The Student Room Group

How to remember the things I have revised?

Hey,
I have a problem when it comes to remembering the things I revised. This occurs when I revise for a particular unit e.g I do some revision for AQA Business unit 2, but if I was to remember what I have revised 2 weeks later, I would forget over 50% of the things I have revised :frown: I usually read off a book and write down the key information on a paper and keep going over it, but I still forget! :frown:

Does anyone have any tips for me to help sort this problem and help me out? Like what methods could I use to help me remember? I was thinking of doing like a 15 minute recap the following day of everything I have revised for the previous day during the easter holidays as it would help me more likely to remember the things I revised at a later date. Do you think this is a good idea? If not could other students who have good methods of remembering things what they have revised for please kindly give me some tips and advice? :smile:

Thank You.
saying the information out loud helps
simple recall after you revised in your breaks could help too
Reply 2
Original post by The Polar Dude
saying the information out loud helps
simple recall after you revised in your breaks could help too

Thanks, I will be trying out your methods, most notably saying out the information loud :P
Repetition always works? Write down things till you get it off by heart then revise it everyday so it's fresh in your mind :smile:
Reply 4

I always re-revise like soft revision every couple of days so it stays fresh in my mind.
Reply 5
Just write it down and keep on writing it down again and again until you remember it. That never ever fails.

It's idiotproof.

It's truly the key to exam success in my experience.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I sing songs, dance, draw pictures, make hand gestures. It helps a lot I got an A* In that exam :smile:
Reply 7
There's two approaches with, perhaps, compromises in between:

There's the one where people find patterns and use trivial methods to remember them such as songs, poems and whatnot.

Then there's the intensive one where you just read & write, read & write and read & write, etc. etc. etc... (my preferred way, more efficient than the top one considering the vast selection of subjects I have to learn)
I'd always forget things in maths, so I started doing an exam question on that topic every week whilst I was revising the other chapters (then just carried on, so eventually doing a whole paper every week, sort of thing), so I don't really have the chance to forget it, maybe you could try that?
Go over it aloud until you have it memorised and can say it without looking (whatever it is you wanna remember). Then say a few more times. Break and do something else. Repeat later in the day.

worked for me :smile:
Two things:
-1) Breaking down the topics into mini sub topics, and literally going over each sub topic until you (if this is an arts subject) virtually know if off by heart.
2) Making sure you spend some time each day going over notes you've made.
Well what I do for my organic chemistry revision is write out all the reactions I revised throughout the day, at the end of the day. And then see if I still know them the next morning. It seems to work... So you could try the same with all the key words and definitions you need to know.
1) Summarise your text book into condensed notes - avoid all waffle
2) Learn these notes
3) After every couple of pages you learn, rewrite it without looking
4) Check you got it correct (if not learn what you didn't)
5) Continue this learning until you have learnt and rewritten all your condensed notes
6) Write out your textbook in about a page of just key words etc.
7) WIN!

Quick Reply

Latest