The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ??????????????????
Does anyone wanna go through each question in past papers with me?!? D: need somebody to tell me to work :frown:

Work.

This should hopefully be ok [I'm trying to stay positive] Nervous for the exam
What is a heirachy. Not sure how to word it.
What is a heirachy. Not sure how to word it.

From what I remember from doing a past paper, a hierarchy is smaller groups within larger groups and there is no overlap - not a great definition, but it'll do hopefully. :tongue:
Original post by Introverted moron
From what I remember from doing a past paper, a hierarchy is smaller groups within larger groups and there is no overlap - not a great definition, but it'll do hopefully. :tongue:

Groups within larger groups with no overlap [2 marks]
Reply 424
Question:

Explain the process of meiosis and how this can lead to genetic variation in gametes?
Reply 425
Original post by TlanTlan
Question:

Explain the process of meiosis and how this can lead to genetic variation in gametes?

Meiosis
-Involves 2 nuclear divisions.

1. First division/Meiosis 1
Homologous chromosomes (pair of chromosomes-1 from mother one from father) pair up & their chromatids wrap around each other
*Crossing over (leads to some genetic variation as alleles are swapped) & *Independent segregation (chromosomes pair up randomly also leads to variation).
The homologous pairs then separate -one chromosome from each pair goes to one of the 2 daughter cells.

2. Second division/Meiosis 2
Chromosomes (from 2 daughter cells) split into chromatids into 4 haploid cells (gametes).

Not sure if this is everything.. :/
Original post by TlanTlan
Question:

Genetic Variation
-Independent segregation
-Crossing Over

*Is random fusion of gametes one too?
Original post by LifeIsGood
Genetic Variation
-Independent segregation
-Crossing Over

*Is random fusion of gametes one too?

Do you mean when the diploid parent cell produces haploid daughter cells which fuse giving 1/2 genes from each parent?
If so yes.
Reply 428
That comes after gametes, but if a question hints at genetic variation, it can't hurt to put it down.
does any one have the january 2009 unit 2 paper cz itz nt on the website..many thanxx
Original post by romanika10
does any one have the january 2009 unit 2 paper cz itz nt on the website..many thanxx

There wasn't a Biol 2 in jan 09...the first Biol 2 on the new spec was not until June 09 :smile:

As for Jan 2011, can somebody please inbox me it :smile: thanks
Reply 431
It's on the first page of this thread if you haven't already seen.
Yea but it isn't working for me as a .zip on this laptop :frown:
Original post by georgia.
Just about to begin to teach myself the whole of unit 2 as I hate this subject... wish me luck.

I wish uuuu.... LUCK:wink:
Thank me later...:cool:
Original post by therapist_1
I wish uuuu.... LUCK:wink:
Thank me later...:cool:

Your username would be very disturbing if I didn't know you were doing biology.(trying to become a something therapist?)

On topic, are the exams more based on knowledge base or just giving educated suggestions? The past papers I'm doing are all suggest this suggest that not asking stuff like list 2 features of arteries ,for example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Your username would be very disturbing if I didn't know you were doing biology.(trying to become a something therapist?)

On topic, are the exams more based on knowledge base or just giving educated suggestions? The past papers I'm doing are all suggest this suggest that not asking stuff like list 2 features of arteries ,for example.

I feel that the exams are more HSW based and you have to be very good at interpreting data, there are one or two direct questions such as label or calculate.:cool:

by the way my username is two words first one being 'the -', you get it then you will smile...lol:colone:
Original post by therapist_1
I feel that the exams are more HSW based and you have to be very good at interpreting data, there are one or two direct questions such as label or calculate.:cool:

by the way my username is two words first one being 'the -', you get it then you will smile...lol:colone:

I hate those type of questions because you don't really learn about it?
Yeah I know... :colone:

Yup thats why I hate bio...just gona push my luck and see what I could do..I'm goin through all HSW from text book and past papers now..then I have to dosome C2 maths......mr brain is gona POP!! :banghead:

................. :colone::colone:

Just for talk... BLEACH is AWESOME!!!:cool:
Reply 439
Tommorow is:

Jan 11 Bio2
How science works
End of unit questions in nelson thornes again.
Maybe go over some exam style questions from other chapters.

Oh and C2 revision on top of that, oh happy days.

Kill me now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending