The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

freaking hated the paper... a lot of my classmates found it horrible. but one of them managed to finish everything! he's a cambridge medic offer holder....
Shining*
That paper REALLY DID NOT test our knowledge of the spec!!

It took the mick!

Here I was, sitting in the exam for the first few pages, thinking, oh - wow, this is alright, not as bad as we thought - and then the soda lime stuff and eptopic stuff etc.. come up and I just die! :frown:

About the Bradykinins - is it something to do with the inflammatory response?

They BEST lower the boundaries - VERY VERY low! Or else...

Luckily i read that article quite a number of times..so i knew exactly where to find the bit relating to bradykinin.
I put that it is involved in the regulation of inflammation, local heat due to vasodilation and that it inhibits some pain signals so that it isnt too painful...but i jus googled it and i saw that it actually sends a pain signal...but i thought that if oestorgen blocked it and oestrogen was causing pain...then it maybe was involved in inhibitng some pain...sorely misled...:s-smilie:
Thy-Lanky-One
The only thing i could think of was that they were at different stages of development , i.e. seed would respire less than fully grown plant, whereas a larvae would respire less than insect etc therefore make it fairer by using organisms at same stage of development as seed/plant, can't even remember what i wrote for the second point :rolleyes:

yeah i wrote that as wel!!! except i wrote about them having different levels of 'maturity' which is obviously a whole load of bull****
Shining*
How did you find the paper?

I tot Q1,6,2 were pretty simple. :woo:
I may have made a few mistakes with that soda lime thing...about 4marks worth. :confused:
Q3 was oK i guess and Q5 was ok too maybe 5-6marks gone there.
Q7 was not that bad to me but it did kill up some time...but i had a good strategy i did Q7 first and Q1 last..maybe 5-6 marks from that ques gone.
Overall i thought it was challenging...i realised that if u didnt know just about everything on the syllabus u wudnt be gettin 80%...and i hate that the space is so limited..
ohsoverystressed
yeah i wrote that as wel!!! except i wrote about them having different levels of 'maturity' which is obviously a whole load of bull****

i wrote that that the experiment would have to be done at the same time to make sure abiotic factors were the same, and some bull about the levels of gas inside the est tube may have been good for respiration of one of the organisms but not the other which would have given non valid results.
i not sure if that will get any marks though?
markioe
i was not sure whether to write about protein synthesis, or the reason why more enzymes should be made... as in, those neurones were over-stimulated, thus needed more neurotransmitters etc.... At the end, in really small writting (Cos there wasn't enough flipping space) i quickly wrote, the enzymes are created on the ribosome via translation of the genetic material... would have written more, but no space... sigh

Thats 4 points down the drain

That's the problem with Edexcel A2 Biology, I've found. We're left guessing as to what exactly they are looking for, because, even if you know it you're unsure as to what angle you should be targetting it from. That and the LACK OF TIME. Grr.

Also, I noticed the mis-reference, I can't remember what the question was but I referred to the paragraph below it, I think.
Who's worried about not meeting their offers because of this paper then ?
zoolander0110
i wrote that that the experiment would have to be done at the same time to make sure abiotic factors were the same, and some bull about the levels of gas inside the est tube may have been good for respiration of one of the organisms but not the other which would have given non valid results.
i not sure if that will get any marks though?

Lets jus all hope for low grade boundaries maybe like a 50/90 or so...that wudnt be great tho cus that wud mean 50 wid be an A and 36 wud be an E...14marks btwn them..so if u know u got a mark below the grade boundary u have alot to fear....:frown:
Da_hopeful_1

me. i need an A but after that...... also the course work was really hard to know what they were sking for, so probably did bad in that aswell. also if you miss out by 1 or two marks, go far a remark. mine went up 6 marks in jan. also people who got over 100 ums out of the 120 still went up like 4. the highst someone went up was 9!! thats nearly a whole grade boundary.
Da_hopeful_1

LOL. me
Soda__Dreamer
LOL. me

me. and i want to do effing biology in uni
ohsoverystressed
me. and i want to do effing biology in uni

LOL. I want to do a biology related course too...biomed, but Edexcel have ruined my life
Reply 1172
AshesHaralsingh
Lets jus all hope for low grade boundaries maybe like a 50/90 or so...that wudnt be great tho cus that wud mean 50 wid be an A and 36 wud be an E...14marks btwn them..so if u know u got a mark below the grade boundary u have alot to fear....:frown:

Oh no no. It doesn't work that way.
If the grade boundaries went down, then the boundary for the E Grade would also go down.
Reply 1173
Da_hopeful_1

I am ='(
It turned out to be a rubbish paper, when i finally got to the article i thought FML!!!
:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Think positive :smile:
The paper was very doable till you got to question 7. You KNOW You did well up to question 7. You know that with new specifications the examiners each mark 10 papers and make notes on what students answered. Then they all meet up in a posh restaurant in central london and share the kind of answers they got. THEN they make a NEW mark scheme covering all the most common types of answers. This includes answers in the scientific article,, so even if we all wrote the same wrong things for question 7, the mark scheme will be adapted for us.

If a problem can be solved, then there's no need to worry; and if the problem can't be solved then worrying will do no good!
Chin up! Don't let this bring you down and ruin your summer :smile:
Edexcel are retards. This better not happen for the 6CHO5 exam as well. I would cryy :/
Laddergoat
:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Think positive :smile:
The paper was very doable till you got to question 7. You KNOW You did well up to question 7. You know that with new specifications the examiners each mark 10 papers and make notes on what students answered. Then they all meet up in a posh restaurant in central london and share the kind of answers they got. THEN they make a NEW mark scheme covering all the most common types of answers. This includes answers in the scientific article,, so even if we all wrote the same wrong things for question 7, the mark scheme will be adapted for us.

If a problem can be solved, then there's no need to worry; and if the problem can't be solved then worrying will do no good!
Chin up! Don't let this bring you down and ruin your summer :smile:

that was really optomistic. But i suppose you are right. No one really knows the answer until they do it.
Reply 1178
Ventricular ectopic beats may indicate heart disease, be induced by stimulation (e.g., stress, alcohol, caffeine, medication, cocaine, or amphetamines) or occur naturally. Over half the population have silent, or asymptomatic, ventricular ectopics.

Didn't the question which follow ectopic beats mention drug usage? Lol. I was tempted to mention some stimulant. But damaged AVN/SAN/collagen tissue are technically heart diseases. O_o
Ectopic beats question asked us to Describe and Explain. So even if we we only said that the QRS complex was inverted and there was no P-wave for the ectopic beat, leading to a skipped heart beat according to the second picture (forgot what it was called), I think that's 3/5 of the marking points. They gave us a whole page to blabber on about it so that question couldn't have gone too bad :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending