The Student Room Group

Philosophy applicants for 2012 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fnicholl
k thanks for the advice. i only thought king's because my teacher said i should be considering a london uni.

where else do you think i should apply?

sheffield is a big lively city, with a good reputation, and the course itself has some really interesting modules (to me anyway).

manchester is another option especially if you're interested in the social side, and their accommodation is pretty awesome. havent looked at much of their course though as im not applying there.
*sigh* anyone know if durham's department is big in terms of number of students? or is it like oxford where they take in like 40 people.
also anyone know if it's the same with the theology department? i want to know the chances of me getting an offer....
Reply 182
Original post by fexysucker
sheffield is a big lively city, with a good reputation, and the course itself has some really interesting modules (to me anyway).

manchester is another option especially if you're interested in the social side, and their accommodation is pretty awesome. havent looked at much of their course though as im not applying there.

yeah ive heard sheffield is good but apparently manchester has really low student satisfaction and its really low on the league tables for philosophy
Reply 183
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Yeah I just looked and it says AAB/A*AC/A*BB so they do sound pretty flexible. I can't put them down as a choice though because I've already got York and Liverpool down which are both AAB. :frown:

why is nottingham putting its grades up? surely unis should be putting their grades down because less people will apply because of the higher fees??
Reply 184
k thanks for the advice. i only thought king's because my teacher said i should be considering a london uni.

where else do you think i should apply?

London is sick , I live there at the moment and it's where I want to be , and you can take modules from any London uni being here. Just gamble, why not, KCL is unreal and anyone would be delighted to get in
Reply 185
Hi!

I am applying for single honours philosophy, studying english, philosophy, psychology, general studies and epq at a2. Predicted 4 As and a B (in gen studs). Have applied to:

KCL
York
Sussex
Cardiff
Nottingham.

Really annoyed by the change to nottingham grade tariff though :frown: all my unis are aab now except KCL.
Reply 186
Original post by edgood93
London is sick , I live there at the moment and it's where I want to be , and you can take modules from any London uni being here. Just gamble, why not, KCL is unreal and anyone would be delighted to get in

Where can you 'take modules from any london uni' ??????? I don't think this is true. I'm at Heythrop and, no one has said - 'oh you can take a X module at UCL if you want?' And yes, Heythrop is a college of the University of London just like KCL, UCL, etc etc.
Reply 187
Original post by Peachz
Where can you 'take modules from any london uni' ??????? I don't think this is true. I'm at Heythrop and, no one has said - 'oh you can take a X module at UCL if you want?' And yes, Heythrop is a college of the University of London just like KCL, UCL, etc etc.

whats heythrop like?? apparently the social side isnt very good...
Reply 188
whats heythrop like?? apparently the social side isnt very good...

Good job at avoiding my question?

And, I don't know. I don't live in halls, I live in some private halls at Wembley. So a lot of my friends are from Westminster and other places and we go out quite a lot - when money permits it.
Reply 189
Original post by Peachz

If you're at KCL or UCL you can do modules at the other, not sure about the other UoL uni's though..
Reply 190
Original post by Peachz

at royal holloway which is in EGHAM they confirmed this
Original post by Peachz
Good job at avoiding my question?

And, I don't know. I don't live in halls, I live in some private halls at Wembley. So a lot of my friends are from Westminster and other places and we go out quite a lot - when money permits it.

To be fair, I doubt she knows the answer considering she's applying this year...
Reply 192
Applying for Philosophy and English combined. Can't wait for it! :smile:
predicted AAB
Applied to:
UEA
Sheffield
Glasgow
Kent
Essex

having not visited 3 of them , it is a big risk , but you have to love Philosophy! so interesting ! :smile:
Reply 193
unconditional from nottingham :biggrin:

unconditional from nottingham :biggrin:

Unconditional?! wowies! Well done :biggrin:
UCAS was sent off today!
applied to:

Sheffield, Lancaster, Nottingham, Essex and Stirling(be my insurance hopefully)

eeek! :biggrin:
Reply 196
I should be sending my UCAS off within the next few days, predicted grades ABB, applying to:

1. Lancaster University- AAB- MATHEMATICS AND PHILOSOPHY

2. University of Birmingham- ABB- MATHEMATICS AND PHILOSOPHY

3. University of Glasgow- ABB- MATHEMATICS AND PHILOSOPHY

4. University of Liverpool- ABB- MATHEMATICS AND PHILOSOPHY

5. Keele University- BBB- MATHEMATICS AND PHILOSOPHY

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by jacksonriddle
durham is actually amazing. one of their professors came to talk to our school about a combined offers degree which sounds quite interesting, but it's an excellent uni and they're great at teaching philosophy. the reason i haven't applied myself is because i've heard it's quiet, and i come from a big city and like cities, but yeah, i had a lovely teacher who went there and he said "i never got into any fights in uni... why would i, i went to durham"
lots of my friends are considering it because it's such a great uni, if you like beautiful quiet towns it might be your thing.

Thanks for your inputs - Durham it was in the end ! Sorry ts taken me a while to get back
Original post by roxypd
Thanks for your inputs - Durham it was in the end ! Sorry ts taken me a while to get back

Haha, i've decided to apply to it as my reach, since my teachers have decided to predict me with enough to make the entry requirements. just waiting to confirm my other choices before the apps.
which college did you apply to?
Reply 199
Original post by jacksonriddle
Haha, i've decided to apply to it as my reach, since my teachers have decided to predict me with enough to make the entry requirements. just waiting to confirm my other choices before the apps.
which college did you apply to?

University College - it looks gorgeous ! How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending