The Student Room Group

am i shallow/snobby?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest

No there is nothing wrong with wanting to date someone who shares similar thingmy jigs with you.
Original post by pippa90
So the person who designed and made this isn't educated or ambitious?

That is so amazing who's the artist???
Yes, you should get to know him and see if you like his personality and the fact you mentioned your education and what your family do kind of suggests you are..... why does it matter what your family do? For all you know he could come to own his own business with that skill, like many who have professional jobs now.
Original post by meilan990
That is so amazing who's the artist???

http://www.pabloreinoso.com/ :biggrin:
Reply 84
Original post by Young Spade
So you trained to be a teacher,big whop. I'm going to be a microbiologist and I wouldn't mind dating a teacher.

See what I did there? Getting over yourself, yea your snobby. Youractions alone and. the way you think makes you inferior to that man, making the assumption that he is a good person.

So couldn't get into medicine and find the hard sciences (Chem,physics,maths) too difficult :wink: joking... Have close friends who are microbiologists/virologists etc but no excuse to think that makes you better than teaching - who could well probably do what you do even better but decided to do something they find more rewarding and fulfilling than sitting in a lab and writing articles only a handful of people will bother reading.
Reply 85
a good carpenter can earn more money than a teacher - fyi
Original post by Anonymous
I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest

Wasn't Jesus a carpenter?
there is nothing wrong with wanting to date someone who also went to university and I don't kniw why everyone keeps hating on teachers
Me...both jobs suck and are not respected tbh

but at least he had the common sense not to waste so many years at uni...

going to university, and becoming a teacher!? Sounds like an awful waste of money.....
Snob, no. Wannabe snob, yes.

In reality, a carpenter actually has a higher earning potential than a teacher, if you're interested in that kind of thing- which I expect you are.

I have nothing against teachers. Equally, I have nothing against carpenters. Or builders. Or lawyers. Or doctors. Or plumbers. Or land owners. Or cleaners. You get the picture.
Reply 90
Original post by Mouldywart
So are your opinions of teachers based on your personal experiences with your sister? Perhaps you need to be less judgemental of those in the teaching profession and remember that it is very hard for anyone to do well in life without a decent education.

The idea that a child's success is entirely down to their own ability and parents means is, to be frank, bull****. I speak as a student myself when I say that the teachers aptitude pretty much makes or breaks the success of a class. I have been taught by good teachers who can explain, motivate and supply useful feedback that very obviously improve the grades of candidates and I have been taught by god awful teachers who do none of the above things. This has resulted in a class that should be getting mostly Bs and As getting mostly Ds and Cs. What you are saying certainly doesn't apply to my school nor any school nearby I have knowledge of so stop acting like you can tar all teachers with the same brush.

And I would also like you to acknowledge your hypocrisy in criticising someone else of being a snob for looking down on someone because of their profession and then proceeding to do exactly that yourself.

Good point - you're teacher has "coached" crap students up to a an A/B...

When you leave school - if you do a worthwhile profession its going to be lots of self-study and exams which are competitions where they fail the bottom 25%/50% at every sitting rather than give everyone a A********** to score on league tables.

This means if you are inherently thick or unable to do things yourself and need spoon-feeding, you will get sacked.

The mess of our education system is what stops social mobility - there is no way for students to prove they are the best because its all dumbed down to death.

Better education exists online than in any classroom.

-
Teachers are failures - they fail to get into a real profession - then go into teaching bleating on about how rewarding it is aged 25 - come 30 they are completely disillusioned and realise they are failures - come 40 they are completely irrelevant to the current crop of students so can't control them and come 50 - really they should have been sacked for being too old as they are useless. However they cling on until the death being completely rubbish at their job to up their pensions.
Oh dear.
Wow some carpenters are AHMAZING at their craft.

So yes, you're a snob.
Reply 93
As i carpenter myself! Yes you are a snobby person. Carpenters are skilled people with a more than average earnings.
Just because you dont have to go to uni doesn't mean it's not a good job. Takes years of practice after college.

Might be biased but i'd rather date a trademen than a teacher.

As a teacher you read answers from a book? - See what i did there?.

On a note, i thank everyone on here for sticking up for the carpenter!
(edited 13 years ago)
Why would him being a carpenter put you off :-|

Absolutely amazing:biggrin:
Original post by Guy Secretan
there is nothing wrong with wanting to date someone who also went to university and I don't kniw why everyone keeps hating on teachers

thats not really the problem, of course theres nothing wrong with dating people do have an educational background but its just quite appauling that OP is judging this guy by his job and saying that its off putting.

The teachers stuff, well my cousins are teachers so i understand the workload they have to go through so its not that easy. i think the reason why everyone hates teachers here is because they're some teachers (in the world out there) who do think theyre better than people who have non educational background and Op is being portrayed like that because of her post.

i think anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Finnx

Original post by Finnx
So couldn't get into medicine and find the hard sciences (Chem,physics,maths) too difficult :wink: joking... Have close friends who are microbiologists/virologists etc but no excuse to think that makes you better than teaching - who could well probably do what you do even better but decided to do something they find more rewarding and fulfilling than sitting in a lab and writing articles only a handful of people will bother reading.

Ah but they aren't the topic of this discussion now are they? We are discussing you and your beliefs about others and their overall worth, or lack thereof based on your idea of what makes them "good enough".

I don't know if you're the OP, so if you're not and this comment doesn't quite sstick, then disregard.

But I'm not here to brag, nor was my comment meant to be read that way. I was merely sstating that just because you think you're good or too good for other people to keep in mind that there aare a plethora of individuals out there (and here on this fforum as well) that are smarter than the both of us.

I, for one, love meeting people smarter than me or who ddo things better, it gives me something to work for, someone who I can ask for advice and help me better myself.
Jesus was a carpenter.

OP just turned down Jesus. I bet he's amazing in bed too.
Reply 99
Original post by davidr123
Ha ha ha!!!

those who can do, those who cant teach.

Frankly, you're an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending