The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Soton vs Bath vs Cardiff [mechanical engineering]

I cannot decide between these 3, so i need help. (got rejected from my other 2 choices)

Bath has the highest offer of all my offers (A*AA) which I am pretty sure I can get, yet I hear that the town is 'pretty but boring' - which puts me off.

Southampton sounds really nice with great night life, my offer is AAA but apparently the city is a bit grim and the first year halls are miles away.

Cardiff the social side looks amazing, and the place is really nice, but its my lowest offer and if I can achieve A*A*A (most likely can) then it feels stupid accepting my lowest offer of AAB. Also not too keen about living in Wales, I like the sun.

Help appreciated, bare in mind that the social side is very important to me :tongue:

thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Erm, first-year halls are actually really close to campus (apart from Bencraft and Archers Road) and you get a free bus from right outside halls to campus that runs every 15 minutes.

I genuinely love it here, as with any city there are parts that aren't quite as nice but you soon get used to where they are (and none of the students should really be venturing that way anyway).

Southampton also has immense prestige as an Engineering University for further employment - a couple of good mates of mine have just been given internships at Red Bull Racing having done the MechEng course here. :yy:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I'm in a bit of a similar dilemna. I'm from Bath and actually live 5m away from the campus and I wish I could have applied for languages but it's far too close! it is a pretty comfortable city to be in, the clubbing scene is alright actually, and bristol is just a ten minute train away and you won't have any trouble finding entertainment there either! But i'm caught between exeter and southampton and i'm thinking that exeter may be too much like bath for me and i can't decideeeeeee :s. Is Southampton really that grim? When I visited it was sunny and seemed nice but that might have just been the weather... Is the clubbing scene good? and Are things cheapish?
Reply 3
I'm a first year at Southampton at the moment doing Acoustical Engineering (we share a few modules with the Mech Eng folk) and I can tell you it's brilliant here.

There's no problem with halls being too far away as you get a free bus pass for the first year anyway, and the bus service is awesome. As for grim - well, it's a city! But there are actually a few really nice parks and commons around the place, I never realised what a nice-looking city it was till I lived here.

Nightlife is also top notch if you're into that, loooads of student clubs and prices are as cheap as up north most of the time. Basically you can't go wrong with this place, I could go on for hours! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Firmed Southampton :smile: Cardiff is insurance

Social aspect is a important to me, and too many people have said bath is pretty but boring.

Probably prefer bath to Cardiff, but it has higher entry requirements than soton so cannot really put it as my insurance :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending