The Student Room Group

MSc Conservation -Which shall i choose?

I have been accepted to do taught MSc courses at Exeter, Kent and Leeds and need help deciding which one I want to attend!

I want to do a PhD afterwards on mammals.

Please help me decide!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Do you have any particular mammals in mind for your PhD? I only ask because research on mammals at Exeter tends to focus on small mammals, such as mongooses and meerkats, also marine mammals. I would'nt let this put you of though as they have a very good standing in the research community, and you'd get to spend two weeks camping in Kenya.

I dont know much about Kent, only that each year they advertise a lot of conservation based PhD studentships. I have friends who are doing PhDs at both institutions and they as yet all seem fairly happy with their choices.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Ann-marie,

Thanks for replying!

I am primarily interested in large terrestrial mammals but small mammals are also cool.

Do you think (or did your friends find) that having completed a masters at one institute would give you good links to getting a good PhD - or more simply if I go to kent for example will I have a higher chance of gettin a PhD at Kent?

Do you think Leeds is off the table?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
It is generally easier to get a PhD in a particular department if you've previously studied there. At Exeter previous students only have to go to an informal interview with the potential supervisors, as opposed to two interviews and a presentation.

From my own experience I would say your previous research experience and sometimes the reputation of your last research institution are important factors that decide whether you get the chance to interview for a PhD. I know I have got certain interviews based on Exeter's research reputation, and many of last years MSc students hold PhD studentships at several universities, but I just don't know about the standing of the other two uni's you mention. It's quite early to be considering this, but maybe you could find some lecturers that you think you might like to do your Master's research with, and do some literature searches to see how often they publish work and if it gets into good journals!

If you have a chance to go to an open day and speak to previous/ current students I'd definitely go and ask lots of questions! I wish I could offer some better advice, but if you have any questions about Exeter I'd be happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending