The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wow I wish i was related to someone famous like an author. But i don't think i am my family were prity much centured around Ireland i think.
Reply 21
Roger Kirk
Great stuff again...you find stories like this all the time. You'd think in the past people would leave less interesting lives than no, but you find really that they had so many more goings on than we do today...all very fascinating stuff.

Just curious as to what area of the country you aretalking about here and whether there are any close connections between those two of your g-g-grandads above....I have come across people closely related to my family with similar names as you have and they were also closely related together....probably no connection at al....but then names like Rhodes aren't the most common ones about are they?

My Great Great Grandad Thomas Beaumont is from Liversedge/Birstall. Hi wife who he murdered was from Otley.

My Great Great Grandad Joseph Rhodes was from Knaresborough. His wives (who were sisters and maiden name scaife) were from scotton just outside knaresborough.

They are all from England.

Rhodes and Beaumont are the two most popular names around the start of the 20th century. I live in Otley and there are about four rhodes family that I know about and Im only related to one of them. Although saying that, I dont know if I could be distantly related to them.

Hope this is of some help to you.
nic_knock
My Great Great Grandad Thomas Beaumont is from Liversedge/Birstall. Hi wife who he murdered was from Otley.

My Great Great Grandad Joseph Rhodes was from Knaresborough. His wives (who were sisters and maiden name scaife) were from scotton just outside knaresborough.

They are all from England.

Rhodes and Beaumont are the two most popular names around the start of the 20th century. I live in Otley and there are about four rhodes family that I know about and Im only related to one of them. Although saying that, I dont know if I could be distantly related to them.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Although I'm not sure where my Beaumont connection originated, my Rhodes come from up in North Yorkshire.

I'm only related to the Rhodes via-marriage (so far anyway)....a Thomas Rhodes married Mary Fretwell, who I'm related to. It was her second marriage I think. But anyway, Thomas Rhodes can from a place called Kirby Overblow, which I believe is on 5 or 6 miles away from Knaresborough. He was born in about 1820.

There may be no connection between us, but chances are there will be some connection between the Rhodes' here at some point in the recent past (probably in the last 250 years.....maybe...it's unlikely for people with the same surname living in similar areas at some point, not to be related at some time)

But who knows anyway.... :smile:
Reply 23
My great great great great (i'm not quite sure how many) uncle on my mum's side was one of the doctors that went on Scott's erm....voyage...yeah...thus why he's an uncle and not like a grandad.
Reply 24
I'm not sure about my family in the UK (there are pictures and things dating back only 100 years) but its interesting to see how they do it elsewhere:

My uncle in Kenya can recite back our forefather's names for 7 generations, as he is the eldest of the immediate family. There are no written records so its all done verbally. People are kept in order by tribe and clan (all individuals are of a certain clan) at least in my tribe.

So I would say that I am Kanyango Kagir... Kanyango being one of the wives of Kagir, and people from my clan would be descended from her, while others would be *blah blah* Kagir. So in that way, you can tell who is of your tribe (meaning that you are all descended from the same mythological name), who is of your clan, and then who is from your specific subsection of the clan. So the latter would be most closely related to you.

It sounds quite complicated to outsiders, I guess, but its a very good way of knowing who you're related to. Even though individuals wouldn't be remembered, you can know if someone is related to you with just a few words.
Reply 25
My whole family on my mother's side emigrated to America and got lost there.
Are there any websites where you can search for free?
Reply 27
AT82
I am not sure the exact details but they are both direct relates from the early 1800's and it turns out they both lived a few yards away in Chelsea.

This is highly odd, my dads from that area so its there is no surprise on that side, however my mums side of the family are very from Manchester and the Lanchashire area. So my great great great great whatever grandparents would have known each other on both sides 200 miles away.

Its a very small world. It seems that the London side of my grandma's family moved to Manchester for work which how they came setteled in Manchester. My dads side moved to Manchester when my dad moved there for university in the early 70's.

So there is a London in me then I ever realised :eek:

need to take a peek at my family tree when im home. ive seen it once or twice when i was younger but never studied it really. i think its only my mothers side. im fairly sure it goes back to the 1700's at least...
How do you do it? Get Grandparents who are in to geneology in a big way- it's all they ever do, bless them- and a distant American relative called Chuck. Between them, they've traced the family back to about 1470, believe it or not. No-one famous at all! Well, there's a fairly famous cartoonist with the same (rare) surname, but he's no relation, apparently. According to one website, I'm distantly related to the House of Tudor- but there's no other evidence to support that! strange thing is, I've discovered a distant cousin I never knew I had at the same university as me. I havn't spoken to him yet, but will do soon. Spooky!
Reply 29
Wow, I love this sort of stuff. My grandma has a big family tree on her wall at home, which goes all the way back to William the Conqueror (hmmm ... so there's a minute amount of French in me somewhere)
Reply 30
Evil Muffin
Are there any websites where you can search for free?

Its free to search but to look at a record you have to pay at the following sites:

www.ancestry.com

www.ancestry.co.uk

Both very good sites. I have got alot of good information from there.

Latest

Trending

Trending