The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My interview was at Trinity, Ms. Merret and Professor Gray, for Law. I think it went pretty well. I was even able to crack a couple jokes :p: . Not too sure how to judge it really. They did say 'good' or 'excellent' to certian things I said. At times they did have to promt me. Not too sure if that's good or bad. Overall though I'm happy with how it went. If I get in, I get in..if not gotta move on. :biggrin:
Reply 21
College: Sidney Sussex
Course: L100 Economics
How Was It?: the first was ok... but the 2nd .... wow~ he disrupted my flow frequently... and ask a new subquestion.. like... what is xxx; what is yyy ....
dont know how it went...
nevermind... i had good fun anyway.. walked around the city... ppl were nice... so it's ok eventhough if i can't get in.
Reply 22
College: Pembroke
Course: SPS
How was it? well there were 3 interviews, the first one with the DoS i dont think went that well since we got into a couple of arguments, and in the end he made a comment saying ''good, very good, for a fairly bad day''. If anyone has any suggestions about what this might mean, feel free to tell hehe. The 2nd one was very interesting and fun and i think i did pretty well, as in the 3rd one. Anyone knows how they decide if there are 3 interviews? Do they take the average of them all, or...?
Reply 23
College - Newnham
Course- Law
Interviewers - Dr Perreau- Saussine and Dr Seville.

First interview on random text was hard, and i got a few things mixed up and a few uncomfortable pauses (i actually think i whimpered after one question!)
The woman was okay, not evil like i expected and she seemed pretty understanding about my nerves, which had even caused a strange rash to emerge upon my chin!!! :eek:

Second interview was much better, Dr Seville was lovely and we had a good discussion on random legal issues etc for 45 mins. :redface:

If you still have your interview to come, try not to worry, it's not so bad!!! :wink:
Also, pay no attention to the people who say "They reject you if you aren't sat in a certain way and if you shake their hand weakly"... :mad:
Reply 24
musicbloke
Paul Wingfield is at Trinity, Ice Cube applied to Emma so I assume he was interviewed by Susan Rankin.

MB

Yup, and I'm so pleased to say all my interviewers were all lovely.
Reply 25
musicbloke
Paul Wingfield is at Trinity, Ice Cube applied to Emma so I assume he was interviewed by Susan Rankin.
I thought you meant Ice Cube for a second there. I was all excited...

(Disclaimer: This post in no way implies I like rap. Because I don't)
Reply 26
leannemann
College: Girton
Course: MML (French & Spanish)
How was it? Well, I firstly missed the admissions test which I was supposed to do last night and so ended up doing this morning. I thought my general interview went well although it wasn't too general but I really enjoyed it. My French one went really well, I had a passage from Baudelaire which I understood and interpreted well. Also got asked some questions about Le Grand Meaulnes. Spanish was totally totally crap. I was fine talking about the literature I've read but then he got me talking in Spanish about a passage which seemed to have two themes. I understood the themes but was totally out of my depth when he started asking me to define feminist literature.
So, if they don't reject me for accidentally missing the admissions test, then they will reject me for my crap Spanish! Luckily I already have some offers :smile:

hey leannman,

what did you think of Girton? btw? The students there etc.?
Reply 27
College: Clare
Subject: Engineering

How'd It Go?
Awful. I fluffed up quite a few times, tho it didn't go horrendously bad, i don't think I really shone much, or showed much more than just enthusiasm. Plus the american interviewer was very odd, made me feel extremely unsteady. And my TSA probs could have been better.
So, I'm realistically waiting for my rejection, at least i did my best.
My interview was yesterday it well so bad, and now reading how other peoples interviews went has made me feel worse about my own, we didnt argue anything interesting, it didnt feel like a tutorial, and in my last interview i didnt understand the question and he had to repeat it 3 times for me,,, i still didnt answer it well. I feel so depressed , and dreading getting that rejection letter already :frown:
Reply 29
**noooni**
My interview was yesterday it well so bad, and now reading how other peoples interviews went has made me feel worse about my own, we didnt argue anything interesting, it didnt feel like a tutorial, and in my last interview i didnt understand the question and he had to repeat it 3 times for me,,, i still didnt answer it well. I feel so depressed , and dreading getting that rejection letter already :frown:

I am not pitying here for you, as I've had similar things, though not a letter awaiting from Cambridge, but that must be awful, when you get the letter, i'd ask someone else to read it in their head as rejection letters are often condescending (personal experience of a cousin who went to cambridge and another to oxford), that way, you'll get turned down in the nicest possible way- and if it's an offer, then that's fine.
No i will have to read it myself, everyone else would be to slow, I had my sister read out my AS grades this summer for me over the phone, and she went through all the module scores first, and i was like 'Just Read The Grade!!" - it makes me more nervous
Aired
One of them was Dr Carrington, and I can't actually remember the other man's name :redface:

One was a plant scientist and the other was a physiologist...

Hello! Were you actually interviewed by Dr. Carrington becuase I thought it was supposed to be Dr Johnstone and Dr. Matthews interviewing (I know this because I'm a third year natsci at John's and because I volunteered to talk to interview applicants in the JCR yesterday)? Did I meet you? I was in the JCR all morning so might have done if you had a morning interview?
Reply 32
tiggerishon
Hello! Were you actually interviewed by Dr. Carrington becuase I thought it was supposed to be Dr Johnstone and Dr. Matthews interviewing (I know this because I'm a third year natsci at John's and because I volunteered to talk to interview applicants in the JCR yesterday)? Did I meet you? I was in the JCR all morning so might have done if you had a morning interview?

I think it was Dr Carrington, the name Dr Johnstone doesn't sound familiar.

I didn't go in the JCR so I probably didn't see you :P
Reply 33
College: St John's
Course: Law
How was it? I think it went well. My first interview was the general interview which was very relaxed. It was just talking about me and my school, also, the two people taking the interview were super friendly. Not much to say about it really.

My second interview was with two law fellows (again, who were really nice) and we just went straight into legal scenarios. I think I handled them well, I have a couple of 'very good' 'exactly' 'yes, thats right' from them, so I think it went positively. However, my GCSE grades are not fantastic (4A* 5A & C) and my AS grades could be better (aaab (the b was 8 ums off an a)), so I guess it is just up to whether they put more weighting on the interview or my academic achievements. Good luck to all other people who applied to law (not too much luck though, I need some :wink:)
Aired
I think it was Dr Carrington, the name Dr Johnstone doesn't sound familiar.

I didn't go in the JCR so I probably didn't see you :P

Okie dokes, well- good luck!
Richy Rich$$
Was your Spanish interviewer Dr Davis?
It was indeed.
Reply 36
leannemann
College: Girton
Course: MML (French & Spanish)
How was it? Well, I firstly missed the admissions test which I was supposed to do last night and so ended up doing this morning. I thought my general interview went well although it wasn't too general but I really enjoyed it. My French one went really well, I had a passage from Baudelaire which I understood and interpreted well. Also got asked some questions about Le Grand Meaulnes. Spanish was totally totally crap. I was fine talking about the literature I've read but then he got me talking in Spanish about a passage which seemed to have two themes. I understood the themes but was totally out of my depth when he started asking me to define feminist literature.
So, if they don't reject me for accidentally missing the admissions test, then they will reject me for my crap Spanish! Luckily I already have some offers :smile:

LOL my friend mentioned a girl at girton who had missed her written test cos she'd gone to wrong library! that was you??!
rich_
hey leannman,

what did you think of Girton? btw? The students there etc.?

I loved it, students were really helpful and especially nice when they had to tell me I couldn't sit the test! I think it's a really beautiful college but ifyou're not too good on a bike then I can see why you might not choose it!

--------------

Suganthi
LOL my friend mentioned a girl at girton who had missed her written test cos she'd gone to wrong library! that was you??!

No, well it might have been. I didn't go to the wrong library, I didn't get to the college on time!
College: Robinson
Course: Natural Sciences (Physical)
How was it? Alright. Better than I expected. The subject test was pretty nice. Better than the trinity one anyway.
General interview was good. Got asked about areas of physics I liked. Why Natsci? Why cambridge? What would you do if all science departments were to shut down in UK? General stuff about personal statement. I was reassured by her that it was just a getting to know session. No right or wrong answer. :smile:
Subject interview was quite nice. The bulk of the interview was on capacitors (which i hadn't done so they were leniant and prompted me in places). Stuff on circuit symbols and a bit of organic chemistry.

I'm not expecting an offer (but one would be nice!) but on a positive note, I enjoyed the experience and will never forget it. :smile:
I had an english interview at Queens' College yesterday and i was surprised at how short it was! it was about 25 minutes long (i dont even have 2 interviews) and i wasnt really asked about anything extra-curricular or anything about extra reading, except the unseen poem. Actually i was given a poem which I already knew (Tennyson's The Eagle) and since they asked if i did know it, I was honest. So I got "The Fish" which i discovered afterwards was Yeats...i think it was ok but i should've analysed the language much more closely, argh!

i was disappointed with the brevity of the interview and the fact that i couldn't really show off my english skills due to the narrow questions (all relating to the course). some of the questions were a little odd as well. one of the interviewers asked me if i went fishing (having been through the poem), but his tone made it sound like a really interviewy kind of question so my reaction was a bit retarded, like er what?

basically, i'm not confident about getting in at all, and its a real shame cos i liked my interviewers and the atmosphere of queens'.

all that last minute extra reading...for nothing!

Latest

Trending

Trending