Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    oh my god i have no idea what a start or stop codon is
    so how come that makes it 384 or 387 as well? surely that would make it 383 :/
    Well if it makes you feel better i do unit 5 biology and i hadn't heard the word start/stop codon till this unit. It's part of the unit 5 syllabus but certainly not unit 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    Well if it makes you feel better i do unit 5 biology and i hadn't heard the word start/stop codon till this unit. It's part of the unit 5 syllabus but certainly not unit 2.
    Oh that does make me feel better actually I guess they just have to allow it in case some people do know about start/stop codons. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Yeah same, I lost 20 marks in my mock and that was still 140 UMS :O
    wow thats really good

ReputationRep:
    what does intron mean it was on one of the mark schemes and i dont rememeber learning it at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilgangsta24)
    what does intron mean it was on one of the mark schemes and i dont rememeber learning it at all
    I chunk of DNA which doesn't code for amino acids/proteins

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me, but can anyone give me another link for the Biology Unit 2 2011 Past Paper.

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    I cannot unzip the file.

Any solutions peeps???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr XcX)
    I cannot unzip the file.

Any solutions peeps???
    Solution: email address... as i cant attach it due to exceeding limit! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadii)
    Solution: email address... as i cant attach it due to exceeding limit! :/
    Okay, I will PM you.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia.)
    Just about to begin to teach myself the whole of unit 2 as I hate this subject... wish me luck.
    The WHOLE unit? I basicly self taught it a month and I thought I was cutting it a bit fine...but a fews days??
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone wanna go through each question in past papers with me?!? D: need somebody to tell me to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Does anyone wanna go through each question in past papers with me?!? D: need somebody to tell me to work
    Work.

This should hopefully be ok [I'm trying to stay positive] Nervous for the exam

ReputationRep:
    What is a heirachy. Not sure how to word it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    What is a heirachy. Not sure how to word it.
    From what I remember from doing a past paper, a hierarchy is smaller groups within larger groups and there is no overlap - not a great definition, but it'll do hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introverted moron)
    From what I remember from doing a past paper, a hierarchy is smaller groups within larger groups and there is no overlap - not a great definition, but it'll do hopefully.
    Groups within larger groups with no overlap [2 marks]

ReputationRep:
    Question:

Explain the process of meiosis and how this can lead to genetic variation in gametes?

ReputationRep:
    Question:

Explain the process of meiosis and how this can lead to genetic variation in gametes?
    Meiosis
    -Involves 2 nuclear divisions.

1. First division/Meiosis 1
    Homologous chromosomes (pair of chromosomes-1 from mother one from father) pair up & their chromatids wrap around each other
    *Crossing over (leads to some genetic variation as alleles are swapped) & *Independent segregation (chromosomes pair up randomly also leads to variation).
    The homologous pairs then separate -one chromosome from each pair goes to one of the 2 daughter cells.

2. Second division/Meiosis 2
    Chromosomes (from 2 daughter cells) split into chromatids into 4 haploid cells (gametes).

Not sure if this is everything.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Question:

Genetic Variation
    -Independent segregation
    -Crossing Over

*Is random fusion of gametes one too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    Genetic Variation
    -Independent segregation
    -Crossing Over

*Is random fusion of gametes one too?
    Do you mean when the diploid parent cell produces haploid daughter cells which fuse giving 1/2 genes from each parent?
    If so yes.

ReputationRep:
    That comes after gametes, but if a question hints at genetic variation, it can't hurt to put it down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.