake retch/pull exaggerated disgust faces etc.

People who say ' Ohmygod that makes me heave' in relation to food. I DOUBT THIS HIGHLY. Especially when they see I've ordered it and proceed to go 'Eugh, the smell, makes me retch' and faux retch. I get this so much when I eat tuna sandwiches.

Anyone who orders steak any more well done than rare. Philistines.

The word 'retch' itself tbh, although that's not a food crime :tongue: I don't think I've ever heard it used anywhere other than this site...

Quick Reply

Latest