The Student Room Group

Interview with Course Coordinator about First Year Results

Hi everybody,

I posted a while back asking for advice regarding my applications. In a nutshell:

- I failed my first year (average of 46...)
- Retook my first year and receive firsts on all retakes
- Came top of my year in my second year (average of 78)
- Am now at the end of my third year

I have finally received an answer from Imperial. The departmental secretary told me that the course coordinator wanted to phone me (weird seeing as I live in London and could easily go to London) to discuss my first year results.

I was just wondering whether I should be stressing out as much I am. Does this mean they are prepared to offer my a place but they are just confused at my transcript (as anyone would be I guess) and would like to just hear from me what happened? Or is this pretty much like a formal interview where how I respond to his questions will significantly impact the decision they make regarding my application?

All advice welcome !

On a funny note, I had an interview for the UCL CoMPLEX programme. I was asked why I didn't do so well on my Physics A-Level and no questions on my first university year ! Weird...
Reply 1
Original post by felixbr
Hi everybody,

I posted a while back asking for advice regarding my applications. In a nutshell:

I have finally received an answer from Imperial. The departmental secretary told me that the course coordinator wanted to phone me (weird seeing as I live in London and could easily go to London) to discuss my first year results.

I was just wondering whether I should be stressing out as much I am. Does this mean they are prepared to offer my a place but they are just confused at my transcript (as anyone would be I guess) and would like to just hear from me what happened? Or is this pretty much like a formal interview where how I respond to his questions will significantly impact the decision they make regarding my application?

All advice welcome !

On a funny note, I had an interview for the UCL CoMPLEX programme. I was asked why I didn't do so well on my Physics A-Level and no questions on my first university year ! Weird...

I wouldn't stress out about it too much. I had a very very similar question about aspects of my undergrad results; I was honest, and pointed to my subsequent success, and that seemed to work! Whilst the interview will probably make a difference and is pretty important, just remember that you're getting a chance to explain, and that the course coordinator is interested enough in your application to invest time in talking to you.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by interdict
I wouldn't stress out about it too much. I had a very very similar question about aspects of my undergrad results; I was honest, and pointed to my subsequent success, and that seemed to work! Whilst the interview will probably make a difference and is pretty important, just remember that you're getting a chance to explain, and that the course coordinator is interested enough in your application to invest time in talking to you.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for replying

That sounds quite reassuring. I guess I need to do as you said: be honest, point out how I learnt from my mistakes and how I have gone from strength to strenghth following that.

Was the question the subject of for your interview or was it just one of many questions asked in an interview?

I am really just hoping it's a matter of letting them know how commited I am etc.. Guess I might aswell prepare for it as any other interivew.

Thanks a lot,
FB
Reply 3
Original post by felixbr
Hi everybody,

All advice welcome !

I would not worry too much. When I applied for masters programmes last year, one university commentated positively on my progress from first year to second year; I did not fail my first year, but I did pretty dreadful. In addition, in a PGCE interview a few weeks ago the programme leader could not understand how someone who only got a D in English literature at GCSE could be the most qualified applicant they had on paper.

I would be honest, but I would not make excuses or put yourself down. Everyone makes mistakes, but I would not put yourself down because you did not manage to get straight As before you went to university. It is easy for universities in this situation to forget that most people do not even manage to get five good GCSEs never mind straight As.
Reply 4
Original post by felixbr

Was the question the subject of for your interview or was it just one of many questions asked in an interview?

FB

It was one of three, via email. The others were about my graduate degree and my research proposal (this was for a PhD).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending