The Student Room Group

Personality disorder?

Hi guys.

I think my brother has serious personality disorder, because he never has a positive comment to say about anybody or anything and is always stuck up in his room. He is very like Esther out of the Bell Jar, supposedly intelligent but does'nt act it. He is always boasting about "when I do this" and "when I do that", and acts like it's him against the world, always refering to others as "them". Very abstract, when he is having a discussion with you and he's repeating over and over like some mental case " I'll show them". Er, who, mate? :confused: All I have to do to get him really angry, till he starts muttering incessantly to himself and thrashing about clumsily is call him a "mong" when he comes out with an idiotic statement, because he thinks he's better than everyone else and therefore can't be a "mong". He takes it very literally. I try to avoid conversation with him because I know he isn't normal, but he just goes on and on. In the past I would have lost my temper and hit him but I am more mature than that.

The ironic thing is, he isn't all that special like he claims to be. His confidence is low,(he's applying to "average" unis, whereas I am applying to Russel Groups), and the other night he physically wrote a calender and worked out the days till he goes to university. His phrase his "when I am in university", he thinks that will be the escapism from me, our family and our friends, but in reality that's isolating himself for no reason. He thinks that his music choice makes him more elite then any other person. Everything he does is superlative but anything any other person does is rubbish. All our mutual friends have disowned him because of the annoying things he does, he thinks that it does'nt matter because we're all the same and he "does'nt need people like us" That smacks of somone that can't accept that their attitude and personality renders them to be in the wrong, solely and squarely.... Once he starts going on with himself it's so hard to stop him. I just need to know your opinions of his personality, is it normal to do the things he does? I just need to make him realise that his personality needs changing if he is to get anywhere in life, I am sick of having slanging matches with him because he does'nt know what fair and equal topic management is.

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys.

I think my brother has serious personality disorder, because he never has a positive comment to say about anybody or anything and is always stuck up in his room. He is very like Esther out of the Bell Jar, supposedly intelligent but does'nt act it. He is always boasting about "when I do this" and "when I do that", and acts like it's him against the world, always refering to others as "them". Very abstract, when he is having a discussion with you and he's repeating over and over like some mental case " I'll show them". Er, who, mate? :confused: All I have to do to get him really angry, till he starts muttering incessantly to himself and thrashing about clumsily is call him a "mong" when he comes out with an idiotic statement, because he thinks he's better than everyone else and therefore can't be a "mong". He takes it very literally. I try to avoid conversation with him because I know he isn't normal, but he just goes on and on. In the past I would have lost my temper and hit him but I am more mature than that.

The ironic thing is, he isn't all that special like he claims to be. His confidence is low,(he's applying to "average" unis, whereas I am applying to Russel Groups), and the other night he physically wrote a calender and worked out the days till he goes to university. His phrase his "when I am in university", he thinks that will be the escapism from me, our family and our friends, but in reality that's isolating himself for no reason. He thinks that his music choice makes him more elite then any other person. Everything he does is superlative but anything any other person does is rubbish. All our mutual friends have disowned him because of the annoying things he does, he thinks that it does'nt matter because we're all the same and he "does'nt need people like us" That smacks of somone that can't accept that their attitude and personality renders them to be in the wrong, solely and squarely.... Once he starts going on with himself it's so hard to stop him. I just need to know your opinions of his personality, is it normal to do the things he does? I just need to make him realise that his personality needs changing if he is to get anywhere in life, I am sick of having slanging matches with him because he does'nt know what fair and equal topic management is.
He sounds like Sephiroth from FF7!

Only one option - take him to a crater in the Arctic and kick his arse.

Reply 4
he sounds like a normal teen to me.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Sounds like me, I have some low confidence and treat other people like that. There's nothing wrong with it, some people just are like that, although he sounds a bit weird beyond my own weirdness.
Reply 7
Sounds like me, I have some low confidence and treat other people like that. There's nothing wrong with it, some people just are like that, although he sounds a bit weird beyond my own weirdness.
segat1

I don't act like him one bit though. :redface:
segat1

I don't act like him one bit though. :redface:
Reply 10
DanGrover

Good plan. Unfortunately you'll also have to repeatedly attack his mother as well, because she just won't go away.
Poica
Good plan. Unfortunately you'll also have to repeatedly attack his mother as well, because she just won't go away.

No problem - she is, afterall, a glorified tree.
Poica

That'll inevitably involve killing her then, poica?

What does poica mean? Im intrigued...its a nice sounding name, but its probably very freakish really, whats the definition? something to do with death? :biggrin:
Reply 13
It is a part of growing up, dear. He's going through puberty.

How old is he, btw..
Reply 14
He sounds quite narcisssitic to me. But that's just normal teen behaviour anyhow.

Whether he has narcissistic personality disorder, I don't know. If he's truly ill, then he has to admit it himself and seek help.
Reply 15
wizard
That'll inevitably involve killing her then, poica?

What does poica mean? Im intrigued...its a nice sounding name, but its probably very freakish really, whats the definition? something to do with death? :biggrin:

Poica is Elvish for pure. As my name is Katherine, which means pure, it is essentially what my name would be in Elvish.

Yes I speak elvish. No I'm not a freak.

To the OP, your brother sounds a very lonely creature, really. Probably with a superiority complex to reassure himself that he's better than all these people who hate him. I feel sorry for him.
Reply 16
Poica
Poica is Elvish for pure. As my name is Katherine, which means pure, it is essentially what my name would be in Elvish.

To the OP, your brother sounds a very lonely creature, really. Probably with a superiority complex to reassure himself that he's better than all these people who hate him. I feel sorry for him.

You speak Elvish?! :eek: As in Lord of the Rings stylee? Oooh...exciting...

To the OP, :p: , you say that you are "too mature to hit him", yet you wind him up by "just calling him a mong". :p: :rolleyes: :eek:
Reply 17
Poica
He sounds like me then... I should get to know him.

For what it is worth it is debatable whether Elvish is a true artificial language, Tolkein only ever partially developed it. Klingon is far more developed and has a decent community with a quaterly publication and so on.
Poica

No i didnt mean to say/imply you were...just that it may be freakish as you go around promoting killing alot of the time, kill him/her etc, therefore thought it may have something to do with death...
Reply 19
ferrus
For what it is worth it is debatable whether Elvish is a true artificial language, Tolkein only ever partially developed it. Klingon is far more developed and has a decent community with a quaterly publication and so on.

Perhaps, but Klingon's not really my style. I watch Star Trek, but I prefer LOTR. As far as Elvish is concerned, he developed two languages: Sindarin and Quenya. The grammar for both has been perfectly developed, as have most words. You can hold a decent conversation in either language. I personally speak Quenya.
I don't promote killing, in general. I promote death to all. Note the distinction. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending