The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Hey there ladies and gents!
Sooo, anyone else thinking that this unit (5) is ridiculously hard compared to the others? IMO its like they've saved all the hardest stuff till last (which I know is the point as A2 is supposed to be harder) but theres not even a little bit of guess-as-you-go-along rubbish like evolution was :frown:
Anyway, at least its all really interesting, unlike other units!
What grades do you all want? I want an A/A* overall, got full marks in unit 4 in Jan, but my coursework was really rubbish so still need pretty amazing marks here :/

BTW, want to know something kinda funny? My raw marks in unit 4 in Jan were 64/90 or something; this equated to 120/120 ums. Anyone else think thats kinda stupid? Not that I'm complaining haha
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by emilylikeeee
Sooo, anyone else thinking that this unit (5) is ridiculously hard compared to the others? IMO its like they've saved all the hardest stuff till last (which I know is the point as A2 is supposed to be harder) but theres not even a little bit of guess-as-you-go-along rubbish like evolution was :frown:
What grades do you all want? I want an A/A* overall, got full marks in unit 4 in Jan, but my coursework was really rubbish so still need pretty amazing marks here :/

BTW, want to know something kinda funny? My raw marks in unit 4 in Jan were 64/90 or something; this equated to 120/120 ums. Anyone else think thats kinda stupid? Not that I'm complaining haha

Your UMS is how you stand against everyone else, so it's fair in that way as full UMS means you are in the top band compared to everyone else who took it.

I need an A overall anyway so going for that. A* would be a nice but not bothered really if I get it or not. Currently on 280 UMS, and yes my AS courswork let me down too :tongue:
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Your UMS is how you stand against everyone else, so it's fair in that way as full UMS means you are in the top band compared to everyone else who took it.

I need an A overall anyway so going for that. A* would be a nice but not bothered really if I get it or not. Currently on 280 UMS, and yes my AS courswork let me down too :tongue:

I know thats how it works, but still it seems ridiculous that really I only got 71% but get to say I got full marks :/

Wow thats cool :smile: I don't know my current UMS as I redid the AS coursework too, but so far out of 3 exams I've got 120, 120, 102... So some semi-decent coursework for both years and a good June exam should put me in okay stead :smile:

How are you finding unit 5?
I know thats how it works, but still it seems ridiculous that really I only got 71% but get to say I got full marks :/

Wow thats cool :smile: I don't know my current UMS as I redid the AS coursework too, but so far out of 3 exams I've got 120, 120, 102... So some semi-decent coursework for both years and a good June exam should put me in okay stead :smile:

How are you finding unit 5?

Haha lets leave well enough alone :tongue:

Our school didn't do Unit 4 in Jan so got two bio exams this exam season. Got 120 and 113 in Unit 1 and 2. The A2 coursework is a real bitch though. So much workk for just 60 UMS :mad:

I just started making notes for Unit 5 yesterday and only done the muscles stuff so far properly and found it alright. What about you?

Are you using the green Ann Fullick textbook or the revision guide or both?

EDIT: Just saw your sig, :five: for medicine :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Haha lets leave well enough alone :tongue:

Our school didn't do Unit 4 in Jan so got two bio exams this exam season. Got 120 and 113 in Unit 1 and 2. The A2 coursework is a real bitch though. So much workk for just 60 UMS :mad:

I just started making notes for Unit 5 yesterday and only done the muscles stuff so far properly and found it alright. What about you?

Are you using the green Ann Fullick textbook or the revision guide or both?

EDIT: Just saw your sig, :five: for medicine :biggrin:

:O thats nasty, two full on exams in June! Ouchy! Though tbh, sometimes the exams 'overlap' so some unit 4 knowledge will help you in unit 5 I'm sure, whereas we'll all have forgotten it. EG in unit 4 in Jan they put 5 marks in about structure of plant cell walls (unit 2 stuff) which was nasty :frown:
But wow you're doing awesomely! Is your chemistry going that well too?
Yeah that A2 coursework, don't get me started, I did a GCSE standard practical haha woops, but literally my school has no equipment and the was literally nothing else A level standard to do (even my teachers couldn't think of one) woopsy :biggrin: Lets hope my write up was spectacular :P

Ah yeah muscles, they aren't too bad... The respiration shiz is endless and annoying and the nervous system/brain bits are so so hard to get my head around :frown: Guess we'e just gotta memorize it really...

Nope I'm using the SNAB text book and the CPG revision guide mainly, though the SNAB book is so full of mistakes/typos its a joke...

Wow, yay, you med too? Where you going too?
:O thats nasty, two full on exams in June! Ouchy! Though tbh, sometimes the exams 'overlap' so some unit 4 knowledge will help you in unit 5 I'm sure, whereas we'll all have forgotten it. EG in unit 4 in Jan they put 5 marks in about structure of plant cell walls (unit 2 stuff) which was nasty :frown:
But wow you're doing awesomely! Is your chemistry going that well too?
Yeah that A2 coursework, don't get me started, I did a GCSE standard practical haha woops, but literally my school has no equipment and the was literally nothing else A level standard to do (even my teachers couldn't think of one) woopsy :biggrin: Lets hope my write up was spectacular :P

Ah yeah muscles, they aren't too bad... The respiration shiz is endless and annoying and the nervous system/brain bits are so so hard to get my head around :frown: Guess we'e just gotta memorize it really...

Nope I'm using the SNAB text book and the CPG revision guide mainly, though the SNAB book is so full of mistakes/typos its a joke...

Wow, yay, you med too? Where you going too?

That's mean that. Was it one massive 5 marker or lots of different questions here and there?

I don't think the complexity of the prac matters much. Everyone in my school who got an A last year, did zone of inhibitions on bacteria lol - so nothing too complex at all. I'm sure if the write up is good you should be fine for marks.

Just about to start respiration now - it was ok when we did it in class but it's been months and i've forgotten it all lol

Is it the orange snab book you mean?

And yeah potential medic here. Hopefully Leicester if I get the grades :smile:
That's mean that. Was it one massive 5 marker or lots of different questions here and there?

I don't think the complexity of the prac matters much. Everyone in my school who got an A last year, did zone of inhibitions on bacteria lol - so nothing too complex at all. I'm sure if the write up is good you should be fine for marks.

Just about to start respiration now - it was ok when we did it in class but it's been months and i've forgotten it all lol

Is it the orange snab book you mean?

And yeah potential medic here. Hopefully Leicester if I get the grades :smile:

2 1 mark questions, then a 3 marker on it I think...
Oh I hope so, mine was measuring juice produced by different concentration of pectinase, so very very basic!
Ah yeah thats the problem, getting it from short term memory to long term memory...
Yeah thats the one, the really wordy one that takes 3 paragraphs to make one point :tongue:
Wow congratulations for getting in :smile: Lets just say that Leicester didn't like the sound of me :tongue:
2 1 mark questions, then a 3 marker on it I think...
Oh I hope so, mine was measuring juice produced by different concentration of pectinase, so very very basic!
Ah yeah thats the problem, getting it from short term memory to long term memory...
Yeah thats the one, the really wordy one that takes 3 paragraphs to make one point :tongue:
Wow congratulations for getting in :smile: Lets just say that Leicester didn't like the sound of me :tongue:

Hmm will need to look at the past papers to see how synoptic they are.

I'm sure you will be fine. I think they want to see whether you analyse, explain and understand your results and that's where a lot of the marks are (research and rationale etc.)

Oh haha I used the AS version last year and hated it so much. It waffles so much lool

You applied Leicester too? Thanks and well done to you too. Hard luck for Leicester but you got a place for med which is really hard to get into. So yeah well done and just need the grades now :biggrin:

Although edexcel will try and stop that :colone:
Hmm will need to look at the past papers to see how synoptic they are.

I'm sure you will be fine. I think they want to see whether you analyse, explain and understand your results and that's where a lot of the marks are (research and rationale etc.)

Oh haha I used the AS version last year and hated it so much. It waffles so much lool

You applied Leicester too? Thanks and well done to you too. Hard luck for Leicester but you got a place for med which is really hard to get into. So yeah well done and just need the grades now :biggrin:

Although edexcel will try and stop that :colone:

Hope so :smile: What did you do both your courseworks on ?

Yeah I did, not even an interview... But I'm happy I got my first choice anyway, and even 1 offer for medicine in pretty fantastic tbh, so well done us :smile:

Yes indeed they will!
Hope so :smile: What did you do both your courseworks on ?

Yeah I did, not even an interview... But I'm happy I got my first choice anyway, and even 1 offer for medicine in pretty fantastic tbh, so well done us :smile:

Yes indeed they will!

My AS cw was on smoking and COPD. And the A2 one is on the effect of Amoxicillin on gram +ve and gram -ve bacteria.

If you got your 1st choice then the rest don't matter anyway :biggrin:
is looking for someone who lives in oxford and who is interested in tutoring me biology
Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5 andunit4
My AS cw was on smoking and COPD. And the A2 one is on the effect of Amoxicillin on gram +ve and gram -ve bacteria.

If you got your 1st choice then the rest don't matter anyway :biggrin:

Wow they sound good! And yes, thats exactly it :smile:
Reply 1392
hey guyz.............need help..................someone has SNAB A2 biology book..............can u upload/share it......................need it urgent
Reply 1393
does anyone has SNAB A2 biology book..................pls. share it................need asap
Reply 1394

how did u studied..............that's brillant marks.............which buk did u referred etc.....i need advice..fr biology in unit1 2 4and 5
Does anyone know what the mark scheme answer for the meaning of ''myogenic'' is? :smile:

I know it's that the heart contracts by itself without outside stimulation, but often with these definitions they want it worded in a particular way :colone:
has anyone got the jan 2011 edexcel bio paper please? :smile:
Reply 1397
no one is disusing about the article why is that ?
Reply 1398
Advance article:
- Gene therapy (topic 2/8)
- performance enhancing drugs(topic7)
- ethics with performance enhancing drugs (topic7)
- Slow/Fast twitch (topic 7)
- Aerobic and anaerobic respiration (topic 7)
- ECG(topic 7)
- Electrical impulse in heart (topic 7 & 8)
- ANIMAL TESTING benefits and ethics (mentions this alot) (topic 8)
- a bit about the nervous system and nerve impulses (topic8)
- Gene switching (topic3/7)
- they talked a bit about inheritance
- mutaions (topic 2)
- genetic code ( topic 2)
- They talked a bit about cells
Original post by Paolat
Advance article:
- Gene therapy (topic 2/8)
- performance enhancing drugs(topic7)
- ethics with performance enhancing drugs (topic7)
- Slow/Fast twitch (topic 7)
- Aerobic and anaerobic respiration (topic 7)
- ECG(topic 7)
- Electrical impulse in heart (topic 7 & 8)
- ANIMAL TESTING benefits and ethics (mentions this alot) (topic 8)
- a bit about the nervous system and nerve impulses (topic8)
- Gene switching (topic3/7)
- they talked a bit about inheritance
- mutaions (topic 2)
- genetic code ( topic 2)
- They talked a bit about cells

I also got:
-Gaseous Exchange
- Atherosclerosis (heart disease and strokes)

Great list though! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending