The Student Room Group

sleep

hi guys, am in year 13 and I was wondering if i can make myself get used to 7/6. 5 hours of sleep, because I just don't have enough time to sleep more than that. I usually don't feel sleepy until the end of the day, but I drink lots of caffeine. Also if i sleep more than 7 hours I usually get lazy and end up sleeping more than I should, so what should i do ?
At your age you need 7-9 hours of sleep to function and for proper development. What are you doing that means you don't have time to get enough sleep? Sleep shouldn't usually be the first sacrifice for other things - even and especially school work, if that is the case, as it can do more harm than good.
Reply 2
You should get as much sleep as your body needs - if you are struggling on 7 hours, you clearly need more.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
hi guys, am in year 13 and I was wondering if i can make myself get used to 7/6. 5 hours of sleep, because I just don't have enough time to sleep more than that. I usually don't feel sleepy until the end of the day, but I drink lots of caffeine. Also if i sleep more than 7 hours I usually get lazy and end up sleeping more than I should, so what should i do ?

If you're currently not getting enough sleep and want to increase it you can only do it bit by bit. Try just an hour/half and hour more every couple of days until your body get used to your new rhythm. If you usually sleep 5 hours and one night sleep 8 instead, most of it won't be refreshing because your body will still have only had 5 hours of deep sleep like it's used to. If you build up to it you'll be able to get more hours of deep sleep which is healthier and will cut down on any tiredness you feel during the day.

Hope this made sense and can help in any way
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
At your age you need 7-9 hours of sleep to function and for proper development. What are you doing that means you don't have time to get enough sleep? Sleep shouldn't usually be the first sacrifice for other things - even and especially school work, if that is the case, as it can do more harm than good.

Hi I usually do school work because I end up wasting a lot of time throughout the day, but I will try to manage my time efficiently so i can get more sleep. Thank youu
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
You should get as much sleep as your body needs - if you are struggling on 7 hours, you clearly need more.

thankk youu i will take that in mind
Reply 6
Original post by Sandyfish
If you're currently not getting enough sleep and want to increase it you can only do it bit by bit. Try just an hour/half and hour more every couple of days until your body get used to your new rhythm. If you usually sleep 5 hours and one night sleep 8 instead, most of it won't be refreshing because your body will still have only had 5 hours of deep sleep like it's used to. If you build up to it you'll be able to get more hours of deep sleep which is healthier and will cut down on any tiredness you feel during the day.

Hope this made sense and can help in any way

Yes this makes sense thank youu
Reply 7
Well sleep is very much in the card for a better health and fitness , I think 6 to 7 hours of sleep is need for a good health ...
A lot of great advice from other people here, but I noticed you said you drink a lot of caffeine? I suggest you try cutting down on your caffeine as this can also disturb sleep. Try just cutting down on one or two coffee's (or whatever caffeinated drink) a day and try build up to the point where you can stop drinking these before 6. It will help you sleep much easier. I used to drink coffee just before I went to bed but since I've stopped drinking it before 6PM getting to sleep is much easier. There are also supplements you can find to help you get to sleep such as Kalms, or sleep patches, see if these help too!

I wish you the best of luck, from an insomniac, I know your struggles!

Quick Reply

Latest