The Student Room Group

More than one person going university...

Me and my sister are starting university this year and would this entitle me and/or my sister to a larger student loan?
No. Why would it?
What?? How'd you work that one out?
Reply 3
No it didn't for me and my brother. Not that I thought it would anyway...
Reply 4
In all fairness to the question, what used to happen in the past (I believe it might have been discontinued, though correct me if I'm wrong) is that your parents collective income would be split in half and it was this wage that was assessed as to the amount of student loan/grant you received, rather than your parents total income. The rationale being that the parents are having to fund two students through uni, rather than one, and hence wouldn't be able to afford as much as the parents that only had one going.
Reply 5
Oddly enough, my twin sister did get more financial support last year by about £200 for some bizarre reason, despite having the same circumstances. The only reason we could think of was she was going to Manchester, I was going to Loughborough.
Reply 6
Original post by chaz1992
Me and my sister are starting university this year and would this entitle me and/or my sister to a larger student loan?

Me and my sis are both going this year and my mum started last year. None of us are entitled to anything extra.

Sorry chaz.
Reply 7
Oh ok. It was just that our teacher was talking about circumstances in which you get more financial help and she said if more than one people in your household go, you'll be entitled to extra financial help.
Original post by Phobia27
Oddly enough, my twin sister did get more financial support last year by about £200 for some bizarre reason, despite having the same circumstances. The only reason we could think of was she was going to Manchester, I was going to Loughborough.

That makes no sense. If she went to UCL and you went to Loughborough, she would be expected to get more ... but going to different but non-London unis with the same circumstances, it should be the same.

I blame SFE, they do make mistakes. :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by TheSownRose
That makes no sense. If she went to UCL and you went to Loughborough, she would be expected to get more ... but going to different but non-London unis with the same circumstances, it should be the same.

I blame SFE, they do make mistakes. :wink:

We thought the same thing last year, but they have done the same again this year, she is getting about £250 more than me. Oh well, it's £250 more loan not grant, so ultimately she will just have to pay more back, plus whenever she boasts about it I remind her I'm getting more bursary from Loughborough than she is from Manchester :ahee:
Original post by Phobia27
We thought the same thing last year, but they have done the same again this year, she is getting about £250 more than me. Oh well, it's £250 more loan not grant, so ultimately she will just have to pay more back, plus whenever she boasts about it I remind her I'm getting more bursary from Loughborough than she is from Manchester :ahee:

SFE obviously love your sister more - sorry you had to hear it from a stranger. :frown:
I don't think so. Which is obviously quite silly, but that's just the way student finance is.
Reply 12
my twin brothers are at uni and we will all get slightly more loan according to the man on the end of the phone at the student loan company, when i go in sept ............ one of my brothers get s £200 more ...........cos he's nearer London .............my mum's a single parent on low income .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending