The Student Room Group

Bench fees and Stipend

Hello All,

This is my first post here (I'm sorry if it is a repeat).

I have recently been accepted to do a Pharmacology based PhD at the London School of Pharmacy that is funded by a studentship. The studentship says it "covers tuition fees and a maintenance stipend for 36months pegged to the School of Pharmacy rate, £15590 in 2010/11."

Do you think they are giving the £15590 figure as a reference for what was paid to students in 2010/11 for just that year or as the figure for students starting then to cover the entire 36months? If it is the second option it seems a bit low.

On my initial reading I thought the comma before the figure suggests that it is just referring to the stipend that was given to students in 2010/11, and this seems like a reasonable amount for living costs taking into account it is London and therefore slightly above the average. However I sometimes worry about silly things.

Also it says it covers tuition fees and on the London SOP website it says "Tuition fees = £3577 plus bench fees." It then mentions bench fees underneath as additional fees.

Therefore seeing as the PhD is funded by SOP/MRC/ERC do you think that the studentship saying it covers Tuition fees also includes bench fees.

I know that the best way to get a definitive answer would be to go to my potential supervisor, I just wanted to see what other students thought first.
Reply 1
I don't think you have to worry about anything. Everything is covered and you will get £15k per year :smile:
First off, congrats!

I have an offer to do a PhD at Barts and the London starting in September 2011 so we're in the same boat!

My letter clearly said that the stipend would be a minimum of 15590. The minimum stipend rates are set by the research councils every year and all funding in the UK has to at least meet that minimum rate. Stipends rates do go up every year, usually by 300 pounds but I'm not sure of that figure. The stipend rates for 2011/2012 have not been set yet.

As far as bench fees are concerned, since my letter at least does not mention it, I'm assuming it will be covered by the studentship. Bench fees basically cover the costs of getting you a computer and a desk, maybe some software and it's quite likely that all that's already set up and there are no bench fees.
Reply 3
Thanks guys, sometimes I just need some reassurance.

And congrats to you Alleycat. What are you going to be researching? (I am a bit nosey).
Original post by Bevanarama
Thanks guys, sometimes I just need some reassurance.

And congrats to you Alleycat. What are you going to be researching? (I am a bit nosey).

I'm going to be doing clinical research in lung epithelial cells-molecular and cellular biology with some immunology. You? Do you already live in London or are you also gonna be looking for accommodation for when you move there?
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
I'm going to be doing clinical research in lung epithelial cells-molecular and cellular biology with some immunology. You? Do you already live in London or are you also gonna be looking for accommodation for when you move there?

I am going to be looking at "The functional role of pre-synaptic calcium channels in the entorhinal cortex during epileptogenesis", so neuropharmacology.

No I don't live in London at the moment, will be looking for a place over the summer. You?
I am going to be looking at "The functional role of pre-synaptic calcium channels in the entorhinal cortex during epileptogenesis", so neuropharmacology.

No I don't live in London at the moment, will be looking for a place over the summer. You?

I'm in York at the moment coz that's where I'm doing my undergrad. I'm going home to India over the summer so trying to see if I can sort something out either before I leave or when I come back in September. A bit nerve racking really. I'm assuming you're planning to live in private accommodation?
Reply 7
Yeah most probably. I was looking at living in Walthamstow (its cheap) and commuting in by bike everyday (14mile round trip).

I've been lucky that a few of my friends are moving to London at about the same time, so could possibly live with them.
Yeah most probably. I was looking at living in Walthamstow (its cheap) and commuting in by bike everyday (14mile round trip).

I've been lucky that a few of my friends are moving to London at about the same time, so could possibly live with them.

Yeah that is lucky...I know a lot of people who already live in London but no one who's moving there in September....I hope something works out soon...am so used to having things sorted out well in advance and really don't like this 'you have to wait till at least June/July or even later to sort out accommodation in London'!
Reply 9
I normally get accommodation and things sorted out quite early, but this year I am so much more chilled out about sorting it out than in previous years (I attribute it to having a very stressful last few months and every stressor feels like nothing in comparison, now that I have my dream PhD).

Will probably leave it until August / Early September to sort it out
Haha I agree completely except for the fact that I'm international and so will be at home during the summer. Arranging accommodation from overseas is difficult, dangerous and stupid in my opinion and I will need somewhere to stay when I arrive in London on the 1st of September and hence the rush to try and get things sorted asap while I'm still in the country and able to talk to people on the phone/view places.

I can't wait to start on my PhD but I still have 3 exams before I finish my undergrad degree...2 weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending