The Student Room Group

PMS or Manchester medical school?

Hey,

I'm finding it really really difficult in choosing whether to go PMS or Manchester to study medicine. I hear good and bad things about both, so I'm not sure which one to firm. FYI, in case this helps I want to be a surgeon, so does one of them make this more likely to occur than the other?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeh some people say "If you want to be a surgeon don't go to Peninsula, as they don't teach anatomy"; sumit along those lines
Reply 2
Original post by SteveCrain
Yeh some people say "If you want to be a surgeon don't go to Peninsula, as they don't teach anatomy"; sumit along those lines

Thats what I heard as well. :confused:
Reply 3

Is this a joke?

To the OP, no it won't make the slightest of difference to whether you'll become a surgeon or not. Go to the city where you think you'd rather spend 5+ years of your life.
Reply 4
Original post by theatrical
Is this a joke?

To the OP, no it won't make the slightest of difference to whether you'll become a surgeon or not. Go to the city where you think you'd rather spend 5+ years of your life.

I Love both cities, I just wanted to know how the current medics find the courses, since I hear bad points as well as good points for both. Since your a manchester medic, how you finding pbl, the teaching as well as the exam (people say they are easy)?
Original post by Gowrav
Thats what I heard as well. :confused:

Well I've heard that although PMS doesn't do dissections or prosections, the surgical society at PMS organises dissections for students who are really keen on anatomy.
Reply 6
Is this a joke?

I don't know. You find it funny?
Reply 7
Original post by Gowrav
I Love both cities, I just wanted to know how the current medics find the courses, since I hear bad points as well as good points for both. Since your a manchester medic, how you finding pbl, the teaching as well as the exam (people say they are easy)?

The course at Manchester is fine. Teaching is good, especially in the clinical phase - we quite often get one-to-one consultant teaching or in groups no larger than 8. I expect the course at Peninsula is pretty similar being PBL.

Peninsula do teach anatomy, they just don't use dissection, which makes virtually no difference to the overall outcome, i.e. you just have to memorise it all from books regardless.

The exams aren't easy. You are assessed against the other people in your year group and so there are no fixed pass marks, i.e. the bottom xx% always fail. The same system is used at Peninsula as far as I know.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I don't know. You find it funny?

I thought it was ridiculous - does that count as funny?
Wish I didn't have to do anatomy...
Reply 10
The course at Manchester is fine. Teaching is good, especially in the clinical phase - we quite often get one-to-one consultant teaching or in groups no larger than 8. I expect the course at Peninsula is pretty similar being PBL.

Peninsula do teach anatomy, they just don't use dissection, which makes virtually no difference to the overall outcome, i.e. you just have to memorise it all from books regardless.

The exams aren't easy. You are assessed against the other people in your year group and so there are no fixed pass marks, i.e. the bottom xx% always fail. The same system is used at Peninsula as far as I know.

Ok thanks for that. How many exams do you get per year? Also is anatomy tested upon properly? Because some unis don't have exams exclusively for anatomy.
Original post by Gowrav
Ok thanks for that. How many exams do you get per year? Also is anatomy tested upon properly? Because some unis don't have exams exclusively for anatomy.

The number of exams varies in each year. In first year you do four 2.5 hour written exams and an OSCE.

Anatomy is examined in both the written exams and in the OSCE (2 stations of spotters)
Reply 12
The number of exams varies in each year. In first year you do four 2.5 hour written exams and an OSCE.

Anatomy is examined in both the written exams and in the OSCE (2 stations of spotters)

Ok. Thanks for all this!
Reply 13
I don't like the Manchester building :lol:
Reply 14
I thought it was ridiculous - does that count as funny?

Yes, I think so. Though I notice I didn't get positive rep....
I suppose you should go where you think you'd feel more welcome / you'd be able to adjust to more quickly.

Good luck :smile:
Yes, I think so. Though I notice I didn't get positive rep....

Unlucky.
Reply 17
Unlucky.

Did you know your name is an anagram for A Hitler Cat?
Is this a coincidence?
Original post by dmz
I don't like the Manchester building :lol:

Did you make any decisions on what you're doing to do next year?

I saw in the Glasgow thread you were thinking about Medical Engineering. Any more thought there?
Reply 19
Original post by TwilightKnight
Did you make any decisions on what you're doing to do next year?

I saw in the Glasgow thread you were thinking about Medical Engineering. Any more thought there?

Yer, going for a Masters in that at Leeds and then grad entry medicine, pretty much in uni next 8years if all goes to plan, :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending