The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Silly question (I know) but I need to be sure...

We dont have to learn what MRSA stands for do we?
Just the example of the whole antibacterial resistance thingy, right?

no we don't :smile: specification says "Antibiotic resistance in terms of the difficulty of treating tuberculosis and MRSA"
Original post by lolo-x
oh my god i have no idea what a start or stop codon is :s-smilie:
so how come that makes it 384 or 387 as well? surely that would make it 383 :/

The stop and start codons are worth 3 bases each

so 381 + 3 or 6 = 384 or 387
Reply 402
The stop and start codons are worth 3 bases each

so 381 + 3 or 6 = 384 or 387

ok, thank you, so do all genes have start and stop codons? wouldn't you always add 6 then?
Original post by lolo-x
no we don't :smile: specification says "Antibiotic resistance in terms of the difficulty of treating tuberculosis and MRSA"

Good-o :smile:
I didnt fancy learning the extra long complicated words...

Haha, I answered your question as you answered mine!
(well I hope I answered it!) :tongue:

Original post by lolo-x
ok, thank you, so do all genes have start and stop codons? wouldn't you always add 6 then?

Uuumm... dont know about that, I think different people are taught slightly different things so that why the mark scheme you were looking at allowed 3 different answers.
Just stick to the way you are doing it and it should be fine :smile:
Reply 404
Good-o :smile:
I didnt fancy learning the extra long complicated words...

Haha, I answered your question as you answered mine!
(well I hope I answered it!) :tongue:

Uuumm... dont know about that, I think different people are taught slightly different things so that why the mark scheme you were looking at allowed 3 different answers.
Just stick to the way you are doing it and it should be fine :smile:

no, me neither lol :smile: i've lost the will to live a bit revision wise, i've decided to make notes using the specification now.. probably should have done that already haha

ah good, thank you :smile: good luck on thursday!
Reply 405
Just about to begin to teach myself the whole of unit 2 as I hate this subject... wish me luck.
Original post by lolo-x
no, me neither lol :smile: i've lost the will to live a bit revision wise, i've decided to make notes using the specification now.. probably should have done that already haha

ah good, thank you :smile: good luck on thursday!

Same.. kind of looking forward to the exam in a weird way (just so the intense revision will be over!! )

Haha, I havent even made notes from the spec! My bad...
Just going through the textbook hoping something goes in! :tongue:

Good luck for Thursday too! :smile:
Reply 407
Same.. kind of looking forward to the exam in a weird way (just so the intense revision will be over!! )

Haha, I havent even made notes from the spec! My bad...
Just going through the textbook hoping something goes in! :tongue:

Good luck for Thursday too! :smile:

i am too lol :smile:
oh i wouldn't worry if you have a textbook haha, i don't have one though so thought i'd best get some structure to my revision going, i don't want anything filling up my head that we don't actually need to know!
Worried about this, was confident on the last one for an A and ended up with a B. By no means bad, but I really want that A, does anyone have any predictions on what's going to come up? :smile:
Reply 409
Original post by lolo-x
oh my god i have no idea what a start or stop codon is :s-smilie:
so how come that makes it 384 or 387 as well? surely that would make it 383 :/

Well if it makes you feel better i do unit 5 biology and i hadn't heard the word start/stop codon till this unit. It's part of the unit 5 syllabus but certainly not unit 2.
Reply 410
Original post by TlanTlan
Well if it makes you feel better i do unit 5 biology and i hadn't heard the word start/stop codon till this unit. It's part of the unit 5 syllabus but certainly not unit 2.

Oh that does make me feel better actually :smile: I guess they just have to allow it in case some people do know about start/stop codons. Thank you
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah same, I lost 20 marks in my mock and that was still 140 UMS :O

:biggrin: wow thats really good
what does intron mean it was on one of the mark schemes and i dont rememeber learning it at all
Reply 413
Original post by lilgangsta24
what does intron mean it was on one of the mark schemes and i dont rememeber learning it at all

I chunk of DNA which doesn't code for amino acids/proteins :smile:
Reply 414
Excuse me, but can anyone give me another link for the Biology Unit 2 2011 Past Paper.

Thank you, :smile:
Reply 415
I cannot unzip the file.

Any solutions peeps???
Reply 416
Original post by Mr XcX

Original post by Mr XcX
I cannot unzip the file.

Any solutions peeps???

Solution: email address... as i cant attach it due to exceeding limit! :/
Reply 417
Original post by Sadii
Solution: email address... as i cant attach it due to exceeding limit! :/

Okay, I will PM you.

Thanks.
Original post by georgia.
Just about to begin to teach myself the whole of unit 2 as I hate this subject... wish me luck.

The WHOLE unit? I basicly self taught it a month and I thought I was cutting it a bit fine...but a fews days??
Good luck! :smile:
Does anyone wanna go through each question in past papers with me?!? D: need somebody to tell me to work :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending