The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University? Hints, tips and advice please!

Hi All!
I'm in the midst of pondering a career change (at an incredibly 'mature' 24 years of age...) to something healthcare related. Anyone out there done an Open University course or two? I'm thinking of signing up for SD226, Biological Psychology. I've got an A Level Human Biology, and a degree in history... so not much background.

Anyone out there done this course, or something similar? How was it? What did you like/dislike, and how did it help you get into university?

All comments gratefully received!
Ta,

J
x
Reply 1
Hiya, a friend is doing his Engineeringdegree through OU, and finds it works fine for him whilst working. Is hard work and lots of discipline though andsome tutors give better support than others. ...
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'm having a little ponder about it - the course looks great, but OU discourage first timers from taking it without doing one of the more generalist science courses first. I'm pretty broke and not that keen on the general courses - and my study skills are pretty hot, so I am hoping (!) that I can get away with it by working like a demon. All depends on my job situation though. I have to register for the course by the end of this week - so if my job isn't all sorted out, I will have to wait (lest I have no money in Jan!).

Oh it's all soooo complicated!

Good luck with the optom application - I work as a medical sec in an eye hospital! We like optometrists!

:smile:
Reply 3
Hi Jo,

I'm an OU student.
I'm also thinking of doing SD226 Biological Psychology starting in Feb. I've spoken to a course advisor and apparently its a very demanding and challenging course.
Do you have a specific career in mind or do you just want to pursue some study with the OU?

Lottie.
Reply 4
Jo B
Hi All!
I'm in the midst of pondering a career change (at an incredibly 'mature' 24 years of age...) to something healthcare related.

UOL have a number of postgraduate health related degrees that you would be eligible for.

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/prospective_students/postgraduate/index.php

Latest