The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Napier vs. Surrey- opinions please !

I know there are not many students in my field around here ( well, anywhere, haha), but I am going to give this question a shot anyway.

I have been accepted to the MSc in Tourism Marketing at Edinburgh Napier and the University of Surrey. Originally, I had planned on firming Napier, as I was not sure that I would be accepted at Surrey, but to my surprise I was ( some of my undergraduate grades are not that hot).

Surrey is the #1 ranked uni for Tourism, with Napier falling somewhere around the middle. However, my former advisor is a graduate of Napier and has had nothing but good things to say about the quality of education and resources. The facilities for both business schools look to be excellent. Housing is slightly better at Napier and there is also the possibility to live at the IQ housing which is very very nice. I love the idea of living in Edinburgh, but Guildford seems nice as well, and of course, it is close to London which is an advantage.

So, as you can see, I am very torn about which offer to accept. Does anyone who is familiar with one or both of these Uni's, and especially postgraduate education, have any opinion as to which one would be a better choice overall ? I welcome anyones information :smile:
Reply 1
Go to Surrey...
I just finished my masters there, excellent University.

Pros:
Its a LARGE University with excellent facilities on campus (Doubt Napier would come any where near Surrey's, with all respect).

plenty of activities taking place on campus

Plenty of student accommodation options whether on campus or at the Unis Research Park (new accommodation, very VERY nice, common rooms with big screen LCD tvs, table tennis, proper laundry rooms, and endless fields for playing sports... oh forgot to mention the larger sports centre which is as big as the whole campus itself!

bus routes take you from inside ur accommodation complex at research park, takes you to Uni, train station, and town centre in like 10 mintues drive to the furthest distance.

From Guildford station its only 40 minutes to London waterloo... I've been going to london every weekend and had the best time of my life.

town centre has everything you need and you can walk there from campus, cinema is across the street from campus, tesco is in the middle between campus and research park..

large nationalities diversification... i've never been to a uni with such a large mix with people from everywhere in the world and all speak highly about the uni reputation (which is why they all ended up here of course). so if you're international student and yearn to your home country, rest assured that you'll find people there who will ease your homesickness.

Also if you're international student, the Uni is only about 30 minutes by taxi from Heathrow airport (and the ride costs about 35 pounds) which isn't much when compared with other locations.

I'd say go to Surrey and don't bother thinking about Napier.

I don't know where you're from, but to me as an international student I'd choose Surrey over The University of Edinburgh and Oxford!
Reply 2
Thank you for all of the information, I am definitely leaning towards Surrey, I am just trying to make an informed decision :smile:. As a postgraduate, did you live on campus ? That is one thing that I am a bit concerned about, as much of the housing, even at Band D, doesn't seem too appealing.
All I know about Napier is they have a tiny archery team. Useless I know.
Reply 4
Original post by americangirl17
Thank you for all of the information, I am definitely leaning towards Surrey, I am just trying to make an informed decision :smile:. As a postgraduate, did you live on campus ? That is one thing that I am a bit concerned about, as much of the housing, even at Band D, doesn't seem too appealing.

I stayed at Manor Park. Manor Park is located at (now next to) the Surrey Research Park I mentioned. The advantage of manor park is that most of the buildings are new. The old ones are five years old, then you have building blocks that are now two years old (it was brand new when I stayed in), and there are buildings that are now one year old (meaning if you start this september then probably only one person stayed in the room before you.

Don't bother with the banding system. When you contact accommodation staff, just tell them you want to stay at manor park in the new ensuit rooms. thats exactly what i did and i made sure that they put me in one of the new flats.

your flatmates will all be postgraduates as well. in my case my whole building was postgraduates (so its much less noisy).. and you get to choose whether you want same sex flat or you dont mind living with the other gender. i stayed in a mix flat and i believe it was a good choice, everyone was decent and its nice to have gurly touch around (and for you as a girl dunno maybe works same about 'guys' touch around? lol). oh by the way, in manor park you get a tv in the flat (kitchen) and big lcd screens in the common room... this is true only for the new buildings at manor park, older ones dont have lcd tvs only tiny old tvs (if you care about tv ;p).

the good thing about manor park is that you have the sports centre right next to you, and tesco is ten minutes walk. of course you can always take the bus. before i left manor park they have added more bus stops infront almost each building at manor park. so to get from your room to your class room you'll only have to take 20 steps probably (if you're too lazy to walk) ;/

there are of course other accommodation options. hazel farm are cheap, but i think you get to share a room with someone... i don't like the on campus accommodation cuz the town is to tiny and if you're going to attend classes at uni then sleep at campus you'd loose ur mind (at least i'd do ;p)

just google image "manor park surrey" and you'll see how nice the place is :smile:
Reply 5
oh here is something that you might want to know...

you will pay a little extra to stay at manor park new buildings but here is what you will get (and most other accomodations wont have):

in your room:
big proper desk, super fast internet connection (probably one of the fastest in the UK due to the proximity from the Research Park), a telephone with cheap international calls (its really internet phone like skype, but most advantage is that you can phone ur friends in other rooms for free), bookshelves, ensuit, and the rest of typical stuff. I emphasized about the first couple of stuff cuz from my visit to other rooms whether at Surrey or another Unis I noticed that some of them lack these stuff.

in your flat:
the kitchen is really big and each room has its own shelves so no need to fight over shelves ;p, big freezer and a big refrigerator also so plenty of space again, there are cleaners who visit the flat to clean the kitchen and remove the trash. other unis or accommodations dont offer this.

in your building:
there is an elevator... you no longer have to worry about climbing the stares or carrying your bags four stories up! you can answer the door and open the building door for your guests from your flat you don't have to go out!

and you know the rest about common rooms ;p
I'm from Edinburgh, have been to an open day at the campus and my Dad went to Napier so I know a bit about it (seeing as most of the comments here are documenting surrey :wink:). In Edinburgh most people actually see Napier as a bit of a lesser University. I know a University is a University and it shouldn't matter where you get your degree but there is often a stigma attached to Napier. My Dad says that the majority of people who went to Napier in his time were there because it was the only place they could get a degree, not because they were passionate about the subject and I've never heard of anyone who went there fully enjoying their experience there. I would advise you go to Surrey because the Campus seems nicer that Napier's and at Napier's open day for law (I went to it) the staff seemed kinda disorganised and almost uninterested. Don't get me wrong, there may be some exciting inspiring lecturers there, but I didn't, nor has anyone I know, met them.

Hope this helps, sorry if I offend anyone who goes to Napier, just writing what I have seen/experienced/heard.
Reply 7
Thank you everyone. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. NameIess, did you usually take the bus from Manor Park to the Stag Hill campus, or walk ? Is the bus service reasonably priced ?
Reply 8
Many people walk, i'm too lazy to walk in the morning so I usually take the bus on my way to campus. I often walk my way back with my friends though. its not a long walk, there are tracks to walk/ride a bike on all the way to the Uni... security cameras are there along the path though you'd rarely see anyone walking there other than students... speaking of security... the place is really safe. i've never came across anything that made me feel uncomfortable. i've walked many times after midnight and since tesco near manor park is a 24 hours you'd often see other fellow students wandering around at night as well.

regarding the bus ticket, i don't remember the price exactly, but i remember calculating the tickets and it was more economical to buy from Uni the yearly/monthly tickets rather than buying one on the spot every day.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending