The Student Room Group

Is attendance compulsory?

I just wonder if attendance is compulsory in Britain postgraduate programs.
Maybe it is a stupid question but I am from a different educational background.

Can I miss 2 or 3 lessons per term without any serious consequences? Or can I miss a lesson only in case of illnesses?

In case of absence, is anybody looking for you if you live in the university campus?

Thank you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
It probably varies between departments how much (if anything) is compulsory and how seriously they take it if you don't turn up, but there should be some information in your course handbook.
As a rule of thumb, though, it's a bad idea to miss classes unless it's for a good reason. Even if you don't get thrown out for it.
Reply 2
For most of the universities it's not compulsory (they don't care!). But if you're an overseas student then the university needs to report your attendance to the Boarder Agency, then it might be important although I don't know what would they do with the data.
Reply 3
Its probably best not to miss things cause sometimes lecturers don't put notes up online etc - however it isn't compulsary and they probably won't mind unless your missing more than you are actually attending!
Reply 4
In the sciences, attendance at laboratory based practical sessions is often registered. If you miss the lab session for no particular reason, you normally won't be allowed to take the session at another time and you will score zero if there are any examination points to be gained from that session.
Reply 5
It's pretty important for the learning process. It will also show the tutor that you have relative interest and enthusiasm for the subject.
Original post by cook2011
I just wonder if attendance is compulsory in Britain postgraduate programs.
Maybe it is a stupid question but I am from a different educational background.

Can I miss 2 or 3 lessons per term without any serious consequences? Or can I miss a lesson only in case of illnesses?

In case of absence, is anybody looking for you if you live in the university campus?

Thank you.

On my MA, you weren't allowed to miss more than 2 classes. If you did, you would be deregistered from the module and could have potentially ended up failing the degree.
Reply 7
Original post by tigermoth99
On my MA, you weren't allowed to miss more than 2 classes. If you did, you would be deregistered from the module and could have potentially ended up failing the degree.

That is quite severe! I think I would like that though... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending