Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Unit 5: Energy, Exercise and Coordination

This unit is worth 40% of your A2 grade and 20% of your total A Level grade.

Content summary:
    • *ATP, glycolysis, anaerobic/aerobic respiration
      *control and functioning of heart; ventilation and cardiac output
      *homeostasis
      *the nervous system
      *impact of exercise on body, and improving performance
      *hormonal coordination
      *brain structure and development
      *imbalances in brain chemicals
      *Human Genome Project.

Assessment:
    This unit is assessed by means of a written examination paper, which lasts 1 hour 30 minutes.

Assessment information
    Assessment information
    [u]This unit is assessed by means of a written examination paper,which carries 90 marks, lasts 1 hour 30 minutes and will include:[u]
    • *objective questions
      *structured questions
      *short-answer questions
      >and will also cover:
      *How Science Works
      *practical-related questions.

One question will relate to a previously released scientific article that students will have studied during the course. Students may be asked to summarise the information in the article, and explain or comment upon the biology and other issues within the context of the article. The article may draw on knowledge and understanding from any of the four units 1, 2, 4 and 5. A different article will be provided each year and the examination questions will change to reflect this. This question carries a third of the marks of this unit.

Unit Description
    Unit Description:
    Topic 7: Run for your life
    This topic is centred on the physiological adaptations that enable animals and humans, particularly sports people, to undertake strenuous exercise. It explores the links between an animal’s physiology and its performance. The topic summarises the biochemical requirements for respiration and looks at the links between homeostasis, muscle physiology and performance. It ends by looking at how medical technology is enabling more people to participate in sport, and by raising the issue as to whether the use of performance-enhancing substances by athletes can be justified.

Topic 8: Grey matter
    The scene is set by considering how the working of the nervous system enables us to see. Brain imaging and the regions of the brain are considered. The topic also demonstrates how an understanding of brain structure and functioning is relevant to such issues as the response to stimuli, the development of vision and learning. It investigates how imbalances in brain chemicals may result in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease and its treatment with drugs are investigated. Students discuss the ethical issues raised by the Human Genome Project and the risks and benefits of using genetically modified organisms.

Resources:
    Specification
    Sample Paper , Scientific Article for Sample Paper
    6BI04+5 Notes
    Scientific Article for June 2010
    Old SNAB Unit 6 Article Past Paper Pack

Let us use this thread to discuss preparations & difficult problems and to analyse the scientific article. We can formulate glossaries and possible questions from the article and we can summarise important data as well.

Good luck guys! Let the discussion begin! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yea right......its time for the discussion of scientific article. This time its on Brain and nervous system!!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf June 2010 Scientific Article for 6BIO5 Biology.pdf (114.9 KB, 1176 views)

ReputationRep:
    The article could link to so many things from previous topics!
    Even the CHD stuff from topic 1.. I'm glad it's a third of the marks though, that takes a bit of pressure off topics 7 and 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvo_roy)
    Yea right......its time for the discussion of scientific article. This time its on Brain and nervous system!!

Sixteen freaking pages.

The main theme of the article seems to be based primarily on Unit 5 work =[ More specifically, as shuvo_roy pointed out, it focuses on the nervous system O_O

The article is divided into:
    It’s All in the Mind
    Dancing Worms and Deep Depression
    Stressed Out
    Pain and Gender

We can analyse each section and then sum up everything. I should point out that in the old SNAB syllabus, Unit 6 was the 'article paper'. I will upload a past paper pack with all the past Unit 6s I have.

ReputationRep:
    16 pages :sigh: :shoot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)

Sixteen freaking pages.

the article is 12 pages....come on why do you count the blank pages and make people nervous!! ...:shock:

ReputationRep:
    So when do we start summarising?

I get headaches from reading that thing :<

ReputationRep:
    so....when do we begin?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I am so glad that the article is worth a lot of marks... Could really bank on getting high marks for this section..

We seriously need to start getting a discussion going on this sooooon!

ReputationRep:
    hey can someone help me with the sample Unit6B paper ...the experiment...coconuts?......:\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    So when do we start summarising?

I get headaches from reading that thing :<
    :O Those revision notes! Have you finished the syllabus already?!

ReputationRep:
    No. I tried doing some nervous system today but I was too tired!

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow we are having mocks from unit 5 and 6B so studying :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightwalker123)
    hey can someone help me with the sample Unit6B paper ...the experiment...coconuts?......:\
    In short, you have to use a transect and the whole procedure and the variables to be controlled is surrounding vegetation, slope, light intensity...
    Then have to use the Spearman's rank correlation test in (d)

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue what you guys are talking about.. I feel like I'm not even taking this exam :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelikgrrl)
    In short, you have to use a transect and the whole procedure and the variables to be controlled is surrounding vegetation, slope, light intensity...
    Then have to use the Spearman's rank correlation test in (d)
    hmm.........wat about the prliminary experiments?......thnx btw

ReputationRep:
    hey can anyone explain me what's t-test?

ReputationRep:
    t-test is a statistical test that is applied to interval data. it can be applied to matched or idependant samples.
    criteria for t-test:
    1.samples are small(<30)
    2.the population or population of differences(matched) are normaly distributed.
    3.the standard deviation of the population is not known.

Eg. calculated t-value= 3.25 and the t-crit value (at 5% significance level)= 2.09.
    In this example the positive value ot t (3.25) is greater than the t-crit value(2.09) so reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternative hypothesis.

hope that clears your doubt mate.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the mark scheme to the june 2009 synoptic paper?

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know about statistical tests for unit 5? I used these in the coursework but that is it..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.