The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

Is the University of Cumbria THAT bad?

Scroll to see replies

I know this is a 2022 thread but if my daughter doesn’t get the grades she requires I was wondering about her maybe applying here as we don’t live too far away so she could maybe commute.

But is the Uni of Cumbria really that bad (thinking of Law) and why do they have so many open days, offer days and applicant visit days? It almost seems quite desperate which is why she hasn’t ever visited and hasn’t even considered it for 2023 entry. But just wondering about a fall back plan and maybe going through Clearing if the worst come to the worst and she didn’t get the grades for her firm and insurance?
Thanks
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Original post by Anonymous
I know this is a 2022 thread but if my daughter doesn’t get the grades she requires I was wondering about her maybe applying here as we don’t live too far away so she could maybe commute.

But is the Uni of Cumbria really that bad (thinking of Law) and why do they have so many open days, offer days and applicant visit days? It almost seems quite desperate which is why she hasn’t ever visited and hasn’t even considered it for 2023 entry. But just wondering about a fall back plan and maybe going through Clearing if the worst come to the worst and she didn’t get the grades for her firm and insurance?
Thanks

It's awful, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! I graduated this summer from the Lancaster campus, and honestly this university has killed my mental health over the past three years. Aside from a small handful of tutors, the whole culture at this place is one of bullying. Those higher up couldn't care less about students, all decisions are made with an attitude of "the students can like it or lump it". I did one of the Primary Education courses. Aside from three tutors, the rest were rude, obnoxious and made you feel stupid for asking questions. The Teacher Education department had an awful ofsted inspection in 2022, as a result of which the university was stripped of it's QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) accreditation. The awful, lying bully who has the cheek to call herself the programme leader didn't feel as though student teachers needed to be told of this though. The first we heard was a year later when ofsted did a follow up inspection, and asked a few students how they felt about the uni losing QTS accreditation. The programme leader needs removing from her position, she's an absolute disgrace! They would give us lectures before placement and talk down to us in a really rude and condescending manner. Staff are corrupt and cover up wrongdoing at the expense of students' mental health. They consistently talk the talk yet never walk the walk. Library staff are rude. My friend has just started there on a completely different degree to the one I studied, and the rude woman on the front library desk had her in tears today by making her feel stupid as she was having issues connecting to the campus WiFi. What a lovely way to treat those new to the university hey?

The campus itself is just tiny and has inadequate services. Two cafes with an extremely poor and overpriced selection of food (although the catering staff themselves are lovely).

In contrast, I am now doing a Masters degree at a different university. The staff at my new uni are so friendly and helpful, that it really hits home how rude, obnoxious and toxic Cumbria is. Cumbria is ranked 123 out of 130 in the UK University league tables. Believe me when I say it deserves this ranking. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it deserves to be placed at 130. As I struggle to believe that there are seven universities in the UK that are worse than Cumbria.

Cumbria love bullying people into silence, and that's exactly why I'm going to shout from the rooftops about how bad they are! I would not recommend this university to anyone.
I’ve started at this university and so far so good. My personal tutor has been very helpful and also all my lecturers know me by my name. Everyone has also been so lovely. I also love how small it is as it doesn’t feel so overwhelming.
I have to disagree. I was at University of Cumbria years ago and me and many other students were treated very unfairly despite our commitment, passion and hard work. A person was thrown out just because she was on a wheel chair and many other episodes of racism went on that I have witnessed. if the university has financial troubles is because of all the lawsuits it receives every year.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous #2
It's awful, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! I graduated this summer from the Lancaster campus, and honestly this university has killed my mental health over the past three years. Aside from a small handful of tutors, the whole culture at this place is one of bullying. Those higher up couldn't care less about students, all decisions are made with an attitude of "the students can like it or lump it". I did one of the Primary Education courses. Aside from three tutors, the rest were rude, obnoxious and made you feel stupid for asking questions. The Teacher Education department had an awful ofsted inspection in 2022, as a result of which the university was stripped of it's QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) accreditation. The awful, lying bully who has the cheek to call herself the programme leader didn't feel as though student teachers needed to be told of this though. The first we heard was a year later when ofsted did a follow up inspection, and asked a few students how they felt about the uni losing QTS accreditation. The programme leader needs removing from her position, she's an absolute disgrace! They would give us lectures before placement and talk down to us in a really rude and condescending manner. Staff are corrupt and cover up wrongdoing at the expense of students' mental health. They consistently talk the talk yet never walk the walk. Library staff are rude. My friend has just started there on a completely different degree to the one I studied, and the rude woman on the front library desk had her in tears today by making her feel stupid as she was having issues connecting to the campus WiFi. What a lovely way to treat those new to the university hey?

The campus itself is just tiny and has inadequate services. Two cafes with an extremely poor and overpriced selection of food (although the catering staff themselves are lovely).

In contrast, I am now doing a Masters degree at a different university. The staff at my new uni are so friendly and helpful, that it really hits home how rude, obnoxious and toxic Cumbria is. Cumbria is ranked 123 out of 130 in the UK University league tables. Believe me when I say it deserves this ranking. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it deserves to be placed at 130. As I struggle to believe that there are seven universities in the UK that are worse than Cumbria.

Cumbria love bullying people into silence, and that's exactly why I'm going to shout from the rooftops about how bad they are! I would not recommend this university to anyone.
I absolutely agree with you. That's exactly what happened to me. Some corruption took place with my place at the Pgce and they covered until the end without fixing the problem, despite me having repeatedly complained to all the platforms possible. I have really bad memories and if I think about I still can't believe they have insulted me and bullied me in all the possible ways, both verbally and in written form. They did that just because I was foreigner and it was difficult for me to find the right legal representation I deserved. I am so glad they were removed from the list of QTS providers as I was shocked they continued operating, despite not reaching even by far the standards of a normal university, and offending the entire academic community with their actions. Ah, and despite having insulted me saying I had mental issues, which prevented me from being a teacher, I am teacher now and they cannot award QTS anymore. Finally at least, a bit of justice.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous #2

Hi this is really concerning me and my friend as we were both thinking of going to Cumbria to do nursing and midwifery courses. What uni do you go to now that is really good.? I am sorry this happened to you 😢
Original post by Marlow22
Hi this is really concerning me and my friend as we were both thinking of going to Cumbria to do nursing and midwifery courses. What uni do you go to now that is really good.? I am sorry this happened to you 😢

same here! Ive got an interview on the 17th for Cumbria. two interviews in other unis too. But this is worrying me. i had a terrible experience at UCLan. I did a bachelors and masters there, but it is very much staff can do no wrong and blame it on the students. I suspect tis a culture that may run through all unis.
Original post by jmachin6
same here! Ive got an interview on the 17th for Cumbria. two interviews in other unis too. But this is worrying me. i had a terrible experience at UCLan. I did a bachelors and masters there, but it is very much staff can do no wrong and blame it on the students. I suspect tis a culture that may run through all unis.
Hi @jmachin6,

I'm very sorry to read your comment here and would like to investigate this further. Please could you send us a direct message through one of our social media channels which can be found here with some further information.

Many thanks,
Sarah
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi @jmachin6,
I'm very sorry to read your comment here and would like to investigate this further. Please could you send us a direct message through one of our social media channels which can be found here with some further information.
Many thanks,
Sarah

ill message you but it'll make your eyes water! Its bad. There is a complaint 'under investigation' other than that no one says anything. Probably coming up with their defence this time they seriously ballsed up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending