The Student Room Group

Applying for first job in retail.

Hi!

I'm on a gap year at the moment, and I've been looking for work since September, but I've been unsuccessful so far. Where I live, there aren't many jobs anyway, and obviously most companies want someone with experience.

Well, today, I saw that there's a sales assistant vacancy at Claire's (the accessories shop) in my town, and I really really want to get it. I have to fill in an application form with an example of when I've received good customer service, when I've been given the responsibility for something important and why I want to work for the company, and I wondered if anyone could give me some specific advice?

I've never had a paid job before, but I've volunteered a lot backstage in amateur theatre groups, so I thought maybe about putting something to do with that? Really, I'm open to suggestions because I must've applied for 40+ jobs, and nothing has come of any of them.

Thank you!
Reply 1
what you need to remember is that you can lie on these forms because they never know whats true and whats not (within reason)

the theatre thing would be a good option, another one might be to say you helped out with a college/uni open day and helped organise the event from top to the bottom. working alongside students, parents and teachers to fit as a valuable cog in the school/uni system during that time. you would be suprised how well that goes down :P
To do with being given responsibility important, can you not link it to the theatre group you are part of? Something to do with setting up a show.

As to why you want this job, most managers I have worked with have said they prefer people to be honest and say they really need the money. If someone really needs the money, you can guarantee they will work hard and be prepared to do long shifts. The people who need the money will also be the ones willing to take on extra responsibility in the workplace :smile:
I'm applying for a retail job as well. I found out they do training on the job so it's good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending