The Student Room Group

24 hour drinking

what do you people think of the new law giving pubs and clubs 24 hour licenses?

i think in a way it is quite good as whenever i have been out in pubs i don;t normally go out till 9-9.30 anyway and then its one drink and last orders and then back home, its boring to go home by 12 on a saturday night if you don't fancy a club

so i think itll be nice to have somewhere else to go apart from rawing clubs as i don;t want to go clubbing all the time (chavs have taken them all over)

but in ways i think it could be quite bad as people who drink drive are going to be doing it all the time im not saying they don;t anyway but its a higher danger!!

i think that means that pubs and clubs should indeed serve meals for 3/4 of that time and serve coffee hot choclate and tea, so that their is something for everyone!!
but who is going to go for an alcoholic drink at 4-7am honestly apart from alcoholics maybe 24 hour is abit drastic i think they should at least be open untill 2-3 am the same time as clubs!!

anyone elses views??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have to say, I do agree with the government on this one. As someone with four years experience behind bars in pubs and clubs, I feel that there is something drastic that needs to change.
All of the clips we see on the news about binge drinking are never in clubs or pubs, but on the streets at kicking-out time. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, walking home through a Lord of the Flies type scene is my least favourite part of the night!
However, not too sure about the med-style drinking habits we are supposed to suddenly acquire. I think this may kick in with time, but it's more than likely it won't with our generation, and there will be some 'teething' problems as the police, hospitals, councils all adapt to the new system.
But, the bar I work in in the holidays already has a late license, being open til 1am (because we have live DJs). During the week, particularly, we very rarely tend to see examples of 'binge-drinking', and the weekends tend to be only slightly worse. I'm pretty sure this is because, firstly, people respond to the choice that is available to them in a responsible way (God, that makes me sound like a geek), secondly, we don't and have never done any drinks promotions and thirdly because we are bloody expensive (either £2.70 or £2.90 for a pint). We also have a strict policy when it comes to our lovable drunks - we never serve them! I've come to believe that the responsibility does not lie at the door of the licensing laws/govt, but the pubs and clubs. We have had meeting after meeting trying to implement a sensible policy and it really has worked. Well done to the government for trying to do the same thing!
Reply 2
I like it because i think i will drink the same ammount regardless of the ammount of time i have, so it will be more stretched out over a night. Also when everybody goes home will also be staggered so there wont be any leaving fights and so on.
Reply 3
barb24
I have to say, I do agree with the government on this one. As someone with four years experience behind bars in pubs and clubs, I feel that there is something drastic that needs to change...
...I've come to believe that the responsibility does not lie at the door of the licensing laws/govt, but the pubs and clubs. We have had meeting after meeting trying to implement a sensible policy and it really has worked. Well done to the government for trying to do the same thing!
Exactly. As someone else with four year's experience in bars I believe late licensing (IT'S NOT 24HR DRINKING DON'T BE ****ING STUPID) is the best solution to stop the rush before last orders. It gives bars the flexibility to open and close as early or late as they want, and it's advantageous to the consumer who can now stay out later and doesn't have to rush to get shitfaced and then fight after at closing time.
In hand with better policing in the evening and tighter sanctions on pubs which serially serve drunks, this policy should, in the long term, be a winner. AS barb24 wisely said, responsibility lies at the door of the licensee, not with the government. These laws are therefore a step in the right direction.
Reply 4
It'll certainly be more relaxed with the new 24-hour legislation, especially given that longer drinking hours will mean less intense alcohol consumption - this is what I believe leads to drunk and disorderly behaviour and violence. Also, considering that people are free to stay or leave when they wish, it'll mean that there'll be smaller concentrations of people arriving at or leaving places at a certain time - I know that crowded atmospheres lead to build-ups of tension which can lead to violence.

I think in the long-term this will have detrimental effects on the health service, but I don't think the police will have much to worry about after a while.
Reply 5
I will neg-rep anyone else who calls it 24 hour drinking. It is NOT 24hr drinking (it is extended licensing with the potential for 24hour opening for those who wish to know the correct term) and to call it 24 hour drinking is both idiotic and wrong.

I hope you all understand my frustration.

Let the debate continue....
Reply 6
[QUOTE="Carl"]

Let the debate continue....

in smaller writing hopefully.........
Reply 7
Howard
in smaller writing hopefully.........
sorry I needed to shout. Some people just don't get the message. The idea that the majority (or even a significant minority) of proprietors could afford to keep a bar open for 24hours is preposterous.
Reply 8
itl be good for next generation of drinkers too, they will grow up with a relxed veiw towards alchohol consumption rather then our generation
Reply 9
trigger
itl be good for next generation of drinkers too, they will grow up with a relxed veiw towards alchohol consumption rather then our generation

I doubt it. The Brits have a serious alcohol problem and no amout of screwing around with the licensing laws is going to significantly change that.

If you think that the average Brit is suddenly going to become an image of his French counterpart and enjoy a couple of glasses of wine rather than sink 8 pints of snakebite I think you're deluding yourself.
trigger

i agree, our society has this view that the day before your 18th you shouldent drink, have no knowlege of alcohol...then your birthday arrives and you go and drink irrisponsibly thow up etc...

i think more advice is needed when young on alcohol, simple facts such as "dont mix your drinks" "dont drink on an empty stomach" etc...as for many they dont know such basic advice.

I also think that low alcohol products such as lager, cider and wine should be available at age16, as there is a huge difference between buying a pint of lager and a bottle of vodka (which all become available on your 18th, like your suddenly responsible enough for it, but you wernt the night before when you fell to sleep!)

I think the new licencing will help stop the last orders rush, as there is only so much people can drink, and spend in a pub, so people will filter out before it gets to like 2am/3am anyway.

The previous last orders system never worked, everyone just used to go and get 2 drinks and down them anyway...they may as well have sat chatting for an extra hour with their drinks.
Reply 11
Howard
I doubt it. The Brits have a serious alcohol problem and no amout of screwing around with the licensing laws is going to significantly change that.

If you think that the average Brit is suddenly going to become an image of his French counterpart and enjoy a couple of glasses of wine rather than sink 8 pints of snakebite I think you're deluding yourself.
The French themselves hold no high ground on the alcohol consumption front....

as I said in hand with the extension bars are being forced to be more responsible in who and how much they serve. No-one seems to remember this....
Reply 12
Howard

im reffering to the "oh **** its 20 to 11" culture that we are all so fond of
well the laws have a good intention at heart but it might be the best, coz then people would have more reasons to get drunk,binge drink etc. whereas on the other hand u've got somewhere to go n just chill n u don't have to rush down so many drinks coz the pub's closing up.we'll have to wait and see though coz drinking in this country is like a culture,it's a part of life n it'd be very hard to get people to not drink themselves into a stupor...it was a good thought byt Tony Blair though i think.

Personally I think that as a tax payer and an adult I have the right to spend my money however I choose. I have a mum to tell me how to and how not to behave, not the government nannying me.

Also, working in behind bars in pubs and clubs you know you have the right, and legal responsibilty not to serve someone whos drunk so the staff are just as much as the problem.

Working in clubs where they have been open all night, on special occasions in the past myself, I noticed that people steadily left anyway....

much better than everyone still madly pissed being sheepherded out of a club at just gone 2am.
Reply 15
shylock30012001
well the laws have a good intention at heart but it might be the best, coz then people would have more reasons to get drunk,binge drink etc. whereas on the other hand u've got somewhere to go n just chill n u don't have to rush down so many drinks coz the pub's closing up.we'll have to wait and see though coz drinking in this country is like a culture,it's a part of life n it'd be very hard to get people to not drink themselves into a stupor...it was a good thought byt Tony Blair though i think.
gud poynt lyk bt cud u plz uze prpr splling n grmmer cos i cn't reed ur post.

Thank you...
Carl
gud poynt lyk bt cud u plz uze prpr splling n grmmer cos i cn't reed ur post.

Thank you...

no problem but then i couldn't read half of yours either lol (laugh out loud) :smile:
Reply 17
Ok, so the country is suffering records levels of Anti Social behaviour due to alcohol and many people are sufferring liver damage due to alcohol. So, what does the governement do? Announce a crackdown on Anti Social behaviour then allow late licensing with the potential for 24 hour drinking.
Well done Tony.
Reply 18
deej2
Ok, so the country is suffering records levels of Anti Social behaviour due to alcohol and many people are sufferring liver damage due to alcohol. So, what does the governement do? Announce a crackdown on Anti Social behaviour then allow late licensing with the potential for 24 hour drinking.
Well done Tony.

The argument they have is that the alcohol-based anti-social behaviour mainly comes about because so many people leave at the same time. So, logically, spreading them out will reduce the anti-social behaviour.
Reply 19
Carl
sorry I needed to shout. Some people just don't get the message. The idea that the majority (or even a significant minority) of proprietors could afford to keep a bar open for 24hours is preposterous.

heaps of them in Aus, but thats cos we handle our booze better *kidding, runs away*

Latest

Trending

Trending