The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Homosexuality encouraged?
*******s, I won't be happy with the educational system until we're properly encouraging a bit of man love. Lube, whips, the lot.

Gays use whips, right? I'm pretty sure that's what gay means. It means that they use whips.
Reply 141
Basically, when the BNP arent hating on ethnic minorities, they move to 'gay=paedophiles' and try and quote statistics about a higher rate of homosexual child abuse.
Original post by Theconomist
I really don't think a single person in the world is actually threatened by homosexuality.
What could they possibly be scared of?

Someone like this

smearing lipstick on them?

or

picking up their girlfriend.

Come on get real.

The only reason some people even care about gays is because of religion.
No religion no one would give a **** what others ****ed.

I don't know why people are threatened by it. However people are, friend of mine believes that homosexuality foretells the apocalypse. I'm not going to have a go at him for thinking that because I believe people should be able to do and think whatever they hell they want to think, regardless of whether or not it fits in with what the government wants you to think. Just in the same way that I don't have a go at my gay friends for being gay.
Reply 143
Original post by imperial maniac
I don't know why people are threatened by it. However people are, friend of mine believes that homosexuality foretells the apocalypse. I'm not going to have a go at him for thinking that because I believe people should be able to do and think whatever they hell they want to think, regardless of whether or not it fits in with what the government wants you to think. Just in the same way that I don't have a go at my gay friends for being gay.

I don't know how you define 'have a go at', but...

if my friend said something so incredibly stupid, I'd certainly explain what an idiot he was to him :wink:
Original post by LauriC
Cannibalism is normal yes. Many species do it, so there's point me arguing. It's only our society that tells us it's not acceptable as normal behaviour. There are other (human) societies where cannibalism is acceptated as normal behaviour. And who are you to judge whether that's okay or not, you have absolutely no concept of their society whatsoever.

And you think that by calling a homosexual person's lifestyle 'wrong' isn't abuse or harmful. I suspect that is someone said that something (that you didn't even have a choice in) was "wrong" and "unnatural" you would feel upset, no?

Cannibalism is not normal or socially acceptable, so saying that kinda undermines your argument, doesn't it?
Reply 145
Original post by lightburns
When you were at school, did you ever read a children's book? You may have noticed that the kids had 2 parents of opposite genders.

Would you think it was forcing it down their throats to have a character in a story who had two dads, or two mums?

Either the same rule for both (heterosexual and homosexual parents in books okay) or you should NEVER mention the parents in books at school.

That doesn't matter. When kids see opposite-gendered parents in a kids book, they don't think anything is odd. But when they see same-gendered parents, they are going to start questioning things they are too young to understand and lose a part of their childhood innocence.
Original post by BenjyK
Ditto, that shouldve been the end of the thread IMO :no:

The source and it's obvious bias doesn't undermine the question "Should homosexuality be actively encouraged in schools?" so no, that shouldn't have been the end of the thread because it's worth discussing.
Reply 147
Original post by tehFrance
How isn't it good :confused:

I'm just saying that just because the majority of people think it's good, doesn't automatically make it good.
Original post by dring
I don't know how you define 'have a go at', but...

if my friend said something so incredibly stupid, I'd certainly explain what an idiot he was to him :wink:

He's an evangelical Christian, nice guy, he just thinks that everyone except him is going to burn in hell for eternity, he's accepted it as fact and he can't be persuaded otherwise.

Believe me, I've tried.
Reply 149
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
So you think schools should completely deny the existence of heterosexual parents ...? :confused: Practically every story book that children read has a heterosexual couple in it, it's unavoidable. All that's happening is that some books are being introduced with gay couples in them.

This is nothing to do with sex. Why do people make the ridiculous assumption that by teaching children about different couples you're also teaching them about sex? This is about relationships, and has nothing to do with sex.

And yes schools should be places of learning, hence why we teach children that sometimes people have gay parents, so children know more about the wider world. Learning isn't just Maths, Science and English, but it's also PSHCE, and this is part of it.

Unavoidable or not, by his definition it's forcing heterosexuality down a child's throat, apparently.

Read the OP again. It is not simply telling children that "Sometimes, people have gay parents." It is propaganda in that the Stonewall campaign isn't there to simply inform, it's to coerce children and "sell" homosexuality to them. I especially find the following line disgraceful:

"Head teacher Garry Ratcliffe, of Oakfield Community Primary School, added that children should learn to be “resilient” to the values of their parents if they disagree over homosexual issues."

Who is this little **** to tell anyone's children that they should resist the values of their parents? If I have a kid, and raise them to e.g. have a burning hatred for trees, then I have every right to.

I see this as a case of liberalism gone too far. The same has happened with racism in our society. The government (I presume Stonewall have permission from the government) must overcompensate on everything. Instead of simply giving information to accept homosexuality, they must advertise homosexuality as the better alternative. Instead of eliminating racism, they must instead bring in counter-racism where white people are discriminated against (affirmative action).
(edited 13 years ago)
Ergh..
I don't understand what the OP means by 'encouraged', it shouldn't be discouraged in the first place. And it's not like educating children on homosexuality's going to turn them into a homo..

And right now in schools the word 'gay' ^is almost like a new swear word/curse. You drop a cookie in the cafe and it just slips out... 'that's so gay!!' it's just part ofthe way they talk now.. Heck even my gay friend even uses it in that context. -which kinda shows how out of hand it ^is..
Perhaps educating them might prevent/reduce people being so ignorant? Not much else can be done, really.
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Ergh..
I don't understand what the OP means by 'encouraged', it shouldn't be discouraged in the first place. And it's not like educating children on homosexuality's going to turn them into a homo..

And right now in schools the word 'gay' ^is almost like a new swear word/curse. You drop a cookie in the cafe and it just slips out... 'that's so gay!!' it's just part ofthe way they talk now.. Heck even my gay friend even uses it in that context. -which kinda shows how out of hand it ^is..
Perhaps educating them might prevent/reduce people being so ignorant? Not much else can be done, really.

But at 5 years old???

At 5 years old all I cared about was where my next bit of cake was coming from, surely it's confusing for a child to be taught about homosexuality so young?

I'd prefer it be taught with the sex education later on in a child's development.
Original post by imperial maniac
But at 5 years old???

At 5 years old all I cared about was where my next bit of cake was coming from, surely it's confusing for a child to be taught about homosexuality so young?

I'd prefer it be taught with the sex education later on in a child's development.

Yeah I agree that at 5 years old ^is a little early. So perhaps introducing it at a slightly earlier age would be less confusing :tongue:
You know what would make this problem go away? If they were taught to accept gay people from birth as just a normal part of their life. Just like they are taught to accept black people.
If I ever have children, they won't be taking part in this ****, no matter what some loony left government pc plagued bureaucrat says.

Soon, we'll have books trying to teach white boys to be black, and christians how to be muslim.

edit: perhaps if we didn't actually teach it in school, but parents taught/spoke about this type of thing, then perhaps we would have closer families and less 13 year old parents.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mathperson
If I ever have children, they won't be taking part in this ****, no matter what some loony left government pc plagued bureaucrat says.

Soon, we'll have books trying to teach white boys to be black, and christians how to be muslim.

edit: perhaps if we didn't actually teach it in school, but parents taught/spoke about this type of thing, then perhaps we would have closer families and less 13 year old parents.

What on earth are you on about? I'm pretty sure you'd have to be mentally ill to read these books and decide to be gay. I'm also pretty sure there are already books about being tolerant to Muslims and black people (or in your insane world, teaching you how to be one...).

I don't think it's particularly necessary though. I personally don't think there is much need to teach this except for special classes at the teachers discretion if homophobic bullying is detected.

Original post by cttp_ngaf
As the family unit is an important sub-division of society, I have to say that "the state", or the rest of society, could reasonably have a say in what is desirable or not. This has always happened and certainly does today, with particular promotion of single-parent families as a good and ideal arrangement. Back when m+f long-term parent couples were promoted and supported by the state and society, that was the norm. Now that many alternative setups and alternative lifestyles in general are promoted and encouraged, that kind of family is becoming rarer.

Since when has single parent families been promoted?

Why can't people get it into their heads that tolerance or acceptance does not equal promotion?
Original post by callum9999
Since when has single parent families been promoted?

For a few decades now, mostly since the 90's though.

Original post by callum9999
Why can't people get it into their heads that tolerance or acceptance does not equal promotion?

I really don't see the distinction. You can't teach one without the other.
It's part of life. People do not decide whether to be gay or straight and therefore I think people should be taught about it at an early age.
I also think it could help people become more tolerant towards it too as people wont grow up thinking it isn't normal or that it is weird. But people will be brought up knowing what it is to be gay, thats its okay and that its normal and not something to be scared or worried about.
Original post by cttp_ngaf
For a few decades now, mostly since the 90's though.

I really don't see the distinction. You can't teach one without the other.

How has it been promoted? You make no sense whatsoever. And providing a safety net for single parent families is in no way "promotion". Some homeless charities get government funding - does that mean the government promotes homelessness?

If you don't see the distinction you have a problem. Teaching tolerance makes no judgement on whether it's good/bad or something you should be doing. All it does is say "some people are like this, if you aren't the same - don't bully them". That is in no way saying you should join them.
Reply 159
Original post by Selkarn
Read the OP again. It is not simply telling children that "Sometimes, people have gay parents." It is propaganda in that the Stonewall campaign isn't there to simply inform, it's to coerce children and "sell" homosexuality to them. I especially find the following line disgraceful:

"Head teacher Garry Ratcliffe, of Oakfield Community Primary School, added that children should learn to be “resilient” to the values of their parents if they disagree over homosexual issues."

Who is this little **** to tell anyone's children that they should resist the values of their parents? If I have a kid, and raise them to e.g. have a burning hatred for trees, then I have every right to.

I see this as a case of liberalism gone too far. The same has happened with racism in our society. The government (I presume Stonewall have permission from the government) must overcompensate on everything. Instead of simply giving information to accept homosexuality, they must advertise homosexuality as the better alternative. Instead of eliminating racism, they must instead bring in counter-racism where white people are discriminated against (affirmative action).

Children are not extensions of their parents' private opinions. They are not property.
They will at some point (hopefully) become independent people, who ideally should be able to integrate into adult society, without pissing everyone off.

Teaching your kids to burn down the forests, beat gay people, or anything else along those lines is irresponsible and detrimental to society, just as if the parents did it themselves.
For that (and other) reasons I quite agree with encouraging children to think critically about what their parents are saying.

Stonewall are hardy saying that homosexuality is "better" merely that it exists and that there's nothing wrong with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending